AMD Split Rumors Accelerating

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
I find this part stupid, if it is true he apparantly has his hands in way too many places. Not to mention he needs to get out of there and not be a part of the company at all.

and AMD?s marketing team is now working on a way to preserve Ruiz? legacy in AMD?s history books to avoid the perception that the executive caused the company?s current critical state.

nbowman

Jun 7, 2007
Originally posted by: mooseracing
I find this part stupid, if it is true he apparantly has his hands in way too many places. Not to mention he needs to get out of there and not be a part of the company at all.

and AMD?s marketing team is now working on a way to preserve Ruiz? legacy in AMD?s history books to avoid the perception that the executive caused the company?s current critical state.

which is exactly what they should be doing on the company dime, after all covering Hector's ass is whats best for the company and shareholders, right?! :disgust:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: nbowman

which is exactly what they should be doing on the company dime, after all covering Hector's ass is whats best for the company and shareholders, right?! :disgust:

Executive management and board members have about as much interest in the best interest of the shareholders as your elected politician gives two rat's ass's about you.

That is why they have to give these fine folks millions of free stock options in order to slightly bias their "business" decisions in such a way as to at least stand a chance at some point in benefiting the shareholder.

(disclosure: I am not a shareholder of any tech company)

You can't be a shareholder and expect to be treated any better than a rented car, or a whore for that matter, you will be abused and taken advantage at every chance the rentee can do so.

For Hector, he just turned out to be the master pimp in the whole AMD deal. Treated no better than his last bitch (moto).

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
"...elected politician gives two rat's ass's about you."

That's two rats' asses. Got to get our rat ass grammar right around here, thank you very much.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare
For Hector, he just turned out to be the master pimp in the whole AMD deal. Treated no better than his last bitch (moto).

maybe he fucked amd over because they didn't do a $10 million redecoration of his office like motorola did.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: magreen
"...elected politician gives two rat's ass's about you."

That's two rats' asses. Got to get our rat ass grammar right around here, thank you very much.

You sir are both a scholar and a gentlemen!

:thumbsup:

(as luck would have it I actually stopped to ponder whether it was "asses" or "ass's" when I wrote that post...it beats spending more time with the kids :) (kidding))

Originally posted by: dmens

maybe he fucked amd over because they didn't do a $10 million redecoration of his office like motorola did.

Hey now, don't be haten on Hector's mad pimp'n skillz.

Every pimp knows you slap the bitch every now and then whether she deserved it or not (and the second rule is she always deserved it).

What sucks is that there are great people working at AMD who have been putting in those 16hr days trying to do everything they can to stop the bleeding and keep the ship from sinking, meanwhile the captain keeps steering the ship in random directions with nary a care for such things as mythical icebergs (cap'n says Intel's Prescot induced global warming took care of them).

Those dedicated employees who actually do care for AMD are left holding the bag and their only sweet release from such a life comes with drawing the short-straw in a round of layoffs...and that really sucks.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Wow, I thought I was the only one around here who thought that Hector Ruin should first be beheaded, then tried for treason.:Q

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: taltamir
this IS a rumor article... its not necessarily true.

LOL ---- if you know anything about this, youll laugh with me.

It's Theo, when has he evar been wrong?

(your sarcasm meter should be going to 11 right now)

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006

being a shareholder myself since before the the 754/939 socket hayday I would like to behead that bastard.

teatime0315

Nov 18, 2005

being a shareholder myself since before the the 754/939 socket hayday I would like to behead that bastard.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Soulkeeper
they should outsource ruiz to mexico :)

From AMD's perspective the best place for Hector has got to be at Intel in position of CEO.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
OK . I did bad mouth hector. But i think i was wrong. Hector didn't know C2D was going to change the fortune of his company. He did know what Intel was planning for future graphics . just not what form it would take . Intels decision and direction surprized me .

So buying ATI was not so stupid . Now that ATI is leading in performance with a cheaper gpu than the comp. Its looking better for AMD/ATI.

Right now as I see it Hector made 2 mistakes .

1) Waiting for Intel to catch and blow by.

2) Letting Dave Orton go .

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
OK . I did bad mouth hector. But i think i was wrong. Hector didn't know C2D was going to change the fortune of his company. He did know what Intel was planning for future graphics . just not what form it would take . Intels decision and direction surprized me .

So buying ATI was not so stupid . Now that ATI is leading in performance with a cheaper gpu than the comp. Its looking better for AMD/ATI.

Right now as I see it Hector made 2 mistakes .

1) Waiting for Intel to catch and blow by.

2) Letting Dave Orton go .

It's not acceptable to be blind to the ongoings inside your competitor's development team.

If Hector was clueless about C2D then he has no one to blame but himself for not being more aggressive in acquiring the information. (I'm not saying illegal means of acquiring info, TheInq and Fudzilla do not acquire info illegally, for example)

You can bet Intel is not operating in a total vacuum as to what AMD and Nvidia intends to roll out in 2010.

For example there was a poster here at AT about 3 months ago that posted on Bulldozer and then suddenly disappeared, likely got a little scared that they posted some info they shouldn't have.

This kind of info is always available, people willing to talk for no reason other than pride in their project or needing their ego assuaged. Hiring ex-employees after a round of layoffs is another good way to accumulate a working picture on the competitions strategy and line of thinking.

