Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
That is pretty amazing. Has to be the first time I've seen all models of Ryzen in stock at the same time.

I keep hearing news that the silicon shortage is going to get worse...someone should tell AMD that!

I think a lot people are extrapolating not getting a GPU and the auto industries' horrible planning to 'silicon shortage'.

I have argued elsewhere there is merely a capacity and therefore time issue for GPU's, they are much more complicated to make than CPU's BUT, there is no shortage of GPU's of CPU's; just the ability to make more GPU silicon right now; to me, a real shortage in chips would be a disaster that cut production capacity, like Intel or TSMC lost a fab or 2.

If there was truly a silicon / chip shortage, retailers and e-tailers would have no other PC components or consumer electronics to sell; I could not go to Walmart and get a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive for $7 nor a new Apple product or what ever.

I guess my point is, not enough of one or two products is getting spun into "the whole industry is in a shortage!"

Reactions: KompuKare

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I think a lot people are extrapolating not getting a GPU and the auto industries' horrible planning to 'silicon shortage'.

I have argued elsewhere there is merely a capacity and therefore time issue for GPU's, they are much more complicated to make than CPU's BUT, there is no shortage of GPU's of CPU's; just the ability to make more GPU silicon right now; to me, a real shortage in chips would be a disaster that cut production capacity, like Intel or TSMC lost a fab or 2.

If there was truly a silicon / chip shortage, retailers and e-tailers would have no other PC components or consumer electronics to sell; I could not go to Walmart and get a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive for $7 nor a new Apple product or what ever.

I guess my point is, not enough of one or two products is getting spun into "the whole industry is in a shortage!"

There is a general shortage. The companies we work with for sourcing parts are all having difficulty with certain supplies. I think the shortage hit a few specific sectors the hardest, but its effect has been pretty wide spread.

Reactions: Tlh97 and prtskg

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Oof, it is as fast as a 3090 in a lot of things tho... :confused:
Since I keep up with IT news I already knew that we were in a prolonged tech shortage when that card came up and I jumped right on it with no hesitation and I don't regret it one bit. I'll be glad when my 5950x arrives so it can be a full steam. RIght now my 3900x with SAM enabled does fairly well but I want more...just like CPT Kirk calling up the engine room to ask Mr. Scott for more power.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Honestly, at this point, why bother? If the move to AM5 happens this year, all these CPUs will shortly be platform-obsolete, the way AM3 is today...

*edit*
Downvoted? Really? 40 pages of people complaining about a retail shortage, we're past mid-2021, and a new socket is right around the corner... and now people get downvoted (anonymously!) for speaking their mind? When did this forum become Facebook or Twitter? Who the hell even asked for this feature?

You're really trying to get rid of us old-timers, or what? This exactly the kind of crap that makes us less interested in visiting this place.

Last edited:
Reactions: HutchinsonJC

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I never swap to a new standard first thing to give them a chance to work the bugs out hence I went ahead and grabbed a 5950x so I can keep my pc in top form until that time.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Honestly, at this point, why bother? If the move to AM5 happens this year, all these CPUs will shortly be platform-obsolete, the way AM3 is today...

If you are building an all new machine then I'd agree with you there. For me though, just dropping in a 5600x to replace my 2600x would be easy and cheap as my motherboards bios will support the upgrade.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You're really trying to get rid of us old-timers, or what? This exactly the kind of crap that makes us less interested in visiting this place.

Have an updoot. I kind of agree with you, though I've been waiting on AM5 since 2019, so I'm just very stubborn. For anyone that wants to build a system today, it's AM4 or bust. AMD is playing their cards so close to their collective chest that it's impossible to get a read on exactly when AM5 will be available to the masses.

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017

*edit*
Downvoted? Really? 40 pages of people complaining about a retail shortage, we're past mid-2021, and a new socket is right around the corner... and now people get dowvoted (anonymously!) for speaking their mind? When did this forum become Facebook or Twitter? Who the hell even asked for this feature?

Well, if AMD let those Zen3+cache go on AM4 your theory falls appart.
We do NOT know. If we did, we would 't talk so much about it lol.
IMO, Zen3+cache will still be AM4 though.