AMD Ryzen 5000 Builders Thread

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I wound up doing a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 20H2 as I noticed some performance anomalies with boosting behavior in certain applications. I usually do a fresh install when a new version comes out, but I was eager to play this time so I just upgraded and swapped in the 5600x.

Not a huge difference on the latency, but every little bit less counts. I might have to revisit the timings and see if I can break the 50ns barrier. My boosting behavior looks normal in the apps I've tested so far. If I enable PBO in Ryzen Master my all core loaded clocks hit 4550MHz in CBr20 and the few other apps I've tested so far.

If you compare the time to my earlier posting it does look like it's not just a anomaly with the latency.

5600x_4000_CL15.jpg

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
AMD released the RyzenMaster SDK and I tried it quickly and it seems excellent.
It can read frequencies really, really fast. But if I read it too fast the frequencies went up because my app is using CPU :grinning:
Libraries are C++ only, so you can build a quick UI with Qt5 for good performance. But I started it with WPF thinking I will reuse some parts on Linux but then I recollect the library is Windows only :(
I even added a json middlerware to route it to an asp.net core SPA because ....
I got all values read by the SDK in the Model in my dll and reporting to the C# UI thread, but I am now preparing a view. However, I am thinking of using my RPi3 to drive its LCD inside instead with values I send over from the app.
I got, TDC/EDC/Clocks/Temps/ and many more

1606085624217.png

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
AMD Unveils Precision Boost Overdrive 2 To Amp-Up Ryzen 5000 Performance Even Further (hothardware.com)

I decided to play around with the above on my 5600x. Gives a nice single core boost, but not much on the all core.

This is what I changed in the uEFI. I changed the Max CPU Boost Clock Override to 200, but once the setting are saved and rebooted they show 0MHz when going back into the uEFI. I thinks there's a bug? If you change anything in the uEFI you have to input 200 again and save and exit or no more extra boost.

curve optimizer_+300_boost.PNG

Using CBr20 to test. Single core boost 4825-4850MHz all core 4525-4575MHz. Nice single core boost! All core boost didn't have much gain over just enabling PBO.

curve optimizer_CBr20.png

I'm going to increase the negative offset a little more and see what happens. I tried 10 the 1st time and system rebooted.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I guess the only fear I had about swapping in the 5900x was the FCLK potential. I haven't tried anything higher yet, but at least I'm good to go at 4000MHz still. I just swapped it in this AM so I haven't really had too much time to play around with it yet. After playing around for a while I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows....Some say it's not a requirement, but I'm one of those just in case end users!

5900x_4000_CL15a.png

There was a little bit of a latency penalty compared to the 5600x, but I think I can live with it.

5600x_4000_CL15.png

Last edited:

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
I guess the only fear I had about swapping in the 5900x as the FCLK potential. I haven't tried anything higher yet, but at least I'm good to go at 4000MHz still. I just swapped it in this AM so I haven't really had too much time to play around with it yet. After playing around for a while I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows....Some say it's not a requirement, but I'm one of those just in case end users!

View attachment 34618

There was a little bit of a latency penalty compared to the 5600x, but I think I can live with it.

View attachment 34619

Damn! Your RAM is clocking well! I guess you are running 2 sticks?
I made my set of Samsung B-Die stable at 3840MHz CL18-17-16 and the rest of subtimings tweaked, but my best latency was 56.8ns and 56GB/s Read.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Damn! Your RAM is clocking well! I guess you are running 2 sticks?
I made my set of Samsung B-Die stable at 3840MHz CL18-17-16 and the rest of subtimings tweaked, but my best latency was 56.8ns and 56GB/s Read.

Yep! and yes I'm only running 2 sticks. I'm thinking my kit was produced during the crazy high DDR4 pricing and wasn't really binned well, if at all....I wouldn't min

Can your kit do 3600 CL14? With tight timings you could shave off a couple ns's and not lose any bandwidth....Viewing my 3600 CL14 snip a couple posts above for reference.

What kit do you have? The dual rank 32GB one?

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Yep! and yes I'm only running 2 sticks. I'm thinking my kit was produced during the crazy high DDR4 pricing and wasn't really binned well, if at all....I wouldn't min

Can your kit do 3600 CL14? With tight timings you could shave off a couple ns's and not lose any bandwidth....Viewing my 3600 CL14 snip a couple posts above for reference.

What kit do you have? The dual rank 32GB one?

G.Skill Tident Z RGB F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
At least in 4 DIMM configuration, my kit fails at 3600 CL14, it will do 3333 CL14 with 1.4V. I need to try it with only 2 DIMMS at some point, but 3820MHz CL18-17-16 is not bad, considering it's 4 sticks. Tonight, I've tried pushing 3866MHz and it failed miserably :D, not detecting CPU, so I guess IF had enough at 1933MHz. Now I'm struggling to get back to my stable 3820MHz, heck even XMP 3600 CL16 was giving me memory errors. Need to clear BIOS and start from scratch me thinks!

EDIT: forgot to mention that I never tried more than 1.45V on my memory, maybe it's time to give em some volts? Just need to place a fan blowing on DIMM's as there is no air-flow there due to Water Cooling.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
G.Skill Tident Z RGB F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
At least in 4 DIMM configuration, my kit fails at 3600 CL14, it will do 3333 CL14 with 1.4V. I need to try it with only 2 DIMMS at some point, but 3820MHz CL18-17-16 is not bad, considering it's 4 sticks. Tonight, I've tried pushing 3866MHz and it failed miserably :D, not detecting CPU, so I guess IF had enough at 1933MHz. Now I'm struggling to get back to my stable 3820MHz, heck even XMP 3600 CL16 was giving me memory errors. Need to clear BIOS and start from scratch me thinks!

EDIT: forgot to mention that I never tried more than 1.45V on my memory, maybe it's time to give em some volts? Just need to place a fan blowing on DIMM's as there is no air-flow there due to Water Cooling.

4000MHz takes 1.5v's on my kit. I have the Corsair iCUE 220T case with 2 140mm's up top as exhaust. They're cooling my memory and VRM heatsinks.

I use the MB's overclock profiles for different memory clocks. Quick and easy to switch or restore them when I tinker around.

I just need to score a reference 6800 (XT) and I'll be set. They're the largest that will fit as my AIO is front mounted. Reference 5700 in there now with maybe 3/4" of clearance.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
4000MHz takes 1.5v's on my kit. I have the Corsair iCUE 220T case with 2 140mm's up top as exhaust. They're cooling my memory and VRM heatsinks.

I use the MB's overclock profiles for different memory clocks. Quick and easy to switch or restore them when I tinker around.

I just need to score a reference 6800 (XT) and I'll be set. They're the largest that will fit as my AIO is front mounted. Reference 5700 in there now with maybe 3/4" of clearance.

I have 9 fans in my case, but Thermaltake Core X9 is soooo freaking huge, that there is virtually no air moving around RAM and VRM's :laughing:

Sample pic

Image_16S-j.webp

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I've been playing around looking for the FCLK limit. 2200MHz was a no go! I might try again later as it may have just been pilot error.

I'm playing around trying to see if I can get this dialed in a little better. I've only set some of the sub-timings so far. I haven't tried dropping it down to CL16 yet as I had some other issue that I resolved, but thought it might have been the CL causing it.

4200MHz_semi-tweaked.png

I haven't played around much with 4266MHz other then making sure it was at least semi-stable and not at the FCLK limit.

4266MHz_test.PNG

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
I've been playing around looking for the FCLK limit. 2200MHz was a no go! I might try again later as it may have just been pilot error.

I'm playing around trying to see if I can get this dialed in a little better. I've only set some of the sub-timings so far. I haven't tried dropping it down to CL16 yet as I had some other issue that I resolved, but thought it might have been the CL causing it.

View attachment 34633

I haven't played around much with 4266MHz other then making sure it was at least semi-stable and not at the FCLK limit.

View attachment 34634

Massive clock for a regular cooling! This is the highest IF clock I have seen till now.
It would be interesting to test scaling from lower IF and memory clock, let's say 3200MHz XMP to your max, tweaked setting in few select games (low res, CSGO, F1, other) and applications (not Cinebench as this won't scale).

TechyGeek

Feb 23, 2015
Hi guys

Building a 5950x system here :)

• Primary role is gaming development and vms.
  • Thinking of buying 2 crucial BL2K32G36C16U4BL kits for 128gb ram total.
  • Already bought icegiant pro siphon cooler - look that one up :)
  • Already have asus gaming tuf x570 mobo.
  • Already have evga supernova 850 g3 psu
  • Already have fractal r7 case.
  • GPU is going to be 6800xt?
Questions :

Is Mobo/PSU combo OK for 4.5ghz all core pbo and 5 ghz single?

