AMD X399 !!!!!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I'm still waiting for some X300 goodness.

For the pro sector stability is God, and I'm not sure Ryzen has reached that level yet. But who knows, maybe the prosumer/enthusiast segment is the perfect testing ground...
Why not launch here before servers?
Makes sense to run here for a month or two before servers. I think they use pressure and fast launch as a wake up call. Small guy strategy. I think it have procen right for Ryzen.
I am sure they are where they want to be regarding mem freq after the may agesa but perhaps they want to shave off a few ns mem latency again before they head off?

Its damn interesting if they want to wait before or after Intel launches skl x. What do you guys guess they do and why?

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
What do you guys guess they do and why?

If their stability is as good as original launch... I'd wait.
If their stability is as good as Zen at the start of April, I'd launch.

Move first and pre-empt Intel. It'd fair take the wind out* of SKL-X if AMD already had a platform on the market faster on most INT scaleable workloads and comparable on FP... AMD would have come from nowhere in February to making the Intel the afterthought inside of 4 months.

*more than just the PR, if folks seen the potential of the X399 platform relative to the new SKL-X, they'd be more willing to wait on any flakiness in the platform to firm up.

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/67lpkb/amd_msi_press_event_x399vega_reveal/

Interesting. Here's hoping we get a bit more visibility of whats going on.

Chances seem low. Why involve MSI? Showcasing motherboards? Seems more likely that this is Vega, and if it has anything to do with Ryzen, then it's about the performance of the combination. Maybe in DX12, as that seems to be a hot topic, and maybe DX12 + many cores puts Vega performance in the best (competitive) light.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Chances seem low. Why involve MSI? Showcasing motherboards? Seems more likely that this is Vega, and if it has anything to do with Ryzen, then it's about the performance of the combination. Maybe in DX12, as that seems to be a hot topic, and maybe DX12 + many cores puts Vega performance in the best (competitive) light.
Yeah it would make more sense if MSI was the launch partner/reference model manufacturer for a card announcement. MSI isn't involved enough in any Workstation market to be a good launch partner.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Right now... you'd say neither are AMD!!
Well as a parts supplier they wouldn't need to be in the market at any given moment. But it certainly puts them on their back foot.

But still you wouldn't announce a Workstation CPU in Texas, with a Taiwanese company with no workstation footprint, and secretly invite all the major tech news guys. Not in Dells back yard. I think they are building market clout and Dell or HP will be the x390 launch partner.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I doubt that. They are still months away from Raven Ridge. The market for a 60w+ CPU with no igpu in a laptop is really really small and out of MSI's comfort level.
They teased 180w 32c server so why should 45w 8c be doable using the same die they run now?

I can easily see a huge market and a fantastic branding opportunity for both mobile gaming and workstations by launching 45 and 60w tdp mobile 8c parts. I think its a huge market. Intel sell lots of high margin 45w tdp mobile stuff and have for years.

Zen is so crazy efficient at low v its the most obvious target. It would be a blast and transform laptops to a new level. A fantastic opportunity.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So I guess its on now. Yes, its on now. AMD will have 25% more cores and Intel will have probably about 15-20% more IPC. Basically if this is all true then I expect AMD to simply come out with something as fast or even faster than intel's 12 core chip, and yes, you just watch AMD charge half of Intel's price...again. Oh, but wait, they will have a 12 core chip as well. Oh my good god almighty. I think AMD has a real chance to make Intel's entire 8+ core lineup totally obsolete due to price alone. Intel will want your first born's beating heart for anything greater than 8 cores. I can't wait to watch Intel sweat.
The way I see it, Intel should only be relevant in the 6 cores or less market where clocks and IPC matter more for the mainstream uses like gaming and herping + derping.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Great, more pressure on SKX prices :)
Anywho, do we have a target quarter for this workstation platform?

Reactions: Drazick

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
AMD will have 25% more cores

I know I shouldn't be getting all uptight, but it's 33% more cores -- 12 * (4/3) = 16.

Intel will have probably about 15-20% more IPC.

Average, although AVX2 will show heavy Intel advantage. Which is to say, there will be workloads that will skew heavily in Intel's favor.
Additionally, Intel will likely have more OC headroom, given that you can actually run their Broadwell line anywhere between 4 and 4.3Ghz or so without jacking the voltage too high. Given Intel is feeling a little heat, I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped Skylake with more aggressive clocks from the start.

I hope that the 16 core is competitive, but I wouldn't expect it to win in all cases.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Average, although AVX2 will show heavy Intel advantage. Which is to say, there will be workloads that will skew heavily in Intel's favor

Some niggling little feeling is gnawing at me. I'm *guessing* at some point, the server chips will have Vega cores on them, for OpenCL. Which should address the AVX difference nicely.

w3rd

Mar 1, 2017
As a Gamer, I am more interested in the X399 platform, than these CPUs.
I wonder how it will stack up against an equivalent X370 platform, in gaming..? (ie: Battlefield)

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017

Hmm... BGA?

AMD-Data-Center-Presentation-20_VC.jpg

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
Some niggling little feeling is gnawing at me. I'm *guessing* at some point, the server chips will have Vega cores on them, for OpenCL. Which should address the AVX difference nicely.

Assuming software takes advantage of it. I suspect the next revision of Zen will address some of the bigger IPC differences, although I don't know if they'll go all the way to AVX-512. I honestly don't think Intel has much to worry about this year. AMD has a lot of growth they can undergo before Intel starts feeling much in the way of pain. By 2018 Intel might start feeling some heat from more than just enthusiasts, depending on how Zen2 winds up vs CL, and 2019 isn't looking great for them. So long as AMD sells volume, they'll be able to plow those earnings into products down the road, and it looks like they have leadership that's dedicated to doing that, which is great.

Reactions: w3rd and Sweepr