AMD sent Techreport an Intel system to test their GPU's

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Whats wrong with that? AMD CPU's suck for gaming, IPC is king in most games and intel currently has much better IPC.

this, Intel > AMD in games and atleast AMD is willing to admit that and give their GPUs an optimal testbed rather than force their so-so cpus down the reviewers' throats.

it's a little sad that it has come to this, but it's the logical choice and wont affect the sales of their CPUs but hopefully their GPUs.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
Whats wrong with that? AMD CPU's suck for gaming, IPC is king in most games and intel currently has much better IPC.

It's a mid-range GPU, not likely to be choked at all by PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth, and the setup is pretty common too, there is no reason to use the 3770k instead of the 8350.

Maybe what they really wanted was to underline how low the power consumption is, and it is far easier to notice that on an Intel platform than on AMD platforms, where both the processor and the chipset would be power hogs.

In any case, AMD Seamicro division sells servers with Intel Inside as their flagship product. To review a GPU on an Intel system isn't anything out of proportion compared to that.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
it's about showing what the GPU can do, and the fastest possible CPU is not going to do any harm... AMD simply doesn't have anything as fast as that 3770k for gaming,

also interesting to see them using "ATI" logos on the coolers

testbed.jpg

also I suppose lower end GCN cards are more interesting to be paired with Intel CPUs anyway, since AMD would rather sell APUs as low cost systems.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Why would AMD need to send any cpu to anyone? Why cant they just send a card?

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
It's funny that they bothered to use the stupid AMD-branded memory.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Given that AMD provided them with a PCIe adapter card, they can use any testbed that they want. This is a big step forward in laptop graphics reviews, and long needed.

Aug 11, 2008
I dont see much issue at all. The only CPUs amd sells in laptops are APUs. So most discrete cards from either AMD or nVidia will be paired with an intel cpu in a laptop. (I know there is that MSI, that has an A10 with a 7970m, but that is an anomaly.)

The only think I might have wanted to see different is to test with a mobile CPU instead of a desktop one to make the situation more analogous to a true laptop.

If they had tested a desktop card with an i7 instead of an Fx, then it would have looked bad.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
it's about showing what the GPU can do, and the fastest possible CPU is not going to do any harm... AMD simply doesn't have anything as fast as that 3770k for gaming,

also I suppose lower end GCN cards are more interesting to be paired with Intel CPUs anyway, since AMD would rather sell APUs as low cost systems.

Except these are mobile parts using non-mobile desktop CPU's and cooling solutions.

It's no wonder I stopped taking TR seriously many years ago.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
http://techreport.com/review/24086/a-first-look-at-amd-radeon-hd-8790m

Really AMD? Just outsource the rest of your marketing team, please.

It is ironic, to be sure :D

But it is also practical given that they know Nvidia would have no qualms with sending out an Intel-based benching platform to generate the best possible numbers as well.

If anything it is an admission of what we all already know, and it is refreshing to see that AMD is willing to drop the facade as well and do what is best to showcase their GPU product as it were.

I'd rather they did what they did versus persisting under an aura of delusions of grandeur.

It is a smart decision, if not somewhat humiliating.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

testbed.jpg

Its possible that AMD could be going back to the ATi branding for future cards. Better for marketing.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Or that's what spare coolers AMD happened to have kicking around their lab.

it certainly looks like some old coolers, but it shouldn't be hard to place a new AMD sticker on it, since they shipped this to the "press", I think it would be appropriate to be more careful,

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
What AMD's 1090FX chipset / platform with native USB 3.0 and PCI-E 3.0 still isn't ready?

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
If anything it is an admission of what we all already know, and it is refreshing to see that AMD is willing to drop the facade as well and do what is best to showcase their GPU product as it were.

While AMD seems committed to reclaim part of the mobile market share they lost to NVDA this year, and this is important for the future of their GPU business, AMD bread and butter is still CPUs, and if we are to talk about their big core line, desktops CPUs.

That said, I can think of a lot of reasons to send an Intel system to test their GPU, but nothing that could justify more damage to their CPU brand. If not even AMD GPU teams think that AMD CPUs are a worthy platforms for gaming, who should? And how they expect to market their APUs as "good enough" CPU power when AMD GPU teams are explicitly saying that their GPU will fare a lot better coupled with Intel processors?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
While AMD seems committed to reclaim part of the mobile market share they lost to NVDA this year, and this is important for the future of their GPU business, AMD bread and butter is still CPUs, and if we are to talk about their big core line, desktops CPUs.

That said, I can think of a lot of reasons to send an Intel system to test their GPU, but nothing that could justify more damage to their CPU brand. If not even AMD GPU teams think that AMD CPUs are a worthy platforms for gaming, who should? And how they expect to market their APUs as "good enough" CPU power when AMD GPU teams are explicitly saying that their GPU will fare a lot better coupled with Intel processors?

I can't disagree with anything you wrote, all great points.

It has to make internal politics all the more acrimonious too. "CPU team throws e-daggers @ GPU team" :sneaky:

Aug 11, 2008

Well it seems kind of like a bonehead thing to do to use an Intel CPU. But like I said, almost all discrete AMD mobile cards will be used with Intel CPUs anyway. And since I believe it was midrange graphics cards they were testing, I am sure an FX would have been more than adequate. I tend to think it was just a matter of convenience of putting the platform together rather than that an AMD CPU would have been limiting.