AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and fan noise.

Foamhead

Sep 10, 2019
Does anyone else have this CPU and is it normal for the stock fan to be a little on the loud side?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's not the quietest fan out there, but depending on your motherboard, you can set the CPU temperature monitor interval to a longer period. I ended up having to do that for my 2700X (with the Asus motherboard in my signature) as the AMD's XFR and Precision Boost was causing my fan to spin up and down pretty much all the time. I think I set the temperature polling at 10 seconds, which took care of the problem. It's likely the constant RPM change with the fan is what you are noticing.

Additionally, you can set a custom fan profile in your BIOS, and that can help as well.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
The OEM HSF is made to run the system at stock settings plus at least able to hold XFR for a little bit. What that basically means is by defualt without any changes it will run at max power for most of the time it is doing something and probably thermally throttling for extended tasks. This means it will be decently loud. Getting better cooling, or quieter cooling, or a combination of both you must get an aftermarket cooler.

Foamhead

Sep 10, 2019
It's not the quietest fan out there, but depending on your motherboard, you can set the CPU temperature monitor interval to a longer period. I ended up having to do that for my 2700X (with the Asus motherboard in my signature) as the AMD's XFR and Precision Boost was causing my fan to spin up and down pretty much all the time. I think I set the temperature polling at 10 seconds, which took care of the problem. It's likely the constant RPM change with the fan is what you are noticing.

Additionally, you can set a custom fan profile in your BIOS, and that can help as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Next time I reboot I'm going to give this a try.