[AMD] Vega coming in 1H 2017

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
People, is this really a delay in vega or are we just finally getting a launch window? Wasn't october a rumor?

It was nothing but an unknown silly post at a forum that got hyped as gospel and made into clickbait stories to make money. Not to mention when fanboys ran with the ball due to the location of Vega on a roadmap. Its always been 2017 and now we know more precise that its around Q2.

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
Not so good news, since H1 is alway at the end of H1. Yes, it was always H1/2017, but at this time, I would expect them to have more precise schedule, and to confirm if it's Q1 or Q2. On a roadmap it was very close to the beginning of the year, I would say January :D On the same roadmap, Polaris was exactly at the middle of 2016, and it arrived just at that time. I mean, they can't be worried about Osborne effect or something, since no one is buying Fury after GTX 1070 & 1080 release.

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Reactions: Feld

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Something tells me amd is going for the low cost HBM implementation:
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/53536/low-cost-hbm-way-hit-mass-market-soon/index.html

Shame, as it is slower. The nice thing should be pricing. Some say HBM is a major factor in high-end GPU price, so any reduction here should have giant impact on the GPU price.

And since they need a lot of capacity, they will have overkill bandwidth anyway.

Low cost HBM development have barely begun. And it comes with a lot of penalties. Lower speed, removal of buffer chip, slave/master chip setup, ECC removal etc.

Anything AMD wish to sell for HPC as well will use the "real" HBM2. And for gamers, HBM is as useless as it can be.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Vega has to be roughly competitive with big Pascal for AMD to have a snowballs chance in hell here. I really hope they've targeted the right performance segment.

With a year long lead, NV will be much more able to compete on price and have a lot more room to prepare products to spoil AMD's launch, which they are almost certainly planning to do.

OTOH AMD can try to pull an Apple and launch like they're the only player in the market. Confidence attracts people and when a company acts like they got the best game in town, the low information crowd eats it right up...

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I want AMD to stick it to the man but they just don't have the operating budget Intel or Nvidia do. They may not even have the best minds any more as the most talented in the business then to gravitate over to "the best" as opposed to "the budget brand".

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
if polaris taught e anything, its that you never have to take the crown. Even if it doesn't beat big pascal, there is a massive space for it to fill with the right pricing. Its all about launching it with the right message and properly so people know they are better off buying vega vs whatever the competition in that price range is.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Perhaps the focus on Zen has required the marshalling of all resources to it first. Truthfully Zen as a cpu will sell a lot more units than Vega as a gpu.

Reactions: ShintaiDK

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
I would rather have AMD rocking below $300 segments and not show for the high end at all, than waste resources on a GPU with its only purpose will be to get people nv high-end GPU at lower prices.

Reactions: Final8ty

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
d3YwROH.png

Looks like they aren't quite committing to 1Q 2017, instead just saying 1H 2017. My guess is we'll see it in Q2 2017.
forgot to ask, where is the source of this claim? link please.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
So the question is if nvidia is able to roll out volta in 2017 as it sounds now, granted it will probably be very limited stock and need until 2018 to catch up, what does this mean for volta 11 limited window? :(

I want to see some price drops on nvidia's side so get to it amd!

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
I thought there were two Vega GPUs?? Wouldn't that mean they might launch Vega 11 in January then - wasn't quite a few AMD and ATI card launches done around December or January??

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I thought there were two Vega GPUs?? Wouldn't that mean they might launch Vega 11 in January then - wasn't quite a few AMD and ATI card launches done around December or January??

Vega 10 and Vega 11 are the two types and this appears to be the vega 11 that's being delayed again and people assume the vega 10 will be roughly the equivalent of gtx 1070 and closer to 1080 and are hoping for october / december launch but again this is just hope and dreams at this point as they haven't said anything yet about this version.

The problem is it used to be Q1 for the release and making it H1 now as others have said it means later near end of Q1 more then likely for vega 11.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So the question is if nvidia is able to roll out volta in 2017 as it sounds now, granted it will probably be very limited stock and need until 2018 to catch up, what does this mean for volta 11 limited window? :(

Volta isn't coming out next year, at least for consumers. 2017 is a refresh of Pascal at Samsung's 14FF.

Vega 10 and Vega 11 are the two types and this appears to be the vega 11 that's being delayed again and people assume the vega 10 will be roughly the equivalent of gtx 1070 and closer to 1080 and are hoping for october / december launch but again this is just hope and dreams at this point as they haven't said anything yet about this version.

I think they would have changed the wording if there was any hope of any Vega models coming out this year.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012

The problem is it used to be Q1 for the release and making it H1 now as others have said it means later near end of Q1 more then likely for vega 11.

I would assume Vega 11 is the smaller chip like Polaris 11 is the smaller chip.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I would assume Vega 11 is the smaller chip like Polaris 11 is the smaller chip.

That's an incorrect assumption. Vega 10 comes before 11, and according to RTG it is small Vega first.

Supposedly it is chronologically numbered/named, not according to performance.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Lol yeah AMD dude instagramed a pic of "Vega launch" site and these muppets think it's logical that earliest "Vega" is 6+ months time.

OP appears to have gone fud (reported). Since source supplied does not back up thread title; it's much too broad and more than likely wrong. Thread title should be changed to "enthusiast Vega" (or close) unless OP can back up claims covering high end and pro segment Vega also.

I might seem like a petty problem, but misinformation can spread. At the very least thread titles should be checked for logical coherency.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
Lol yeah AMD dude instagramed a pic of "Vega launch" site and these muppets think it's logical that earliest "Vega" is 6+ months time.

OP appears to have gone fud (reported). Since source supplied does not back up thread title; it's much too broad and more than likely wrong. Thread title should be changed to "enthusiast Vega" (or close) unless OP can back up claims covering high end and pro segment Vega also.

I might seem like a petty problem, but misinformation can spread. At the very least thread titles should be checked for logical coherency.
well, page 8 of the pdf clearly stated 1H 2017. OP is spot on actually.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
Volta isn't coming out next year, at least for consumers. 2017 is a refresh of Pascal at Samsung's 14FF.

I think they would have changed the wording if there was any hope of any Vega models coming out this year.
damn, so I was right about 3+ years on 1 node.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
well, page 8 of the pdf clearly stated 1H 2017. OP is spot on actually.

Yeah mate, you completely missed everything I've written.

Page 8 says "Vega for enthusiast market". Which has been my problem with OP and the thread title from the beginning. I've said it a couple of times in a couple of ways but you still missed it. So I'm sorry if I come across as I'm dealing with simpletons but I do hope you catch on sooner or later.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
AMD has from the start pretty much differentiated between Polaris 10 and 11. Which would launch when and performance targets. I'd assume them stating 'Vega' and not identify, say 'Vega 10' or 'Vega 11' implies both chips are set for H1 2017. Would have easy to state which Vega is aimed for 2017 if one of the two is actually slated for an earlier release.

Zen is starting to pick up steam. AMD is likely trying not to create the hype monster of previous launches only to fall flat on their face. Polaris refreshes might be place holders might have to carry the fight until then. It's going to be an ugly fight if you ask me. Not even sure why, but this kind of news is starting to appear more often in forums that have normally focused on gaming. I find that interesting.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
how do you know the vega on page 8 doesn't include all vega? until amd announces the release dates for the "non enthusiast vega", OP's statement still stands.

Reactions: ShintaiDK