"amdflaws.com" - What is this?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
I think even though Intel might wish to see AMD fail on the market, I don't think they will stoop this low.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Sponsored by intel???:D
No way.
Besides these youngsters and noobs dont even know who they are working for.
If unlucky they will be found at the buttom of a lake. While others earn the real money. Stupid rednecks.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I'm surprised it's been picked up already without waiting for confirmation or at least a response from AMD.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I do not really like how Ian Cutress has written the text. Nothing has been proven, though his choice of words i find misleading.
As fast reporting I thought the article was alright. But with what we know now the article is highly misleading, and it's disappointing that the article remains unchanged while being in a premium spot on the homepage. (This case is a good check for due diligence or lack thereof by a lot of sites right now.)

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
How silly. They didn't realize this would be seen through in mere minutes?

There's some possible evidence that the main culprit behind all this was actually Viceroy, an "investment" company who is apparently infamous in South Africa for publishing lies as part of "market research" into companies which cause a company's stock price to crash. Of course Viceroy has heavily shorted that stock which gives them a nice payday. They've already done it twice and my guess is that the heat they were receiving was getting to be too much, so instead they decided to use a "hired gun" to do the "research" while they profit off of the short.

None of this is proven, but there does seem to be some things between Viceroy's earlier tactics that are just a little too similar to what happened here with AMD. It could be that Viceroy just happened to be hoping AMD stock price would crash when the CTS-Labs report came out so they jumped on it to make money off their position, but I actually find that to be a bit less believable given the timing of events.

https://twitter.com/cataclysmza/status/973624240317652992

May 11, 2008
There's some possible evidence that the main culprit behind all this was actually Viceroy, an "investment" company who is apparently infamous in South Africa for publishing lies as part of "market research" into companies which cause a company's stock price to crash. Of course Viceroy has heavily shorted that stock which gives them a nice payday. They've already done it twice and my guess is that the heat they were receiving was getting to be too much, so instead they decided to use a "hired gun" to do the "research" while they profit off of the short.

None of this is proven, but there does seem to be some things between Viceroy's earlier tactics that are just a little too similar to what happened here with AMD. It could be that Viceroy just happened to be hoping AMD stock price would crash when the CTS-Labs report came out so they jumped on it to make money off their position, but I actually find that to be a bit less believable given the timing of events.

https://twitter.com/cataclysmza/status/973624240317652992

Also there is an another option.
1 Let the AMD stock drop.
2 Buy lot of AMD stock for a lower price.
3 CTS-LABS is a lie, stock rises.
4 ryzen 2000 comes out, rumors are true and is a very good cpu.
5 AMD stock price rises to very high heights.
6 Sell AMD stock again to people wanting to lift along on AMD's success.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Also there is an another option.
1 Let the AMD stock drop.
2 Buy lot of AMD stock for a lower price.
3 CTS-LABS is a lie, stock rises.
4 ryzen 2000 comes out, rumors are true and is a very good cpu.
5 AMD stock price rises to very high heights.
6 Sell AMD stock again to people wanting to lift along on AMD's success.

uh right, that's similar to the point of the scam, though Viceroy seems to be short-sellers. Still, the point is to profit by manipulating stock prices to crash.

May 11, 2008
uh right, that's similar to the point of the scam, though Viceroy seems to be short-sellers. Still, the point is to profit by manipulating stock prices to crash.

Of course it is similar in the sense to manipulate the stock for profit.
And AMD is a popular target for scam artists.
WIth short selling, you want the stock to go down.
Here it is in reverse, you want it to go up but you want to buy it cheap. Hence the bad press to lower the stock price. However in my example you need to have the money to do so.
It is interesting to see if there were any AMD stock buyers (and who are they)when the stock dropped a bit or when it drops some more until ryzen 2000.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Unbelievable....Pretty bad when the media runs with it and the collective net debunks it within hours.

Won't name any sites but those who repeated it should retract it and make a public apology for going into derp mode.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
I do not really like how Ian Cutress has written the text. Nothing has been proven, though his choice of words i find misleading.

Well, "powered by the level 0 of research before writing an article+basic logic" is failed very hard.:cool:

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012

This,despite the whole host of information hinting that CTS Labs and Viceroy are upto no good. I don't know why he is ignoring this thread or the Reddit thread.

Is "trailofbits" a famous security outfit?? What is their connection to CTS Labs and Viceroy?? Why were they given a week to look at these allegations,but AMD 24 hours?? Seems,right dodgy if you ask me!!

caswow

Sep 18, 2013

oh got this is getting seriously out of control. this will damage the reputation of anandtech...

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Lmao at Ian Cutress' tweet calling vulnerabilities that require administrator privileges to exploit "real".
This,despite the whole host of information hinting that CTS Labs and Viceroy are upto no good. I don't know why he is ignoring this thread or the Reddit thread.
I think him not reading his own site is not news unfortunately.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
Lmao at Ian Cutress' tweet calling vulnerabilities that require administrator privileges to exploit "real".
Just because you need higher privileges to execute doesn't mean it isn't a vulnerability... It does make it a lot less severe though.

Reactions: Jan Olšan