AMD Ryzen 5000 Builders Thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Last edited:

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
How do most of you set your memory timings? Im using a Asus Dark Hero with a 5900x and this ram
What tool do most of you use or are you just manually adjusting your timings? When I set the DOCP I get constant 40 post codes.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
Just wanted to share a very frustrating anecdote with my 5950X build

I bought the CPU and an H110i cooler but then the PSU is tripping.
Eventually it fried the RGB on my H110.
I switched to my H100 and after switching the connectors it somehow worked.

But it crashes and hangs on Windows regularly. Well I blamed AMD GPU drivers for those.
Then NVMe drives start having issues, I get WHEAs during long disk operations on Windows, usually when exporting VMs to OVA
Then I bought a B550 board after blaming X570 instability
It worked for a while no WHEAs but when I started heavy work again it came.

So I blamed my RX5700 when the crashes came when running stuff using PlaidML, so I swapped in my RX480, it worked for a while.
Then the crashes came again, so I bought a 6600XT it worked for a while then it start crashing again
I switched the DP cables and bought the most expensive cables I saw on Amazon for my two monitors
So I blamed the Intel NVMes and Samsung NVMEs bought new SATA SSD, got WHEAs

Finally I got some time these few weeks and took out the Platinum Seasonic PSU and replaced it a cheap Cooler Master PSU.
Never had WHEA again for a quite a while

Strangely on Linux the system is much more stable, so I never thought it was the PSU.
Crashes during a long VM export of 2 hours is extremely annoying
I never did a stress, test unfortunately. The moment I put the parts together I am busy installing a long list of software on Windows and all the myriad of PPAs on Linux I don't wanna run any tests
It was a lot of hair pulling over a period of time on Windows with a lot of cursing about the pathetic stability of windows :|

I don't know what I was thinking, I was ready to replace so many things but not install some stability tests software and run them because I was worried about the "golden" packages that I replicated from my Zen2 system
In the meanwhile my Zen2 system running Linux has rebooted only twice or thrice. It was never shutdown at any point in time since I got my 5950X.

TLDR:
Even Best components from the reputable brands can fail, in my case unexpectedly a PSU
Run some stress test after assembly.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Yeah, stress tests are sanity tests. Later you'll never want to go down the rabbit hole of debugging your whole system to pin down the source of instabilities anyway, so better be safe right after assembly than sorry.

Reactions: DisEnchantment

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
How do most of you set your memory timings? Im using a Asus Dark Hero with a 5900x and this ram
What tool do most of you use or are you just manually adjusting your timings? When I set the DOCP I get constant 40 post codes.

Ryzen dram calculator to start as a base profile. Then I've continued to modify them based on other recommendations and settings I've seen some from others with the same memory modules.

However getting Post issues with DOCP settings and nothing else tweaked is not a good sign.

Last edited:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
So what a shocker :innocent:

MS has a "new" OS launching at the same time as Alder Lake with scheduler enhancements and everything in order make sure it works well. Meanwhile when AMD releases FX or Zen CPUs, MS is like, "yeah we'll get around to updating the scheduler a little bit in a few months... idk... we're pretty busy making sure Candy Crush works well on UWP."

AMD: Windows 11 Slows Our CPUs Up To 15%, Patch Coming
Renoir

AMD has announced that all of its WIndows 11-compatible processors can suffer from reduced performance in some applications when used with the new operating system, with extreme outliers in eSports gaming titles dropping by up to 10–15%. For applications, AMD says that the performance impact weighs in at 3–5%. A software update and a Windows Update are in the works to address the issues, with both expected to arrive in October 2021 (this month).

The errors impact every Ryzen CPU supported in Windows 11. That means all Zen+, Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPUs that comprise the Ryzen 2000, Ryzen 3000, Ryzen 4000, and Ryzen 5000 processors are impacted. In addition, select AMD EPYC processors for data centers, along with some newer Athlon chips, are also impacted. You can see the full list here, but suffice it to say that every AMD chip on our Best CPUs for gaming list is impacted.

