AMD Ryzen (Summit Ridge) Benchmarks Thread (use new thread)

Page 113 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
I think its great that Rizen performs well.

But I'm guessing they are gonna make money in the OEM bracket ?
I would think those individual customers that wanted 6 or 8 cores have had 6/8 cores for quite a while now. If performance is about equal between the 6/8 core Intel/AMD cpu's, what is the reason to switch to a Risen chip now?
I mean besides the holdout people in the " will only buy AMD" crowd?

I watched the video, I didnt see anything specific that stood out and said to me WOW that's new and much better than what I could have purchased for the past 2 years. Better IPC? no, higher clocks? no.

but overall , a good showing.

Better price/perf. ratio? Better bundles for gamers(Ryzen+Vega)? There are many reasons to think of, not just pure performance. But it helps immensely that they finally have a high IPC x86 core (with SMT capability) that can also clock high.

Reactions: Doom2pro

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
No, peeps, I have not watched AMD's Zen presentation. I will just wait for the reviews to see where this ship strands, instead of being fed this marketing. I have watched the slides, though, and it wasn't there. One slide about the efficiency said something like "for entertainment purposes only".

Technically, 40.1% also exceeds 40%, mathematically speaking.

But thanks for your clarification.

I sympathize with you, that having that image profile, should be a torture to see a video in which Ryzen crushes the 6900K, on par in blender and +10% faster in handbrake (spoiler alert), and not even at final clocks, but this is the reality now.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
so, trolling basically.

k.

What part of "AMD has made their data immediately available" don't you understand? This wasn't a slide presentation, these were demos with detailed hardware specs and numbers. Not everything revealed obviously, but this was nothing like the marketing slides that you want to think they are.

You know, you could also read Ian's article on the front page about this, where this information is also detailed for you, if that is a trusted source more to your liking. This is based on the earlier demo and presentation given to reviewers ahead of this press event.

Again, I said this is new territory compared to what I and obviously YOU have come to expect from these events--especially with AMD--this is solid data. You do yourself a disservice by wearing your troll hat on your face with these content-less posts.

Of course we all wait for actual benchmarks, but you should know it wasn't smoke and mirrors. Go watch the recorded stream.

They had live systems on a desk, not a powerpoint slide stating certain numbers, or a video of AOTS like in the Polaris reveal claiming stuff vs a 1080.

Different kind of show. Marketing, yeah, yet showing something tangible.

Okay, nice for AMD. Basically they have finally, after a 5 year delay, done what any company should do: make competitive products that are better than your previous ones, not worse (like BD was).

Great. This still not-leading edge CPU will drive down the SKL-X and KBL-X prices so people can buy Intel for cheaper. Good for both AMD and Intel fans.

F-Rex

Aug 11, 2016
I think its great that Rizen performs well.

But I'm guessing they are gonna make money in the OEM bracket ?
I would think those individual customers that wanted 6 or 8 cores have had 6/8 cores for quite a while now. If performance is about equal between the 6/8 core Intel/AMD cpu's, what is the reason to switch to a Risen chip now?
I mean besides the holdout people in the " will only buy AMD" crowd?

I watched the video, I didnt see anything specific that stood out and said to me WOW that's new and much better than what I could have purchased for the past 2 years. Better IPC? no, higher clocks? no.

but overall , a good showing.
Lower tdp ?yes
Lower Price? Yes
Let's the market decide if competition is good enough or not.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Wow, "at least" 3.4Ghz on an 8 core CPU! Even if they stick to 3.4, it does tend to suggest it has room for some overclocking.

Makes you wonder what clocks they can get on their 6 and 4 core. 4 Ghz 6 core possible?

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
It is evident that they have exceeded the target goal as Zen is performing at Broadwell-E level or better in two very different and both CPU heavy workloads which is outstanding. Even if we assume that Zen has 10% more efficient SMT engine (due to XYZ reasons) it would still imply that ST IPC is roughly in the same ballpark as Broadwell or Haswell. Which is in line with Lisa's comments on exceeding the IPC goals.

I'm impressed with the clocks they have achieved. I wrote previously that it is paramount for AMD to land in 3.3-3.7Ghz base-turbo range and this is exactly what they are saying they managed to do. I always assumed they will meet/exceed IPC goals since on paper Zen is 2x the XV core in almost every regard so it was basically a given. Adaptive Turbo and 95W TDP targets with those clocks they mention is simply outstanding piece of engineering work given how limited AMD is R&D wise (Vs intel).

I was saying since weeks that IF the FO4 is low, even with a worse process, the frequency could be high(er)... Evidently the FO4 is low enough...

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
I sympathize with you, that having that image profile, should be a torture to see a video in which Ryzen crushes the 6900K, on par in blender and +10% faster in handbrake (spoiler alert), and not even at final clocks, but this is the reality now.
No, why would it? I welcome any and all products to the market. I'm currently not in the market for a CPU, though. My KBL i5-7200U 13 performs phenomenally though, from what I can tell. Great battery life and stuff.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You also have to account for the mountain of "analytical" traders who don't really know anything about tech or AMD, who just blindly "buy on the rumor, sell on the news". For anyone long in this stock this presentation looks really promising. If the Ryzen really has that big of an edge in perf/watt.. this is going to be great for AMD's bottom line.

I think that AMD @ 10.60 is currently valued at the "hype range" basically where it should be about 6 months from now with Vega and Zen out on shelves. I personally don't think it has much room to grow, but likely up to 15 or at some point in 2017. I don't think it will stay there, though.

I think that tonight and especially tomorrow morning with post/pre market moves, it will spike huge with this presentation. This looks nothing short of miraculous to spec investors and considering the burst movements AMD has seen over the last several months, tomorrow could be another huge move. It might hit up to 11.50+ at some point, but I expect it to settle back down to 11 max by Friday.

....bear in mind, I know absolutely nothing about anything and this is purely based on what I have seen of AMD/INTC/NVDA movement over the last year and respective company moves and strange unforeseen market trends. But I feel that my blind luck-based predictions put me in the top 2% experience level of the highest-paid stock analysts. :D

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Okay, nice for AMD. Basically they have finally, after a 5 year delay, done what any company should do: make competitive products that are better than your previous ones, not worse (like BD was).

Great. This still not-leading edge CPU will drive down the SKL-X and KBL-X prices so people can buy Intel for cheaper. Good for both AMD and Intel fans.
I sense butthurtness in your comment ;).
BTW in what regard is Zen "still not-leading edge CPU"? I wonder what would objective intel engineer say if they would have asked him/her about Zen?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
The only reason im not cheer-leading now is because Broadwell-E will almost be one year old when first ZEN will launch.
But AMD have made a hugeeeeeeeeeee leap in the right direction with ZEN and everyone should acknowledge that and be happy, because we will have some competition back in the Desktop/Laptop that we all here care about.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
So I guess the question for gamers is.....what's the better Zen based CPU for them? A higher clocked 4 core? Or a slower clocked 8 core.

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
If I'm not mistaken Ryzen has hardware Hyperthreading ( 8 + 8 ) but 6900K does have 8 threads from cores with HT but do they have dedicate resource for HT like Ryzen ?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
r39v4xwzre3y.jpg

rtsurfer

Oct 14, 2013
Wow, the amount of clarity from AMD this time is amazing.

Could be better with TDP & stuff, but still pretty damn good.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
I sense butthurtness in your comment ;).
BTW in what regard is Zen "still not-leading edge CPU"? I wonder what would objective intel engineer say if they would have asked him/her about Zen?

AMD performing better than SKL I'll have to see. From what I remember, the architecture isn't all that exotic.

HC28.AMD.Mike%20Clark.final-page-007.jpg

OoO window: HSW level.
Loads: HSW/SKL.
Stores: HSW.
Scheduler entries: SKL.
Register: SKL.

