AMD stock up

Peter D

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2002
hurrah, for AMD! :)

on a side note, dont disturb touchmyichi, check out his post count number :p ;)

Wigwam

Dec 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Vegetto

i dont get it?:confused:
what is so special about 671? [unless, i take it it was 666 when he posted?]

Peter D

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Wigwam
Originally posted by: Vegetto

i dont get it?:confused:
what is so special about 671? [unless, i take it it was 666 when he posted?]

ja ;)

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
it is just FREAKY to realize that Intel makes more $ in 1 quarter than AMD has made in its entire 30 year history combined!

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I read that analyst's comment over the weekend but I was surprised at how strong a move AMD made on Monday.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Read this.
It is sort of interesting to read all those old promises and fantasies. And this was about Athlon that was, without a doubt, the best chip AMD ever had. Makes you think what is the talk this time about.
AMD functions like a lottery - it is always a possibility there somewhere. Are they ever gona win?

Time to buy AMD and short sell Intel
I don't think so. Precisely a year ago (look at historical trends) AMD closed above $10.00, it is less than that now. On the other hand Intel was less than $20, and now it is over $25. Besides all microelectronics are risky investment, even Intel.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Intel vs AMD
I think hell would freeze over before I would put money on AMD stock (pulled out from Intel as well because I have no nerves for microelectronics stocks).

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I dunno I think you can make a few bucks with AMD right now. With the desktop 64bit due out very soon and Intel having nothing to counter with atm we should see AMD stocks go up. I didn't say they would stay there mind you.

Edit: Also remember when the Athlon hit the market at them time they had NO support. Motherboard manufactures, chipset makers and vendors were about as willing to support AMD as a cold day in hell. This time around AMD has a few chipset makers, plenty of board manufactures and a proven technology that is already working in the form of Opteron. They also have vendors who are willing to incorporate their CPUs into desktops for the mass market, game companies putting out 64bit versions of their software and maybe even more important is Microsoft?s future support of a 64bit OS.

If AMD doesn't show up with enough production which they should since they've been sitting on this for so long then all bets are off ;)

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Well, everything is possible. You can make money with a stock of any dead end company, but that is called day trading. And most day traders loose money though each one of them believe in some type of "success formula." For an ordinary Joe this type of stock is a high risk, and historically, a loser. I had some electronics stocks back in 97-98, in a high tide for those and that was a heck of a rolacoaster for my taste. AMD would be in my "never in a million years" book. Actually I would bet on them to go bankrupt in 12 months, for a small amount though. :D

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Intel's stock went up also. :)

I don't know if anybody has noticed, but most of the time they rise and fall similarly.

OddTSi

Feb 14, 2003
Originally posted by: paperfist
With the desktop 64bit due out very soon and Intel having nothing to counter with atm we should see AMD stocks go up.

I guess Prescott is small potatoes.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
It's funny how daily prices of stocks can be completely unrelated to what the company is doing. If say a mutual fund who owns 5% of a company's stock sells it all to buy something else, you can bet that'll drive the price down... if other people see a mutual fund selling all their stock in a company, they'll sell too, so there will be a surplus of stock for sale, which drives the price down. If they gain steadily for a month, then I'd say the stock is up.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
It's funny how daily prices of stocks can be completely unrelated to what the company is doing. If say a mutual fund who owns 5% of a company's stock sells it all to buy something else, you can bet that'll drive the price down... if other people see a mutual fund selling all their stock in a company, they'll sell too, so there will be a surplus of stock for sale, which drives the price down. If they gain steadily for a month, then I'd say the stock is up.
No kidding... It seems that every time Intel has some positive news about earnings, the stock goes down.

I quit paying attention a long time ago. :)

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Originally posted by: OddTSi
Originally posted by: paperfist
With the desktop 64bit due out very soon and Intel having nothing to counter with atm we should see AMD stocks go up.

I guess Prescott is small potatoes.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Prescott not due till Q1 of '04?

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Prescott not due till Q1 of '04?
Prescott should appear in Q4 of this year. Precisely Intel has a price cut on Oct 24 or 26 (don't remember). The best guess is that will coincide with the release of Prescott 3.4 GHz.
It also depends what AMD is going to release on Sept 23 and if that release will be able to compete with HT 3.2 GHz.

philmore47

Aug 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Jadow
it is just FREAKY to realize that Intel makes more $ in 1 quarter than AMD has made in its entire 30 year history combined!

Do you have stats to show for this? I can't believe that they have such a large difference in revanue.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Do you have stats to show for this? I can't believe that they have such a large difference in revanue

AMD has now, on book, losses in Q3, Q4 of 2001, every quarter of 2002, Q1, Q2 of 2003. 8 consecutive quarters of losses. The comparison similar to the one he used (though the word is about profit not revenue) has been published in an article that appeared recently,

Here

Excerpt:
This translates to an annual average net income of $5.65 million. Put another way, the $186.4 million in net income AMD amassed in 33 years is accomplished about every 2.5 weeks at Intel.

Basically it is actually amazing that AMD even exists because as a business model these 33 years is anything but.
On the other hand, as we know, they are capable of making great chips. In either case their future does not look bright for in the last 16 years they had 8 years in red, and most importantly the last two years with 2003 coming the same way likely. That smells bankrupcy to me.
Buying AMD stock would be a serious gamble because in case of bankrupcy you'll get nothing unless they would reemerge. But who would bail out such a large company? IBM? I doubt for they have problems of their own.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
I just noticed that newegg is selling refurbished Opteron 242 for a whole week already, they dropped price like three times already and nobody is buying yet. $310 as compared to $450 regular price.
It tells me that Opteron sales are not as big of a success as AMD would like us to believe.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Not many network administrators shop on Newegg.com. Just because Newegg isn't selling Opterons doesn't mean they're not being sold. I know they're being used cause I know a few people in the networking business that use Opterons for servers if the network is over a certain size that they have determined will benefit from the Opteron.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: stevejst
Looks like one of those network administrators decided to spend $310. :D

More like $3100... just one of them has at least 10 Opteron based servers.