AMD Ryzen 5000 Builders Thread

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If you are talk about Zen 3D, I get your point. However, I don't think I will want to spend the dosh on those. Given the manufacturing cost, they are going to be pricey (as I doubt AMD wants 20% margins on them). As it is, I won't be going with Zen4 because that would mean a new CPU, Mobo and DDR5 DRAM. Well, I guess I could sell the same from my current system - didn't think about that. But I don't think the Missus would go for that, since I would expect the cost differential > $500. Geez, I need a side husle.

There will be B2-stepping refresh of Vermeer. Should bring some minor improvements and security fixes.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So everything was humming along fine until today.
One rig is behaving fine
The other has had two reboots during a game. The culprit?
Cache hierarchy error
This is the chip that I replaced for that exact same error!

Something is not right here and to be honest I am little effed about the time I am spending on this back and forth with the shop... even if they replace no problem.

Just wanna settle an old tab here. A new bios update came out. Problem gone. So. yea :).

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Found out about the OEM 5800G and 5900G CPUs just now! I am interested in the Ryzen 5900G CPU. Do you think AMD will release the 5800G and 5900G to the DIYers at the end of the year or early 2022?

Update: Found my answer and not interest anymore!

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Just wanted to share a very frustrating anecdote with my 5950X build

I bought the CPU and an H110i cooler but then the PSU is tripping.
Eventually it fried the RGB on my H110.
I switched to my H100 and after switching the connectors it somehow worked.

But it crashes and hangs on Windows regularly. Well I blamed AMD GPU drivers for those.
Then NVMe drives start having issues, I get WHEAs during long disk operations on Windows, usually when exporting VMs to OVA
Then I bought a B550 board after blaming X570 instability
It worked for a while no WHEAs but when I started heavy work again it came.

So I blamed my RX5700 when the crashes came when running stuff using PlaidML, so I swapped in my RX480, it worked for a while.
Then the crashes came again, so I bought a 6600XT it worked for a while then it start crashing again
I switched the DP cables and bought the most expensive cables I saw on Amazon for my two monitors
So I blamed the Intel NVMes and Samsung NVMEs bought new SATA SSD, got WHEAs

Finally I got some time these few weeks and took out the Platinum Seasonic PSU and replaced it a cheap Cooler Master PSU.
Never had WHEA again for a quite a while

Strangely on Linux the system is much more stable, so I never thought it was the PSU.
Crashes during a long VM export of 2 hours is extremely annoying
I never did a stress, test unfortunately. The moment I put the parts together I am busy installing a long list of software on Windows and all the myriad of PPAs on Linux I don't wanna run any tests
It was a lot of hair pulling over a period of time on Windows with a lot of cursing about the pathetic stability of windows :|

I don't know what I was thinking, I was ready to replace so many things but not install some stability tests software and run them because I was worried about the "golden" packages that I replicated from my Zen2 system
In the meanwhile my Zen2 system running Linux has rebooted only twice or thrice. It was never shutdown at any point in time since I got my 5950X.

TLDR:
Even Best components from the reputable brands can fail, in my case unexpectedly a PSU
Run some stress test after assembly.

The *WORST* component failure I've ever had was a faulting PSU ... That * *'er fried harddrives and whatnot until, by process(frying) of elimination I figured out it was the PSU... (that was a core2quad build).

Jul 27, 2020
The *WORST* component failure I've ever had was a faulting PSU ... That * *'er fried harddrives and whatnot until, by process(frying) of elimination I figured out it was the PSU... (that was a core2quad build).
Happened to me when I had a Celeron 700MHz. My HDD would freeze downloading any file from the internet. Went into the BIOS to look around and saw that +12V was showing 12.14V. A little searching revealed that components are not designed to tolerate anything more than +/-5% voltage variance. Got a new PSU and it showed 12.05 or something like that. Never had my HDD freeze on that PSU.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Happened to me when I had a Celeron 700MHz. My HDD would freeze downloading any file from the internet. Went into the BIOS to look around and saw that +12V was showing 12.14V. A little searching revealed that components are not designed to tolerate anything more than +/-5% voltage variance. Got a new PSU and it showed 12.05 or something like that. Never had my HDD freeze on that PSU.
IIRC I had 11.0something on that line… The real moron part on my part is that I knew something was probably not 100% as it would give off this super super high pitched whine… noone else could hear it, it annoyed me as hell to, but with headset and a little manipulation of the surroundings I could orchestrate the acoustics so it disappeared. Stupid. Me. Plus im pretty certain I caught a lil tinnitus from it..

