AMD x2 3800+ Max temps

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I have an AMD X-2 3800+ at stock speeds. Using PC Probe my temps are at around 29C idle without Cool&Quite on. Using Core Temp however, it says my temps are at 39C idle for CPU 0 and 29C for CPU 1. That's an average of 4-5C difference. Which program should I trust to monitor my CPU temps. Under load PC Probe says around 50C while running Orthos. What is the max temperature my chip can withstand. Many thanks.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Core Temp reads the actual on-die temp sensor of the CPU, not the socket temp, which is what all motherboard monitoring programs use.

For example, right now, EasyTune (Gigabyte's utility) says my CPU temp is 33C. CoreTemp says it's 51C. I go with CoreTemp every time.

3NF

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2005
CoreTemp usually reports 8-10 degrees higher than what ASUS Probe does for me. Everything I've read seems to suggest CoreTemp is more accurate, so I go by it.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
So if everyone goes by CoreTemp, would my CPU be running a bit too hot right now? Also, what is the max temps for my CPU? Running Core Temp right now and it says my temps are 41C for CPU 0 and 30 for CPU 1. This is with Cool&Quiet on.

P.S. does the link to my rig work?

Unkno

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2005
Guess I'll help you out then...idle temperatures are pretty much useless (unless they are insanely high). I'd be more worried about the difference in temperatures between your two cores, they should be around ~5C degrees of each other.

Test the temperature of your two cores while it is in load (try using two instances of prime95).

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I did a test last night for about 30min. The temperature for Core 1 was 55C while Core 2 was around 47C. This is from CoreTemp. In PC Probe however, it said my CPU temp was 47C. I'm using the stock cooler with an ambient temperature of 22C. One Case fan blowing air out. I don't have any fans blowing cool air into the case. The case is cheap. Got it for $50 CAN with the power supply. I was on a ultra tight budget.

I did this running Orthos with small FTTs.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
What is the max temperature an AMD X-2 3800+ can withstand? The ambient temp is around 21C.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Actually, I have read that the on-die sensor implemented by AMD was never fully developed and AMD's own specs say the accuracy of this sensor is +/- 15C. Since programs like Coretemp simply read this value, I question the accuracy. On my X2 3800+ I've seen temps between CPU0 and CPU1 vary as much as 8-10C. Granted, I know each core isn't the same, but I don't see enough differences for an 8-10C difference.

Give the latest version of Speedfan or RMclock a try and see what Core temp you are getting.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
1. FFS stop bumping

2. Your Tcase maximum can't be determined without knowing more about your CPU (SKU/code etc). Instead of bumping you could've checked on amd.com by now. Alternatively, use an app called A64MaxTemp to transcribe your CPU info into a Tcase maximum.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Well I'm sorry...I'm just a 15 year old so I don't know anything compared to you guys. I tried using A64MaxTemp that betasub was saying and I got random stuff. Saying my Tcase maxium was 49C and I was running a socket 939.

Here is a screenshot that I took from CPU-Z. Hope this can help determine the max temps for my CPU.

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpu18088uv.png]

I will also do some surfing on the AMD site.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
A64MaxTemp was written prior to the AM2 socket, but recognises AM2 processors as 939 because they are essentially the same core (with different memory controllers for DDR and DDR2).

From amd.com your X2 3800+ has the F2 stepping, but could be one of three different Thermal Design Powers (TDP): 35W, 65W or 89W.
AMD CPU comparison tool from amd.com

If you are running at default Vcore (shown as 1.250V by your CPU-z) then you have the 65W model with a 72'C (!) max temp. Nevertheless, you shouldn't hit >49'C unless you have problems with your cooing.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Ok. Mine is the 89W version so my max temp ranges from 55-70C. Now the problem, according to Core Temp my temperature difference between the two cores are more than 8C. Is this fine or what I have to re-seat the heatsink. I don't know how to do any of this. My computer was built by someone that works at Canada Computers. This does not pose a problem though right? I've been running my computer like this for over 3 months with no overheating problems. Also, I wrote this before and I got the answer stating that my idle tempratures are not important, but idling at around 34C (CoreTemp average) and 27C (PC Probe average) is this fine?

Now that I know my CPU has a max temp range from 55-70C there's just one question left besides the questions to the top. When they say 55-70C, they mean external CPU temperature or the die temperatures that CoreTemp reads.

Many thanks.

Unkno

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2005
Hmmm, I guess I'll respond since my last post on this thread was nearly a month ago...First you never really specified what kind of heatsink fan you've got, that makes a pretty big difference since good heatsinks would generally lower the temperature. I'm gonna assume that you have the stock heatsink. An 8C difference between the two cores isn't that major, it's certainly within the margin of error. Also, it is generally recommended to stay below the 65C limit for all CPUs.

The temperatures that you are reporting all seem fine to me, I as well have an X2 3800+ S939. The temps I'm getting are 29C idle and around 48C at load when running dual prime95 (temperature taken from the hottest core). Note that my cpu is overclocked to 2.55ghz at 1.40V. However, I am running an aftermarket heatsink (specifically the CNPS9500).

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a 3800+ @ 2.7GHz 1.52v cooled by a Thermalright XP-90 + Vantec 92mm Stealth fan & AS5

Everest shows my cpu temp to be 29-30C, and Core Temp .94 shows Core #0 & #1 to both fluctuate between 30-32C. :thumbsup:

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I'm running Orthos right now, running small FFTs. Core Temp shows 57C for Core #1 and 50C for Core #2. I assume this is fine since this is the stock heatsink and fan. But how about the idle temps. Would 40C on Core #1 be considered normal during idle? This is with C&Q on.

I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused for everyone, but these temps do seem a bit high. Also, I can't get aftermarket heatsinks or anything like that since well, my parents say it's too expensive. I can't even get another case fan...

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Using Nvidia Monitor tool.
Use Prime95 for load on both cores.
Readings as follows

cpu: 48c @ load
system: 35c (must be mobo)

Idle: cpu = 33c, system 34c

Spec:
AMD x2-3800+ @2.4ghz
HSF is a Zalman AC Pro