News AMD's Q2 2022, yet another quarter of revenue growth

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I would say those that are saying Intel loss is due to the current environment (not sure the exact phrase) is why they are loosing money is all excuses. 70% growth y/y ? Thats insane.

Reactions: Drazick and Leeea

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
There is a reason AMD omitted Q/Q results for Q2. Basically Q1 had half of Xilinx revenue. Q2 had full Xilinx revenue of 1.2Billion. Below is Q1 result

1659472378810.png

Overall Q/Q gains are flattish (+100M) for the core business if leaving out Xilinx. But not bad given the economic and geopolitical environment.

Last edited:

rainy

Jul 17, 2013
There is a reason AMD omitted Q/Q results for Q2. Basically Q1 had half of Xilinx revenue. Q2 had full Xilinx revenue of 1.2Billion. Below is Q1 result

View attachment 65262

Overall gains are flattish (+100M) for the core business if leaving out Xilinx. But not bad given the economic and geopolitical environment.

Your first sentence sounds somehow strange: Xilinx is right now part of AMD, why they should keep results separated?

Btw, Intel do not count Altera results?

Last edited:

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017

View attachment 65262

Overall gains are flattish (+100M) for the core business if leaving out Xilinx. But not bad given the economic and geopolitical environment.
Well Y/Y is the only relevant metric just because of all the seasonal shenanigans. Like holidays, back to school, Q3 ramp for consoles etc. Doing Q/Q comparisons is pretty pointless due to that because it just doesn't work on an "accurate" basis.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Excluding Xilinx revenue increased within their traditional segments, if anything Intel s numbers are a prove that the market contracted significantly and that AMD managed to sort out some growth despite this downturn.

Reactions: Lodix

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
Excluding Xilinx revenue increased within their traditional segments, if anything Intel s numbers are a prove that the market contracted significantly and that AMD managed to sort out some growth despite this downturn.
That's the point, AMD came out unscathed in this environment. Not sure why people don't like real data (or at least talk it down).
Besides, it was nobody else other than AMD adding it there in the first place when it was rosy.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That's the point, AMD came out unscathed in this environment. Not sure why people don't like real data (or at least talk it down).
Besides, it was nobody else other than AMD adding it there in the first place when it was rosy.
I am not talking it down, but in the Intel Q2 thread, TheElf wants to know hy they has 70% revenue growth and net income was down 37%. I have no idea about all this, maybe you can explain it to him ?

Also, I would says those who support Intel are the ones talking it down.

Reactions: Drazick

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
I am not talking it down, but in the Intel Q2 thread, TheElf wants to know hy they has 70% revenue growth and net income was down 37%. I have no idea about all this, maybe you can explain it to him ?

Also, I would says those who support Intel are the ones talking it down.

They marked a big operating loss that eat most of the operating income, dunno what it is exactly, either it s an accountatility trick to reduce taxes, or eventually payements that were sent to TSMC for future waffers since this firm asked for payements in advance.

Jun 18, 2022
I'm more curious in the actual breakdown. The whole "70%" is across the board Y/Y, but when you seem to look into the numbers, I found this slide interesting.

Slide AMD.png

Versus Q1 2022. It looks like Embedded is what really had a boost. Gaming was actually down. Client was a wash. Data Center was $1,486 vs $1293, so not a huge jump or market share gain. So, there was no huge jump in Data Center or Client this quarter?

As a whole, AMD actual revenue was only a $0.663. Q1 was $5,887 vs $6,550.

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017
Here.

0ee79b3c13e5b5a8a87e1a476d9ff102.png

There's your answer for the GAAP numbers.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
I'm more curious in the actual breakdown. The whole "70%" is across the board, but when you seem to look into the numbers, I found this slide interesting.

View attachment 65263

Versus Q1 2022. It looks like Embedded is what really had a boost. Gaming was actually down. Client was a wash. Data Center was $1,486 vs $1293, so not a huge jump or market share gain. So, there was no huge jump in Data Center or Client this quarter?

Yep, this is the one. Like mentioned, traditional DC and Client are flattish but not bad in this environment.
Hopefully the upcoming refresh cycle changes things a bit. "Digestion" anyone?
DC + AECG operates in B2B mainly so they won't get affected by seasonality.
AMD SP is always wild so won't bother commenting on that.
Lots of the cost of the Xilinx acquisition is also being absorbed which is affecting profits.
Embedded is Xilinx for now. (AECG - Adaptive + Ryzen Embedded)

Reactions: lightmanek

FangBLade

Apr 13, 2022
Xilinx and Pensando acquisition were costly, but it opens new market for AMD, so AMD will have even bigger growth after full Xilinx + Pensando integration, potential is huge.

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017

Like I said: If you actually want to compare numbers from any earnings report do it with those from the same quarter a year ago. Anything else doesn't give you a good comparison because of all the seasonal stuff which impacts numbers.

That's why all companies are doing it mainly Y/Y.

Jun 18, 2022
Like I said: If you actually want to compare numbers from any earnings report do it with those from the same quarter a year ago. Anything else doesn't give you a good comparison because of all the seasonal stuff which impacts numbers.

I know, but exactly what season stuff happened between Jan-Mar and Apr-Jun? I mean, for the sake of just seeing actual progression, comparing it to last quarter is interesting. You are also not factoring in that last year was a ramp up year due to overall consumer purchasing during a pandemic and you're taking where they were at the same point last year vs. right now, not considering all of that. It's just an observation and doesn't look like they had much of a boost this year. So, has the market settled or is AMD still on an upward trend? Looking at the short-term data, it would appear things sort of leveled off. It'll probably increase as the year goes on and we do get into the real holiday season.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003

Typically, but in the case of a company that is growing as rapidly as AMD, Q/Q is arguably more important. If Q2 growth was, say, 25% Y/Y, that would be disastrous in this context.

Reactions: Leeea and Joe NYC