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I dodge a bullet earlier this summer. Woke up one morning and the UPS for the home theater in the basement was going off. Something caused the breaker to trip and when resetting it instantly flipped. Undid everything and plugged the PC into the wall and it would not turn on. Swapped the PSU for another spare I had and everything worked fine. It was pretty much a brand new NZXT (Seasonic manufactured) unit powering my 10700k and 3080, but was only turning on to do daily backups. I may have 20 hours of gaming since building the system in July 2020.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
New build... My 3rd 5950x build.
ASUS AM4 Pro WS x570 motherboard
5950x Ryzen
be cool dark pro 4
32 gig (4 x 8 gig) 3200c14
500 meg MP600 PCIE 4.0 nvme
EVGA 3070TI
EVGA 850 watt fully modular gold PSU (came as a package deal on newegg shuffle that I won the 3070TI on)

Pics: (cpu and case due this week and next Monday, old CPU box, and a duplicate case pic)
20211206_134754[1].jpg
20211206_134754[1].jpg20211206_134825[1].jpg
Partially assembled, no case or CPU.
20211206_135852[1].jpg

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So I have all the pieces except the CPU (comes Monday). Its all put together except that and the video card. I can't wait !

Reactions: Drazick

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
After viewing this video and reading several articles and forum posts I attempted to overclock my 5600X using PBO. Coming from an overclocked Intel i5-2500K system this is definitely a different way of oc'ing.

I used AMD Ryzen Master, OCCT (CPU, small data test) for stress testing, HWiNFO64 for monitoring, and Cinebench for benchmarks.

I first tried using Ryzen Master with my 5600X and Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 MB to overclock PBO. It sets the PBO Limits to the Motherboard Limits. I ran OCCT's CPU test small data set. CPU temp was high, 87.3C, and CPU max frequency was 4467Mhz. I am using a be quiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU cooler with 2 fans in a push-pull config. See comparison chart below for Cinebench results.

If I set PBO in my bios to Auto and run OCCT I get 4247Mhz, 1.074V, 66.8C. It sets it to the 5600X default PBO Limits PPT 76, TDC 60, EDC 90. See chart for Cinebench results.

I compared the Auto and Disabled settings to different Advanced settings. In the bios I set PBO Advanced settings PBO Limits to Motherboard, PBO Scaler to Auto, Curve Optimizer to negative 30, 30, 8, 30, 30, 30, Boost Override to 0, 50, 100, 200; and Thermal Throttle limit to Auto. I got OCCT errors in Core 2 down to -8, all others were ok at -30. Comparison Chart

Setting the PBO Limits to Motherboard gave me some very high numbers, PPT 1000, TDC 250, EDC 270. When running Cinebench multi core only a fraction of these settings were used.

In PBO Auto mode the default 5600X PBO Limits settings were not enough when running Cinebench Multi core.

The PBO Auto and Disabled settings surprised me. I thought the Cinebench benchmarks would be much lower than the Advanced settings. Of course this is only one benchmark. Results may be different with others and games.

Except for a slightly higher Cinebench single core result for a Boost Override of 200 there was almost no difference in the HWinFO64 readings between 0 and 200 boost override.

I ran some more benchmarks with the free version of 3DMark and the trial version of Geekbench 5. Both benchmarks showed an increase in the voltage, CPU frequency, and temperature with increases to PBO's Boost Override. There was though only a slight rise in the benchmark scores. With a Boost Override of 200 the CPU frequency was 4841Mhz.

