AMD Zeppelin codename confirmed and perhaps 32 cores per socket

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-opteron-processor-32-core/

AMD’s Zen Based Opteron Processors To Feature 32 Cores in MCM Package – 8 Channel DDR4 Memory Support

In a discussion related to technology and market trends for the data center, Liviu Valsan (computing engineer at CERN) showcased slides which detailed AMD’s upcoming Opteron processors that feature their x86 Zen core architecture. The session not only provided details on AMD’s next generation processors but also mentioned Intel’s Broadwell-EP chips along with enterprise aimed storage and memory solutions.

medish.jpg

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Current Opterons are from 2012 as the first error. His speech about "die" is the second. Seems he just copy/pasted something from random sources.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Current Opterons are from 2012 as the first error. His speech about "die" is the second. Seems he just copy/pasted something from random sources.

Methink that it s your comment that is random....

https://cds.cern.ch/record/2128536?ln=ja

The CERN Data Centre is a constantly evolving computing facility with thousands of servers and tens of petabytes of storage being deployed every year. By making use of energy efficient and cost effective computing equipment we are able to satisfy the ever increasing capacity demands coming from CERN's physics program, within the confines of our ageing Computer Centre building. In this ITTF session we will provide an update on data centre technologies and market trends in the fields of server processors, memory, storage technologies (solid state as well as spinning media) and management interfaces for servers. We will begin by giving an update on Intel's upcoming server processor generation (Xeon E5-2600 v4, Broadwell-EP) as well as AMD’s future x86 processors.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de

FlanK3r

Sep 15, 2009
I think, its the reason to get something from servers back to AMD. Because they need better market share not only in desktops, but mainly in servers and notebooks segment.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
I am thinking if this 32 Core makes perfect match for Web hosting / Cloud Market. Which is blooming right now and Intel enjoying.

I wonder if AMD would also offer CPU for In Memory computing. So rather then 32 Core with 8 Channel ( 16 DIMMS, 512GB Memory, or even 1TB ), may be 8 core with 8 Channel.

I do think Xeon need some competition, if AMD just support more memory capacity would be a huge win.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
I am thinking if this 32 Core makes perfect match for Web hosting / Cloud Market. Which is blooming right now and Intel enjoying.

I wonder if AMD would also offer CPU for In Memory computing. So rather then 32 Core with 8 Channel ( 16 DIMMS, 512GB Memory, or even 1TB ), may be 8 core with 8 Channel.

I do think Xeon need some competition, if AMD just support more memory capacity would be a huge win.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
As with most AMD press announcements, I'll wait for actual 3rd party benchmark results before I get excited.

Who knows, they might turn out to be awesome.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de

For in memory computing the cores are so small and so close to memory, that the access is very different to the DDRx channel architecture.

As with most AMD press announcements, I'll wait for actual 3rd party benchmark results before I get excited.

Who knows, they might turn out to be awesome.
Is that some predefined text? There was no press announcement in this regard. ;)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
For in memory computing the cores are so small and so close to memory, that the access is very different to the DDRx channel architecture.

Is that some predefined text? There was no press announcement in this regard. ;)

Oh, geez... it's not even a press release. Just a rumor. Anyway... I'll stick with my opinion and wait for the benchmarks.