Can I do tweaks and slight ram oc on this mobo/PSU? Like run it at 3733mhz 15 cas latency and 1.4 v?

Can I throw in a gpu overclock too?

Thanks all!

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
Hi guys

Building a 5950x system here :)

• Primary role is gaming development and vms.
  • Thinking of buying 2 crucial BL2K32G36C16U4BL kits for 128gb ram total.
  • Already bought icegiant pro siphon cooler - look that one up :)
  • Already have asus gaming tuf x570 mobo.
  • Already have evga supernova 850 g3 psu
  • Already have fractal r7 case.
  • GPU is going to be 6800xt?
Questions :

Is Mobo/PSU combo OK for 4.5ghz all core pbo and 5 ghz single?

Can I do tweaks and slight ram oc on this mobo/PSU? Like run it at 3733mhz 15 cas latency and 1.4 v?

Can I throw in a gpu overclock too?

Thanks all!
Doesn't that cooler require a horizontal mount?
I don't think your case will work with that cooler.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
👋 Hi there,

FAQ for icegiant cooler says height of the cooler is 164mm or 16.4 cm or 6.46 inch. I can comfortably fit it with an inch clearance still remaining :)
I was referring to the gravity-driven two-phase system. That means that the cold plate needs to be on the bottom. The condenser cools the vapor into a liquid and it needs gravity to bring it back to the cold plate. Therefore, you need a horizontal mount for your motherboard.

Reactions: Tlh97 and TechyGeek

TechyGeek

Feb 23, 2015
I was referring to the gravity-driven two-phase system. That means that the cold plate needs to be on the bottom. The condenser cools the vapor into a liquid and it needs gravity to bring it back to the cold plate. Therefore, you need a horizontal mount for your motherboard.

From FAQ on icegiantcooling.com

If the ProSiphon Elite depends on gravity to return the liquid, how well will it work when it is oriented in a case (motherboard is vertical) versus sitting on an open bench setup (motherboard is horizontal)?
The ProSiphon Elite will perform similiarly in both orientations. One of the ways that the patented ProSiphon technology differentiates itself from previous thermosiphon designs is that it can operate in the vertical orientation. The 'ProSiphon Elite' page provides more information regarding orientation.
However, the ProSiphon Elite cannot operate if the evaporator is completely above the condenser.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017

If the ProSiphon Elite depends on gravity to return the liquid, how well will it work when it is oriented in a case (motherboard is vertical) versus sitting on an open bench setup (motherboard is horizontal)?
The ProSiphon Elite will perform similiarly in both orientations. One of the ways that the patented ProSiphon technology differentiates itself from previous thermosiphon designs is that it can operate in the vertical orientation. The 'ProSiphon Elite' page provides more information regarding orientation.
However, the ProSiphon Elite cannot operate if the evaporator is completely above the condenser.
Ahhh... I see. The straight-on image on the page doesn't show the offset, and I obviously didn't read the FAQ, lol.
In any event, I've added it to my list of cool equipment that I "need". I almost exclusively use horizontal mount MB's these days. I've got a ThermalTake V21 still in the box for my own upcoming Zen 3 build, but I suppose it'll even work in my old Corsair Air 540, heh.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

It looks like it'll work, but it's going to be a lot of weight hanging off the MB. 4.4lbs? You probably want to come up with a way to support it as that's a lot of weight hanging off the MB socket. I don't think it would be hard to support, but I guess it's a matter what's cosmetically pleasing to you.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I have the same case as you lightmanek and just bought two kits of F4-3600C17-16GTZ Trident Z last night, so I'm hoping I have similarly good luck with the RAM. It's an older b-die kit (stock 17-18-18), but it seems to run fine at 3600 16-16-16 @ 1.35V with my 3600. Sold the 5800X and am waiting on 5900X so I won't bother really pushing it now, but I'm also a little concerned on airflow once I do, especially being water cooled.

I was thinking I might 3D print a shroud that connects to the rear fan above the IO shield and forces air to be pulled from the VRM and RAM area of the motherboard.