Screenshot 2021-12-10 174642.jpg

Geekbench has a separate CPU benchmark test. Results The 3DMark basic edition runs an ~7 minute demo of Time Spy and gives you separate CPU, GPU, and combined scores.

Screenshot 2021-12-10 135406.jpg

Just a footnote for anyone that has an Asrock MB. Their Restart to UEFI app, only 1Mb, available from their MB Download section, is very helpful when you have to access your bios frequently.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
After viewing this video and reading several articles and forum posts I attempted to overclock my 5600X using PBO. Coming from an overclocked Intel i5-2500K system this is definitely a different way of oc'ing.

I used AMD Ryzen Master, OCCT (CPU, small data test) for stress testing, HWiNFO64 for monitoring, and Cinebench for benchmarks.

I first tried using Ryzen Master with my 5600X and Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 MB to overclock PBO. It sets the PBO Limits to the Motherboard Limits. I ran OCCT's CPU test small data set. CPU temp was high, 87.3C, and CPU max frequency was 4467Mhz. I am using a be quiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU cooler with 2 fans in a push-pull config. See comparison chart below for Cinebench results.

If I set PBO in my bios to Auto and run OCCT I get 4247Mhz, 1.074V, 66.8C. It sets it to the 5600X default PBO Limits PPT 76, TDC 60, EDC 90. See chart for Cinebench results.

I compared the Auto and Disabled settings to different Advanced settings. In the bios I set PBO Advanced settings PBO Limits to Motherboard, PBO Scaler to Auto, Curve Optimizer to negative 30, 30, 8, 30, 30, 30, Boost Override to 0, 50, 100, 200; and Thermal Throttle limit to Auto. I got OCCT errors in Core 2 down to -8, all others were ok at -30. Comparison Chart

Setting the PBO Limits to Motherboard gave me some very high numbers, PPT 1000, TDC 250, EDC 270. When running Cinebench multi core only a fraction of these settings were used.

In PBO Auto mode the default 5600X PBO Limits settings were not enough when running Cinebench Multi core.

The PBO Auto and Disabled settings surprised me. I thought the Cinebench benchmarks would be much lower than the Advanced settings. Of course this is only one benchmark. Results may be different with others and games.

Except for a slightly higher Cinebench single core result for a Boost Override of 200 there was almost no difference in the HWinFO64 readings between 0 and 200 boost override.
Could it be the limits of my CPU or the Curve Optimizer set at -30, the max, for 5 of 6 cores, or is there something else I can do or not doing?

That is a great video i'm actually running his PBO settings on my 5800X right now its been good.

scineram

Nov 1, 2020
5700G, Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX

Guys, when I enable Global C-states there is video output corruption after logging into Windows and at idle. But during a benchmark run the artifacts go away. Has anybody seen this before? What else should I change in the BIOS? Everythings is up to date.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
After viewing this video and reading several articles and forum posts I attempted to overclock my 5600X using PBO. Coming from an overclocked

Every system has a sweet spot.
Pushing a CPU to it's limits does not mean your running efficiently.

mine has NO PBO

My CPU has some high CineBench and Handbrake benchmarks at 1.35v ( max default voltage ) at 4900 with a static OC.

However, --- my best 3dMarks ---- scores are at 1.25 volts on my static OC at 4425.

I like my system as it is, yes it can take more abuse, but I have NO issues with anything at 1.25 volts.

Find your sweet spot.

PBO is different for each motherboard manufacturer.
It's designed for BOOST MODE ONLY overclocking.

( not all systems are created equally )

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
5700G, Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX

Guys, when I enable Global C-states there is video output corruption after logging into Windows and at idle. But during a benchmark run the artifacts go away. Has anybody seen this before? What else should I change in the BIOS? Everythings is up to date.
It goes away when you turn global C state off?