Just in time for the Alder Lake reviews.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Ryzen dram calculator to start as a base profile. Then I've continued to modify them based on other recommendations and settings I've seen some from others with the same memory modules.
Wow, didn’t notice that those timing were with 32GB of RAM 😱. I can’t manage to keep 1T stable anymore. Jelly.

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
Some gamebenchmarks i did a while back in preperation for the Alder lake launch:

Video recording of the SotTR run:

Game results for maxed zen3 vs maxed Alderlake (cstkl1 Alderlake at Cl36 6400MT)

Horizon Zero Dawn 1080p favor performance:
  • Average fps = 307fps vs 294 fps = Alder lake is 4.4% faster
  • 95% = 223fps vs 212fps = Alder lake is 5.1% faster
  • 99% = 197fps vs 193fps = Alder lake is 2% faster.

Shadow of the tomb raider 1080p lowest:
  • Average fps = 361fps vs 353fps = Alder lake is 2.2% faster
  • 95% = 266fps vs 246fps = Alder lake is 8% faster
  • 99% = 247fps vs 246fps = TIE

F1 2020 1080p low:
  • Average fps = 528fps vs 490fps = Alder lake is 7.7% faster

Farcry 6 1080p ultra:
  • Average fps = 185ps vs 162fps = Alder lake is 14% faster

Given that these are game titles that historically Intel has done very well in, I do not know if Intel should be too happy with Alder Lake, especially if AMD can deliver on the promise of + 15% with v-cache around Christmas season

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm starting to get a bit itchy for a 5900x, since the used 3900x's are holding their value pretty well. Can't afford a video card upgrade, so I may go for it. PBO2 seems like it may make it worth it.

Reactions: lightmanek

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I'm starting to get a bit itchy for a 5900x, since the used 3900x's are holding their value pretty well. Can't afford a video card upgrade, so I may go for it. PBO2 seems like it may make it worth it.

Do it I did the 3800X to 5800X flip before the Zen 2 chip lost too much value. So paid $440 for the 3800X in Dec 2019 and sold it for $400 in Jan 2021. And I plan to do the same for the 3d cache launch only ADL-S has made sure I wont get close to the same return when I flip the 5800X.

Wait til January.

This is also a good suggestion however the resale value of his Zen 2 chip will be even lower by the time 3d cache launch so timing is everything.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Wait til January.
This is also a good suggestion however the resale value of his Zen 2 chip will be even lower by the time 3d cache launch so timing is everything.

Yeah, that's what I've been batting around in my head. The 5900x is likely to drop in price, though there is no guarantee. My 3900x will much more likely drop in value, since it will be another 'generation' behind.

Reactions: Makaveli

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If you're selling a used chip, then I dunno, it's gonna be hit-or-miss. But better products are on the way.
If you are talk about Zen 3D, I get your point. However, I don't think I will want to spend the dosh on those. Given the manufacturing cost, they are going to be pricey (as I doubt AMD wants 20% margins on them). As it is, I won't be going with Zen4 because that would mean a new CPU, Mobo and DDR5 DRAM. Well, I guess I could sell the same from my current system - didn't think about that. But I don't think the Missus would go for that, since I would expect the cost differential > $500. Geez, I need a side husle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I plan to buy the 5950x 3D equivalent the second I can get my hands on one and flip my 5950x on FS/FT here for a good deal. Why is moar cache exciting me so much?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Are there expected gains in DC work?
I read that Milan-x got up to 80% improvement, and a lot of DC work does a lot better on 5950x vs 3950x, and I bet its cache. And I have to try all new toys. If Alter lake did not suck so much, I would get one

Reactions: Drazick

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I read that Milan-x got up to 80% improvement, and a lot of DC work does a lot better on 5950x vs 3950x, and I bet its cache. And I have to try all new toys. If Alter lake did not suck so much, I would get one
Yeah, I miss the engineering job where I got bonuses. The Missus was much more amenable to me spending some of the bonus money on new toys. I used to buy new stuff just because - was lots of fun.

Last edited: