Question AMD Ryzen Memory Help

Heavy Metal T-Shirt

Jun 28, 2020
I have a noob AMD Ryzen question I hope someone would please help me with... When looking up compatible memory for my motherboard on ASrock's website it shows different lists depending on which CPU generation (Raven, Summit, Pinnacle). If I have a memory kit which shows it's compatible for Summit Ridge but isn't listed for Pinnacle Ridge, will the memory still work for a Pinnacle Ridge processor? I want to upgrade my 1500X to a 2600 and need to know if I have to change my memory too.

Feb 4, 2009
I have a noob AMD Ryzen question I hope someone would please help me with... When looking up compatible memory for my motherboard on ASrock's website it shows different lists depending on which CPU generation (Raven, Summit, Pinnacle). If I have a memory kit which shows it's compatible for Summit Ridge but isn't listed for Pinnacle Ridge, will the memory still work for a Pinnacle Ridge processor? I want to upgrade my 1500X to a 2600 and need to know if I have to change my memory too.

You will probably be fine but is it worth the effort to upgrade from a 1500x to a 2600?
What I mean is:
Are you gaining meaningful performance with this upgrade?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Any RAM that worked with Summit Ridge, should work with Pinnacle Ridge. You might be better off for performance getting faster memory, though.

Strangely, I had 4x8GB Team Vulcan (original, from Skylake days, not Team Vulcan Z) DDR4-3000 RAM, which was working in my Gigabyte AORUS PRO WIFI B450 ATX board, with a Ryzen R5 1600 @ XMP settings, but when I upgraded the BIOS to F50 (?), and then dropped in a Ryzen R5 3600 CPU, which is supposed to have a way better memory controller, and the same CPU was working fine (I mean, literally, THAT same CPU), in my Asus B450-F ROG STRIX Gaming ATX board, with 4x8GB DDR4-3600 Trident RGB RAM, and it WOULD NOT work with the DDR4-3000 RAM. Weirdness.

Anyways, I had some 16GB DIMMs of GSKill DDR4-3200 that I dropped into slot 2 and 4, and all was good again. No biggie, just kind of weird, that certain RAM would work with Summit Ridge, but not Matisse.

Heavy Metal T-Shirt

Jun 28, 2020
You will probably be fine but is it worth the effort to upgrade from a 1500x to a 2600?
What I mean is:
Are you gaining meaningful performance with this upgrade?
Thanks a lot for your help. I already have the 2600. I noticed the 1500X was bottlenecking my GTX 1070 so I got it about a year ago but haven't had the time to upgrade until now.

Heavy Metal T-Shirt

Jun 28, 2020
Any RAM that worked with Summit Ridge, should work with Pinnacle Ridge. You might be better off for performance getting faster memory, though.

Strangely, I had 4x8GB Team Vulcan (original, from Skylake days, not Team Vulcan Z) DDR4-3000 RAM, which was working in my Gigabyte AORUS PRO WIFI B450 ATX board, with a Ryzen R5 1600 @ XMP settings, but when I upgraded the BIOS to F50 (?), and then dropped in a Ryzen R5 3600 CPU, which is supposed to have a way better memory controller, and the same CPU was working fine (I mean, literally, THAT same CPU), in my Asus B450-F ROG STRIX Gaming ATX board, with 4x8GB DDR4-3600 Trident RGB RAM, and it WOULD NOT work with the DDR4-3000 RAM. Weirdness.

Anyways, I had some 16GB DIMMs of GSKill DDR4-3200 that I dropped into slot 2 and 4, and all was good again. No biggie, just kind of weird, that certain RAM would work with Summit Ridge, but not Matisse.
That's what worries me with this. I guess getting new memory is much easier and cheaper than a new board plus memory like whenever Intel changes something.