Hector had to know of C2D...why the response to it was nothing more aggressive than K10 is the question.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
Originally posted by: piesquared
And Tortellini had to know about ATI's IGP's as well no? So how did he respond? G43 and G45? Looks like Tortellini should hit the bricks also.

http://www.tomshardware.com/re...on-Efficient,1997.html

Agreed.

Thanks for the link - that's a really interesting article. Can we conclude from this that an multiple-year-old underclocked Athlon would also beat a Via Nano in power consumption and performance?

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Originally posted by: CTho9305
And Tortellini had to know about ATI's IGP's as well no? So how did he respond? G43 and G45? Looks like Tortellini should hit the bricks also.

Agreed.

Thanks for the link - that's a really interesting article. Can we conclude from this that an multiple-year-old underclocked Athlon would also beat a Via Nano in power consumption and performance?

Well i'm not sure. But there are a number of Nano vs. Atom articles to draw a conclusion from. But for sure we can conclude that AMD is leveraging it's graphics group products to propel it's platform forward. I recall them mentioning something about that, so the writing has definitely been on the wall.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Agreed.

It would appear so. SOI definitely brings value to the table when power consumption is a key metric of success.

What impresses me is not so much the performance (the xtor budget and mm^2 budget are crazy expensive for this computing class) but that the chip's overall power consumption is driven to such low levels despite the crazy number of xtors being turned on to enable the performance.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005

Agreed.

It would appear so. SOI definitely brings value to the table when power consumption is a key metric of success.

What impresses me is not so much the performance (the xtor budget and mm^2 budget are crazy expensive for this computing class) but that the chip's overall power consumption is driven to such low levels despite the crazy number of xtors being turned on to enable the performance.

Any CPU can be brought down to that kind of power level if you reduce the frequency and the voltage to extreme levels. You could get a Prescott to consume 8W if you clocked it at the right frequency. When an architecture is designed to run at 2-3GHz with (relatively) high voltages and consuming 30-40W, it is not hard to run a chip at 1GHz with extremely low voltage and consume 8W. On the CPU side at least, I doubt Intel would have any trouble getting a single-core Core 2 Celeron to run at 1GHz and consume 8W.

Heck look at what Anand was able to do. You can get a quad-core Yorkfield to consume 13W at 1.2GHz with the right voltage: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch...howdoc.aspx?i=3184&p=3

I don't think that the A64 2000+ is very impressive, the 780G chipset is very impressive. When Intel moves to Moorestown SoC with everything built at 45nm, power consumption will be much more impressive. For right now the 2000+ and 780G is a better solution than Atom for the desktop space, but whether it makes sense will depend on the price. You can get an Atom mobo + embedded CPU for $70-80..... A 780G alone costs around $70. AMD is going to have trouble pricing a 77mm^2 chip plus a fully featured motherboard at the same levels as a tiny mobo + a 25mm^2 chip.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Extelleron

Agreed.

Any CPU can be brought down to that kind of power level if you reduce the frequency and the voltage to extreme levels. You could get a Prescott to consume 8W if you clocked it at the right frequency. When an architecture is designed to run at 2-3GHz with (relatively) high voltages and consuming 30-40W, it is not hard to run a chip at 1GHz with extremely low voltage and consume 8W. On the CPU side at least, I doubt Intel would have any trouble getting a single-core Core 2 Celeron to run at 1GHz and consume 8W.

Heck look at what Anand was able to do. You can get a quad-core Yorkfield to consume 13W at 1.2GHz with the right voltage: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch...howdoc.aspx?i=3184&p=3

I don't think that the A64 2000+ is very impressive, the 780G chipset is very impressive. When Intel moves to Moorestown SoC with everything built at 45nm, power consumption will be much more impressive. For right now the 2000+ and 780G is a better solution than Atom for the desktop space, but whether it makes sense will depend on the price. You can get an Atom mobo + embedded CPU for $70-80..... A 780G alone costs around $70. AMD is going to have trouble pricing a 77mm^2 chip plus a fully featured motherboard at the same levels as a tiny mobo + a 25mm^2 chip.

No question about it at all http://i272.photobucket.com/al...ableVcoreversusGHz.jpg

But for some reason they won't sell them like that. I'd love to replace my 6yr-old laptop with its 800MHz P3 for a modern 45nm dual-core operating at 800MHz. Try to find a modern laptop or notebook with a 1GHz or sub-GHz processor (still plenty of power for everything you do on a laptop but gaming) and you just can't.

AleleVanuatu

Aug 16, 2008
Hector is getting way too much flack for what is simply an outgrowth of what happens when you pay too much for too little. ATI is definitely on the ball, but has cost AMD an arm and a leg. We all know what happens when you start to run out of money, you scale back. And right now AMD is scaling back on marketing, not so much R&D (see their elite israeli CPU dev division -- top secret) but Intel is enjoying the crown for now. Maybe for another year or two, but hey, thats life.

Asset Smart will simply be a paper split. This will help them for financing, and then, you can forget about anyone buying out AMD, they will be back there competing.

AND PLEASE REALIZE, AMD's core business has never been x86. Historically. Look into it!