Article AMD's Dr. Lisa Su to Receive Semiconductor Industry's Top Honor

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I had to look it up, as I had no clue why it was ironic, but the founder of Intel award being given to the AMD CEO ? Yes ironic.
The founders of Intel are legends. Some of the most important engineering minds in modern history. They must be turning over in their graves seeing Intel run into the ground by incompetent bean counters.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I had to look it up, as I had no clue why it was ironic, but the founder of Intel award being given to the AMD CEO ? Yes ironic.
In that context, yeah. There's medals and awards that invoke his name. The IEEE medal is sponsored by Intel and they've given it out to people at non Intel companies, including competitors in some fields of computing.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I'm all for it. Considering I bought a lot of AMD stock at about $40 a share earlier this year and held on to it. Or it was just luck I bought it then.

Mar 11, 2004

My amusment comes from the name pronunciation. ("noice!" is a modern hip way of saying "nice!" Its even funnier "N Noyce" like you're really exaggerating the n)

The founders of Intel are legends. Some of the most important engineering minds in modern history. They must be turning over in their graves seeing Intel run into the ground by incompetent bean counters.

Is it bean counters though? It was my understanding it was more just bad management with no real leadership or aim or understanding of what to do other than hold to their anti-competitive business tactics. Honestly its hard to argue its bean counters considering Intel literally threw billions away on things that went nowhere (GPU development prior to most recent, mobile, even wearable tech - they literally paid fashion designers to put LEDs in dresses and other). Heck, while their chips were riddled with major security flaws they spent billions to buy McAfee (which that looks really interesting in hindsight...).

Intel easily could have spent the same money but poured it into development and engineering and likely been much much much better off.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scannall

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
The other day I was tripping and couldn't remember if it was 2020 or 2021. This years most likely the worst year of my life so far.
Yup. Confused and thinking we were in 2019 led me to waste half of Saturday trying to figure out why work stuff wasn't working properly. WFH was nice at first but it's become a chore. My sleep schedule is wrecked. I find myself often tired or fed up with everything and everyone. Watched some standup on youtube the other day. Cheered me up a little bit.

Hopefully we'll be out of this mess by June. OTOH, my pool is getting good use for once. I've taken a dip 2-3x a day ever since the weather warmed up. I do a few laps and then float around or lay on a recliner and have a beer.

Reactions: Tlh97 and zinfamous