AMD X2 or Intel D

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
I was thinking. If the prices don't go down for the X2's, or they do go down but so does Intel's keeping them the cheaper dual core. Would you still get a X2 or would you go for the cheaper D?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would get the X2 if I had to choose between the two. Judging by my usage habits, I'd be happier with a single-core Athlon 64.

The relatively low price of the Pentium D does little to assuage my fear of its power-hungry hanture.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Asked and answered. Please use the "Search" function.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Ha I'm waiting til Sept then I'm getting that newer cheaper X2 that is debuting Aug 1st and a 7800GT, overclock both and be a happy gamer :)

It's really a judgement call on who's processor you want though the X2 does murder the Pent D's in most every benchmarks

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
Ha I'm waiting til Sept then I'm getting that newer cheaper X2 that is debuting Aug 1st and a 7800GT, overclock both and be a happy gamer :)

It's really a judgement call on who's processor you want though the X2 does murder the Pent D's in most every benchmarks

why wait?

just get a single core chip if you're gonna be gaming mostly...

unless i find a need for dual core.. i'm stayin' single! :)

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
I'm looking into dual core becuase I do alot of video editing on my PC but I also want to game on it. After reding a few more reviews I think I'm going to stick with AMD like I have for the past five years.

Now I just need to get somthing that people call "Money"

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Shimmishim

why wait?

just get a single core chip if you're gonna be gaming mostly...

unless i find a need for dual core.. i'm stayin' single! :)

Nah I will need dual core, I understand single core=gaming. But with school I'd rather be able to multitask with ease especially when I'm working on my nursing homework and such as it is mostly online material when I'll have 25 tabs of firefox open with 5 or 6 pdfs while listening to and downloading music and talking to people online....heh and hey futureproof myself for when more things go multithreaded.

EDIT: Also when I'm at school I always seem to have more programs running in the background, especially security programs because my stupid university uses an unprotected campus wide wireless 11.G connection...I guess in the end it makes sense for me to have it even if it's slight overkill in the world of computers what is overkill one day is tomorrow's trash

TStep

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2003
At somepoint I'll probably try both once the pricing lowers a little. Still F'in with a Winchester when I get the spare time, but once I'm bored I'll be in search of fresh meat.

Edit: can't vote as there is no "both" option

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
The main problem with PentiumD is overclocking for me. The amount of heat it dumps into HS is around 250W when clocking to only 3.4, and that's all the guys are getting at xtreme off water or good air. After all that heat, exotic cooling, a 3.4 OC is still slower than a stock 4200+ since the 4200 beats the 3.2 840 real bad (see sig)

Second, why would anyone want 3 years old performance in single threaded apps? a 820 is about the same performance as a 2.6 nothwood in most all single threads since it only runs at 2.8 and 2.8 is slow for a prescott, slower than northwood.. OC and it get's better but again at a signifigant heat and power penalty and you're still slow compared to a stock 4200+.

And we hav'nt even talked about OCing the X2 yet. X2 runs about a 1.65 PD multiplier. Meaning you X2 Mhz x 1.65 = PD speed

2600Mhz on stock cooling seems rather trivial from forums posts I've seen. So 2600Mhz x 1.65 means you'd need about a 4200Mhz PD to be equal!!! Read Impossible without phase change.

Naw -- Even if it costed $100 I think I'd stay away from PD and get a "old" northwood instead and shoot for 3.7ish if I had to buy intel. X2's Competition is none.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Does anyone else think there might be an inherant bias on this website.....notice the poll it's 15-0 in favor of AMD...

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Does anyone else think there might be an inherant bias on this website.....notice the poll it's 15-0 in favor of AMD...

Reviewers show 15-0 too go read some X2 revs. I call us highly edumucated.;)

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Zebo

Reviewers show 15-0 too go read some X2 revs. I call us highly edumucated.;)

:D LMAO

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
Dont think the op needs a dually but ok, X2 is the answer.

btw: I wouldnt buy a X2 this year, maybe its worth to wait for the M2 in mid 2006. Lol, no i was kidding, nobody could wait another year but isnt it sad, that S939 will be dead in a year already. And thus X2s too :-/

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I forgot there's some other issues to be aware of with PDs they may throttle at stock speeds and will when OCed so you're really not even getting advertised speeds!

Second is mobo and ram costs which may negate any savings relised from buying an 820 over 4200+.. go price the differece. An anandtech "gold metal" mobo for X2 (EPOX 9NPA) is only $80!! Good, highly clockable DDR like OCZ/Corsair/Crucial valueram is only $75 a gig.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I forgot there's some other issues to be aware of with PDs they may throttle at stock speeds and will when OCed so you're really not even getting advertised speeds!

Quit spreading FUD again, Zebo.

There isn't any "issues" with throttling and the "D" series. This has been hashed and rehashed to death. Anyone with some degree of competence can keep the "D" series plenty cool enough to avoid the threshold where throttling would occur.

I voted for the X2 in this poll because, frankly, it is the superior processor. But there's no need to spread FUD like that in these forums.

Bona Fide

Banned
Jun 21, 2005
^Extremely true. In the end, the X2's high cost will be offset by the low cost of compatible motherboards and highly capable and inexpensive RAM.

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
No, i mean X2 is a very nice upgrade for a S939 rig, but it will be the final upgrade. Some higher clocked models might come out around xmas but thats it.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster

Quit spreading FUD again, Zebo.

There isn't any "issues" with throttling and the "D" series. This has been hashed and rehashed to death. Anyone with some degree of competence can keep the "D" series plenty cool enough to avoid the threshold where throttling would occur.

I voted for the X2 in this poll because, frankly, it is the superior processor. But there's no need to spread FUD like that in these forums.

It's not FUD. PD's throttle even at stock
Proof #1

Proof #2
Originally Posted by X-bit Labs
Pentium D processors do not allow monitoring the temperature of both cores, this feature is implemented only in dual-core server processors. So, to our great disappointment we cannot find out what actually happened with the second core. In our case, only the second core got overheated and went to thermal throttling, while the first core kept working normally.

WTF you saw the toms review where CPU load that looked like a heart monitor did'nt you?

Here I got the throttling archived

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
The AMD roadmap has X2 5000+ scheduled for Q2 2006 I think? So it should last you a while if you get a high end X2 now imo.

batmanuel

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
Why are we arguing about whether or not the Pentium D throttles? Can't someone who has one just install ThrottleWatch and run some torture tests?

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Another thing I have been thinking about is a dual CPU setup. I Mainly do Editing, DVD authoring, Digital image work, and a good amount of gaming in my spare time. So for Price/Power what do you guys think would be better, Dual core or dual CPU?

Also, can you have only one CPU in a dual CPU motherboard?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SketchMaster
Another thing I have been thinking about is a dual CPU setup. I Mainly do Editing, DVD authoring, Digital image work, and a good amount of gaming in my spare time. So for Price/Power what do you guys think would be better, Dual core or dual CPU?

Dual CPU like an opteron 2xx is slower than an same speed X2 AND costs twice as much with mobo. xeons? forgetaboutit very expensive and performance not scaling so well with price at all. Now that X2's/PD's are out, The only thing dual CPU setup are good for IMO is someone who needs that extra reassurance of 24/7 stability with is largy a myth anyway that comes from ECC ram and highend jap parts mobos.

yes. maybe get an opty 275 which is dual core and get another later? THAT would rock!1!