AMD to show fusion tomorrow

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/06/01/amd-show-fusion-tomorrow/

According to Charlie AMD is ready to "show fusion tomorrow". I'm not sure if that means showing a working prototype or just the chip package itself or maybe just some in depth technical documents. It's pretty vague but if it ends up being actual working silicon then I would be really impressed that they are ready to show this off right now.

Looks like the rumors of a 2009 launch for the first fusion chips might be true.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
AMD should scotch-tape some blatantly obvious woodscrews to the IHS just for lulz.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
AMD should scotch-tape some blatantly obvious woodscrews to the IHS just for lulz.

I was thinking just that this morning. Hold up a kid's wooden block with "FUSION" written on it in crayon. "This puppy here is Fusion. Nah, just messin' with y'all."

Missed opportunity I tell you.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I hope we see Llano.

How the memory bandwidth plays out for the GPU will be interesting.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
Thanks for the heads up. I know they're still a couple of quarters away, but I really want to hear more about Sandy Bridge and Llano/Bulldozer. They all sound like they have so much potential, I just hope it pans out.

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/06/01/amd-show-fusion-tomorrow/

According to Charlie AMD is ready to "show fusion tomorrow". I'm not sure if that means showing a working prototype or just the chip package itself or maybe just some in depth technical documents. It's pretty vague but if it ends up being actual working silicon then I would be really impressed that they are ready to show this off right now.

Looks like the rumors of a 2009 launch for the first fusion chips might be true.

I might be wrong, but I thought select partners were already receiving samples, if that's true than they already have working silicon. I believe the road maps show Llano coming Q1 2010, but it may be early like Istanbul was last year. Oh, I'm assuming it was a typo, but it's already half a year too late for a 2009 launch. lol

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
AMD Press

SUNNYVALE, CA —5/27/2010 AMD (NYSE: AMD) will hold a live webcast from Computex 2010 in Taipei, Taiwan on June 1 at 10:00 p.m. ET (10:00 a.m. UTC in Taiwan on June 2). During the press conference AMD plans to preview PC technology that delivers cutting-edge processing and video power, and allows users to experience vivid web and video content, sharp photos and crystal-clear music.
The 90 minute press conference will also feature strategic partners, exciting videos and cutting-edge technology demonstrations, as well as top AMD executives, including:

• Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, Products Group, AMD
  • Leslie Sobon, corporate vice president, Product Marketing, AMD
  • Billy Wang, corporate vice president of greater China sales, AMD
To view the live webcast please visit: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/amd-computex-2010.
Also note a replay of the webcast can be also be accessed at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/amd-computex-2010.

10 PM Eastern, live stream

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
she's talking about stickers.

there is no such thing as a hardcore gamer.

wtf
sored>
9:36 i_am_not_gay: hes black
9:36 CaponeWP: uhh a black person?
9:37 GaMeRz4FuTuRe35: no
9:37 i_am_not_gay: amd is diverse
9:37 OCN_ThirdLap: It's just dark
9:37 OCN_GMX: black guyyyy
9:37 BLAHBLAH123456789: can this video stop laggin for

edit: amd claims to be getting serious about the notebook market. about damn time. 60% of the market now.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, that was mostly boring. I wonder what FPS they were getting with AVP, and if the internet streaming video would be able to show all of the FPS, or if the reason it looked slightly choppy was because of the streaming video, or if it was really choppy on-stage.

Still, not bad for an IGP. Anyone have any idea how fast it plays on a HD4200 IGP?

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Bah, that was a waste of an hour.

Only juicy material was they had were the 2 Fusion demo videos. A video (about 20 secs) of a "low" speed Fusion chip playing Alien vs. Predator. Another video was the Fusion chip using the GPU acceleration feature in Internet Explorer 9. An unknown CPU was doing 2-3fps, while the Fusion was putting out 50-60 fps.

Also, Rick Bergman displayed a wafer of Fusion dies, but he kept it close to himself during the photo shoot. He mentioned they are sampling both Llano and Ontario chips to customers behind closed doors.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Wow, that was mostly boring. I wonder what FPS they were getting with AVP, and if the internet streaming video would be able to show all of the FPS, or if the reason it looked slightly choppy was because of the streaming video, or if it was really choppy on-stage.

Still, not bad for an IGP. Anyone have any idea how fast it plays on a HD4200 IGP?

I think that was a DX11 demo. HD4200 only supports DX10.1. Integrated graphics are going to be really impressive next year.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Only juicy material was they had were the 2 Fusion demo videos. A video (about 20 secs) of a "low" speed Fusion chip playing Alien vs. Predator. Another video was the Fusion chip using the GPU acceleration feature in Internet Explorer 9. An unknown CPU was doing 2-3fps, while the Fusion was putting out 50-60 fps.

It might not be boring as you think. The amazing thing is the graphics demonstrated might be a Fusion Bobcat chip, aka "Ontario.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I think that was a DX11 demo. HD4200 only supports DX10.1. Integrated graphics are going to be really impressive next year.
AvP isn't DX11 exclusive. They could very well have been running it in DX9 mode (which would be slimy, but not unexpected).