24%20-%20OnTheFly_575px.jpg

rainy

Jul 17, 2013

Personally, I would advice to you rather to stop worshiping Intel because today's presentation it's some sort of humiliation for them.
If you don't know why look at this:
https://ycharts.com/companies/INTC/r_and_d_expense
https://ycharts.com/companies/AMD/r_and_d_expense

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Search for some x99 mobo benchmarks on the webs.
Running out of the box means you are letting the mobo decide on sustained turbo bursts,making some mobos run the CPU much slower,or the same speed but with higher consumption and so on.

The score is fine, someone else on overclock net with 5820k at 4,3 reported 54 seconds. Additionally, as you can see in the link i provided, another person tested with 6900k itself at 4,2 and got 42 seconds, which is more than their stock 6900k? Clearly the scene they are providing for anyone to test has different settings that the one they ran.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
This CPU smells like victory to me. I cautiously hoped for and expected OC's to be common at 4.2ghz, and it looks like that may be a practical target to expect given a base of 3.4. At the least I fully expect people to end up with a broadwell class 8/16 CPU @ 4ghz OC for a very fair price. Not a damn thing to complain about with that, and anyone who's an AMD fan with an existing AMD CPU, you now have full permission to completely mess your pants upon realizing the upgrade that is coming your way. This CPU will last a very long time in today's world. Looks like AMD might have actually pulled it off.
So, with Intel quads effectively killed and dead with Zen's release, and with the only other options being ridiculous $1,000+ Intel 8/16 broadwell and Skylake chips, I think AMD can expect "a few" new customers next year.;)

I'll add that I planned on buying an 8 core Skylake next year, but if it costs twice the price of a Zen, then nope, I'm not spending that. Intel needs to get their prices in check if they want to compete with Zen.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Personally, I would advice to you rather to stop worshiping Intel because today's presentation it's some sort humiliation for them.
If you don't know why look at this:
https://ycharts.com/companies/INTC/r_and_d_expense
https://ycharts.com/companies/AMD/r_and_d_expense
Lol.

* Does AMD have their own fabs that have had a 3 year transistor performance lead and substatially higher x'tor density than any other foundry in existence for the last 1.5 decades?
* Does AMD have 80-90% market share in PC and >90% in data center?
* Does AMD have Wi-fi, modem, Thunderbolt,... IP?
* Does AMD have Omni-Path or silicon photonics?
* Does AMD have an FPGA business?
* Does AMD have a foundry business?
* Does AMD produce NAND?
* Does AMD have a revolutionary non-volatile memory architecture that they will produce next year?
* Does AMD have an IoT business?
* Does AMD have an expansive software division (including security)?
* Does AMD have a x86 72-core HPC accelerator (Xeon Phi)?
* Does AMD have an artificial intelligence ASIC?
* Do I have to continue?
* Do you see how ridiculous your comparison is? Intel has a much higher budget for research and developmnt, and accordingly they produce much better products and invest in a lot more products.

Intel is the biggest company and, not surprisingly, they are the most innovative one. Or more practically, they simply have the best products. So you might try again, but you really humiliate yourself if you point at Intel's enormous R&D budget. That's their asset, not a liability ;).

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
The score is fine, someone else on overclock net with 5820k at 4,3 reported 54 seconds. Additionally, as you can see in the link i provided, another person tested with 6900k itself at 4,2 and got 42 seconds, which is more than their stock 6900k? Clearly the scene they are providing for anyone to test has different settings that the one they ran.

Maybe they used a build with AVX2? Here an user reported 20%+ gain over the official build and gave a link to download the build he compiled by himself...

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I'm not sure quads are "dead". That 8c cpu will still cost quite a bit I think. Obviously not as much as the 6900K but I'm thinking it won't be cheap. Don't forget AMD will also offer 6 and 4c cpus and this will attract many people if the IPC is haswell or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.