AMD Zen - Key Dates and Information

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
Incorrect. No "roadmap" that would put Summit Ridge at Q1 2016 has ever leaked. (Unless there was some fake that I missed.)

The 2015/2016 roadmap from the 2015 financial analyst day that first shows Summit Ridge probably counted with Q4 2016 launch. Which they still hoped to achieve that as far as Q1 2016 I think. Same for the "Zen & Zen+" slide, which BTW isn't actually supposed to be an official product roadmap, BTW.

"Q4 year X" products are routinelly shown as "year X" products in roadmaps.

Sven_eng

Nov 1, 2016
AMD has stated many times that Zen has taken 4 years, which is not a long time for a CPU architecture.

blublub

Jul 19, 2016
Didnt SU repeatedly and quite recently say Zen would be sampling in Q4 16 with volume shipments in 2017?
She did, but also said that a small volume would ship at the end if Q4 - AMD we all know that this didn't work.

So either AMD had to fix a bug until the very end or one of their ES versions turned out to clock so well that they decided to do another spin and now they are stretching their Q1 target to the max....Damn it

Let's really hope it's not gonna be the last week of Q1 with Ryzen in stores

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
She did, but also said that a small volume would ship at the end if Q4 - AMD we all know that this didn't work.

Proof there was no "small volume" shipping during Q4 '16?

Sureley they must have been somewhere along their journey in 2016 with only ~10 weeks in '17 before launch/availability.

blublub

Jul 19, 2016
Proof there was no "small volume" shipping during Q4 '16?

Sureley they must have been somewhere along their journey in 2016 with only ~10 weeks in '17 before launch/availability.
By that I imagined shipment to OEMs so that the launch would have been in December. But that didn't happen and we only got a preview

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
It was probably delayed for the sake of increasing clockspeeds and fixing the remaining bugs. Also possible is they weren't confident in yields yet, so they took the time to refine the process too. Or it could have meant sampling to partners or large coporations under an NDA. Or it could be a matter of building stock after underestimating demand that a Q4 launch would bring.

Too many reasons to come to a conclusion tbh. I'd go with fixing bugs and increasing clockspeeds personally.

FlanK3r

Sep 15, 2009
And its hard working at BIOS for engineers ( both platform), means Kaby Lake and Summit Ridge. And Intel has stronger name in busssines, so vednors must focused first at Intel motherboards+BIOSes