AMD Ryzen (Summit Ridge) Benchmarks Thread (use new thread)

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Why not? You can't just expect multipliers to do all the work for you, all the time. bclk OC gives the overclocker lots of flexibility, and it lets them go past the listed memory ratios on the motherboard.

s754, s939, AM2, AM2+, AM3, and AM3+ all had flexible and stable bclk/htt OC. It was beautiful. You could overclock anything from a lowly Sempr0n to a big-boy FX on pretty much any motherboard that could handle it. You just had to feel out the mobo's bclk limits.
I had a board that did 425 HTT at the time. (ASUS A8N32-SLI) It was undoubtedly a fun time.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Highest I ever got was 390 htt on my 790FX-GD70. The BIOS had options for speeds up to 600 . . . pfft.

Reactions: lopri

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Huh. How recently did you get that?

@2 months ago. I also have an older Supremacy EVO cpu block and the included AMD bracket has the narrow holes in the far corners which will not align with the AMD4 mounts. If you jump on the EK website they show the new plate. I guess I got lucky. You could use the old plate and machine out the holes to fit the new alignment.
Here's a link to EK's announcement about the new plate:
https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-confirms-amd-socket-am4-compatibility/

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Interesting. I have had less luck convincing Noctua to ship an AM4 mount kit for their heatsinks prior to the Ryzen launch (A320 boards have been available for months, but apparently Noctua is not fased by this fact). Mildly annoying, but hardly crippling.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Interesting. I have had less luck convincing Noctua to ship an AM4 mount kit for their heatsinks prior to the Ryzen launch (A320 boards have been available for months, but apparently Noctua is not fased by this fact). Mildly annoying, but hardly crippling.

I checked Newegg and I don't see any AM4 on there. Or are you talking about the HP Bristol Ridge desktops?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
(Fastest?) 8C/16T might not be cheap - he expects 3999-4999 RMB ($580-720)
So he expects better 8c/16t Zen bins to be priced against better bins of 6c/12t BDW-E. Now all we need is a leak about the $400-440 price for lower bins of Zen 8c/16t :)

Reactions: Drazick

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Chiphell also mentioned the production CPUs are well stocked ahead of launch, but the delays are due to fixing the faults on the mobo BIOSes.

But 4C chips in April, ouch. That's looooong wait.

Last edited:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
You mean July?

It's a bit of a wait, but AMD aren't big enough right now to do too much at once and do them all well.

It's no biggie but that means my friend and my 32GB DDR4-3200 has to sit unopened in a box at least until April. We bought them ahead of time since I expected demand exploding during Zen's launch and manufacturers cutting supply in 2017.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
You mean July?

It's a bit of a wait, but AMD aren't big enough right now to do too much at once and do them all well.

I think it is a business strategy and has more to do with a premium they are going to ask for 6 and 8 core Zen. Releasing 4c/8t along side would steer all but professionals from the expensive 8c/16t part. The difference in gaming performance between 4c/8t and 8c/16t will be minor and totally not worth it.

By releasing only high-end 8c/16t parts initially, amd hopes to grab a small portion of gaming market without throwing profits out of the window.

After the release of 4c/8t Zen, they will slash the prices of high-end parts so that some portion of gaming market may find it worth going with 6 or 8 core CPU.

lixlax

Nov 6, 2014
But does that mean 6-cores are going to be launched at the same time or very close to the 8-cores? If Zen turns out to be competitive then hexa cores are most likely going to be the sweet spot.

Reactions: ButtMagician

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's no biggie but that means my friend and my 32GB DDR4-3200 has to sit unopened in a box at least until April. We bought them ahead of time since I expected demand exploding during Zen's launch and manufacturers cutting supply in 2017.

you keep your friend in a box? D:

Reactions: Elfear

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think it is a business strategy and has more to do with a premium they are going to ask for 6 and 8 core Zen. Releasing 4c/8t along side would steer all but professionals from the expensive 8c/16t part. The difference in gaming performance between 4c/8t and 8c/16t will be minor and totally not worth it.

By releasing only high-end 8c/16t parts initially, amd hopes to grab a small portion of gaming market without throwing profits out of the window.

After the release of 4c/8t Zen, they will slash the prices of high-end parts so that some portion of gaming market may find it worth going with 6 or 8 core CPU.

I think one of AMD's primary goals is to "disrupt" (meaning: mildly) the mainstream CPU design. Multiple SKUs will be available on release day, which should mean 6c/12t Zen. AMD wants >4c to be mainstream, so I expect a "very good" supply of 6c/12t Zen priced very competitively with Intel's flagship 7700K; and Intel really isn't in a position to lower prices as a response.

I imagine that a possible 3.6-3.8ghz base 6c/12t Zen, priced between $50 less-to-even with 7700k to be a huge win for AMD (though I pretty much doubt they are going to match the price...OK, unless this thing is a legit better or equal performer--the extra core count could demand a more premium cost. But asking a premium price is likely not possible where AMD is now with their rep. Hopefully, savvy consumers take advantage of AMD's current inability to sell expensive parts this year and capitalize on a limited opportunity to score a nice perf/$$ win :D)

Reactions: lopri

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Why not buy the 8c 16t cpu? I have had a quad for the last 10 years.
Yeah, the whole sales plan will pretty much have to be that quad cores are not enough and you need an 8c/16t cpu today.

That pretty much prevents sales of 4c/8t RyZen chips for a while, I think. You can't tell me they are not good enough and sell me one at the same time.

If the 4c/8t RyZen chips are faster than the 4c/8t i7 chips, then that would logically be the comparison and competition for them. This sales campaign should be interesting.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
I read rumors that 4c will be delayed. This does not mean that there will be no choice. Probabily there will be 2-3 SKU at different frequencies. Maybe even some chip under 3.4. But all 8c/16t.

I don't think that 3.4+GHz means that all models will be of at least 3.4GHz base. I think that this means that the TOP model has >=3.4GHz base... Maybe there will be 3 model: 3.2, 3.4 and 3.6 base...

Status
Not open for further replies.