AMD Switchable Graphics driver update?

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I'm going to be playing some CS:GO pretty soon, so I want to update my drivers for improved performance. Unfortunately, the OEM has not updated their drivers at all since I bought the laptop (2010), nor do the generic Catalyst Mobility drivers install. I've had success with a modded driver in the past, and while unstable, finding the latest one is probably my best bet (if I can find it, hence this thread).

Relevant Laptop specs:
HP DV7-4285DX
Intel Core i5-460M (Arrandale)
Radeon 5470M (1st gen Switchable Graphics)

In short: Point me to the elusive modded driver (can't seem to find it now :rolleyes:), or point me to a better solution that doesn't involve a new PC (highly unlikely).

Edit: Yet another case of finding what I'm looking for after I post a thread. :oops:

To anyone else facing a similar issue, this could be what you're looking for. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=372799

Suppose I'll post results later in the thread that otherwise accomplished absolutely nothing,

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm not sure, but I would try doing a clean uninstall of the current 2010 drivers (use DDU to be sure) and then see if Windows Update has a newer driver.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I'm not sure, but I would try doing a clean uninstall of the current 2010 drivers (use DDU to be sure) and then see if Windows Update has a newer driver.
I've run into the same thing in the past, so I've tried everything then. When I put in my SSD, I didn't think I'd be gaming again for some time, so I just installed the OEM drivers and kind of fell out of the loop. The reason for this thread was to find where I can find newer modded drivers (as the mobility drivers on AMD's website do not work on 1st gen Switchable Graphics), or perhaps, other users similar to myself have found different solutions (especially since Win 8).

I think I may have found what I'm looking for though.

Edit: Can't believe I missed this one. http://leshcatlabs.net/unifl-unified-leshcat-drivers/
Looking through it, the documentation is extensive, plus my last modded driver was from this developer.

Edit #2: Just installed the driver, unlocked AMD Overdrive, and got to tweaking. Performance in CS:Go is pretty decent, 1280 x 720 with 2x MSAA, and mid-high settings. Overall, I'm pleased. Also, the instability seems to occur with a low idle gpu clock speed, keeping it elevated seems to eliminate crashing.

Last edited:

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Please disregard anything about joy in my former post. It would seem that aside from gaming, I get black screens galore. (not crashes, but the display remains off). Basically, anything regarding sleep mode, or actual graphics switching results in a black screen. After looking for a fix for several hours, I've given up and went back to the dusty pile HP provides (a driver from 2010), basically writing off even light gaming potential in the process.

Now very pissed at this waste of a day, and thread, I would like to deliver a very big middle finger to HP.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
AMD's switchable graphic solution received far less than favorable reviews across the board from what I remember. It's why I went Nvidia for mobile. Don't think I've seen a compelling reason to go AMD for mobile in awhile.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
can't u just disable the igpu and run on the radeon all the time using newest drivers?

You would loose switchable graphics and hence battery life when not gaming. Up to you if that is worth it.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have a laptop with a switchable 6550 from the same time period, and can use the modern AMD Mobility drivers by disabling the Intel graphics in the BIOS, updating the drivers, and then turning it back on. I actually like this better than the Nvidia Optimus solution, since the Intel GPU has better compatibility with old games than the AMD card and I can switch to it manually as needed.