Amd's answer to fermi

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Pictures taken by me :p

Yes, nice card, I don't think it was longer then a reference 5970 when I held it, but can't say for sure ... Next time I visit Cebit, I take two things, screwdrivers and a ruler :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If the rumours are accurate, AMD's response will initially be: Being in Stock

CitanUzuki

Jan 8, 2009
why are people touting these monster 4gig 1000$ cards as "amd's answer to fermi". All indications point to these being a limited run from each manufacturer, and insanely priced. This isn't amd's answer to anything, its just board partners putting out a niche product.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
why are people touting these monster 4gig 1000$ cards as "amd's answer to fermi". All indications point to these being a limited run from each manufacturer, and insanely priced. This isn't amd's answer to anything, its just board partners putting out a niche product.

part marketing

part because they can do it

ATI will have 2 cards that beat the GTX 480, albeit with dual GPU solutions.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Isnt that what Fermi's going to be?

shaynoa

Feb 14, 2010
regardless of how you look at ati 5970 4gig card it will shit over fermi and this is why i think nvidia is holding back cause they know amd is going to pull out the big guns,
it dosent matter what nvidia do amd are winning this race and will do so for at least 2 to 3 more years

shaynoa

Feb 14, 2010
to finish off nvidia all amd have to do is drop the prices now and nvidia is dead in the water ,ati 5970 4 gig is a hot price but people will pay it,
wouldnt you buy ati a massive card that will run anything for years to come

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Looking past price, the cooling on that thing really puzzles me. A single blower in the middle between 2 GPUs. I'm going to assume that means air is going to be moved over both GPUs, which totally negates the point of "intakes" in the back. That thing has to put off massive heat, and I wouldn't want any of that going back into my case. Why can't they do something like: Back or Case <----GPU<---Fan<----GPU<---Fan<---Intake. Then again at $1000 dollars, anyone who buys this is probably gonna wanna watercool it. I'm sure EK or someone will make a custom block for it.