Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
lol good luck... i think you may find yourself in a better position to just sign up @ eVGA queues for a RTX, unless your after a 6000 series XT.

I have been in that queue since December and I believe it's extremely slow. Best buy is another one to watch out for they usually used to do drops every 2-3 weeks on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Unfortunately for me the add to cart buttons glitched out after it was my turn in the queue last Saturday so I wasted a good 3 hours trying to get any 3080/3090. But they did drop cards for those three hours so there's that.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I have been in that queue since December and I believe it's extremely slow. Best buy is another one to watch out for they usually used to do drops every 2-3 weeks on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Unfortunately for me the add to cart buttons glitched out after it was my turn in the queue last Saturday so I wasted a good 3 hours trying to get any 3080/3090. But they did drop cards for those three hours so there's that.

I am still mystefied as to why Best Buy cannot do a queue for Reward Zone members / verified customers.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I am still chasing after the golden goose aka.. 5900X. :T

I gave up on just adding the 5900x to my cart and checking out within a couple of days of launch. Going from website to website adding to cart, waiting for the website to crash or item to be out of stock before I could check out wasn't for me.

I devised an alternative plan which worked out for me in the end.

I bought a RTX 3070 from BestBuy at MSRP around launch which I had no intentions of using. I offered it up as trade bait for a 5900x on OfferUP and got not bites, but somebody offered to purchase it. I then searched OfferUP for a 5900x and found one that was just 2 miles from my house. I sold the RTX 3070 for what he offered and then offered the seller of the 5900x what I got for the RTX 3070 and he accepted. I think in the end I wound up paying around $20 over MSRP for the 5900x. The scalper got the flippers profit, but I've been enjoying my 5900x for months now.

The above isn't for everybody, but was a acceptable solution for me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I am still mystefied as to why Best Buy cannot do a queue for Reward Zone members / verified customers.
Their Dev team or website is probably using older tech which might take too long to implement a proper working solution rather than a random queue for everyone. Which they probably use something like playstation uses for the queue which is some third party site to manage traffic.

But I agree since I've been an elite member or whatever for some time now.

Not to mention that even if you happen to add the item to cart successfully, it's not really reserved for you at all. One time I waited 20 minutes before I got their Verification code to allow me to go to the "place order screen". By the time I got it, website said it was invalid or the item is out of stock. OR what I've also seen happen is I get to the final step and I'm told, "sorry your local store can't be picked up from, select another". So basically no store has it so you can't complete the order.

It still relies a lot on luck and speed, pray that you don't get a glitched add to cart button.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Their Dev team or website is probably using older tech which might take too long to implement a proper working solution rather than a random queue for everyone. Which they probably use something like playstation uses for the queue which is some third party site to manage traffic.

But I agree since I've been an elite member or whatever for some time now.

Not to mention that even if you happen to add the item to cart successfully, it's not really reserved for you at all. One time I waited 20 minutes before I got their Verification code to allow me to go to the "place order screen". By the time I got it, website said it was invalid or the item is out of stock. OR what I've also seen happen is I get to the final step and I'm told, "sorry your local store can't be picked up from, select another". So basically no store has it so you can't complete the order.

It still relies a lot on luck and speed, pray that you don't get a glitched add to cart button.

BestBuy's system is horrible when it comes to the latest tech stuff. I've experienced what you've described. I think the only real chance is to just happen to be on the site looking around when the product 1st goes live to buy. Even then like you said you'll need to pray to the PC gaming gods that you'll be successful in the end.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Microcenter in Sharonville, OH (outside of Cincy) got a large shipment of 5950x CPUs. They had 25+ in stock this morning and I drove 2 hours and got one. They appear to still have 22 in stock so if you’re within a couple hour drive, it might be worth it.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Isn't that MSRP?

Oops! Not sure why I was thinking $749.99 was the MSRP....Maybe 5800x and 5900x's pricing?

On another note I'm not sure what's up with Microcenter these days. You can reserve the new Intel cpu's for instore pickup, but still to this day can't reserve any of AMD's newest offerings.

samboy

Aug 17, 2002
Sharonville Microcenter also had a drop of 25+ 5950x's a few days back. They even had stock for 3-4 days until being sold out again.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I'm seeing a $30 price drop on the 5800X here in Canada.

Was $639 now $609 and plenty of stock like 200 of these across multiple store locations.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Wow, local MC increased prices on 5600x to $370 today. 5800x is still $430 though.

I just bought a 5800x from Best Buy yesterday. Was a bit of a pain because I missed the shipping window yesterday by minutes because of the "click the button and wait for it to turn yellow" game they play, but free shipping trumps the $22 + 1.5 hour round trip opportunity costs. Not to mention I would find something else I needed in there or feel 100% compelled to get a motherboard because discount.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Makaveli

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Wow, local MC increased prices on 5600x to $370 today. 5800x is still $430 though.

I just bought a 5800x from Best Buy yesterday. Was a bit of a pain because I missed the shipping window yesterday by minutes because of the "click the button and wait for it to turn yellow" game they play, but free shipping trumps the $22 + 1.5 hour round trip opportunity costs. Not to mention I would find something else I needed in there or feel 100% compelled to get a motherboard because discount.
They've been turning up the price almost daily, even though they have tons in stock. Im guessing they got told no more new stock for two months or something and they're raising prices instead of letting stock sell out? Still I'd assume microcenter wouldn't be the only vendor pricing above MSRP. Something fishy going on around here

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Still I'd assume microcenter wouldn't be the only vendor pricing above MSRP. Something fishy going on around here
I think that Intel was quoted as mentioning a "substrate shortage" on one of the rumor / news sites. If this is true, then it's probably somewhat industry-wide, and probably affects AMD as well.

Prices may go UP in the mid-term, on these already hard-to-get AMD CPUs.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Nice to see the 5950x showing up now more regularly, lots of 5600x and 5800x in stock as well, just missing easily accessed volume on the 5900x now

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They've been turning up the price almost daily, even though they have tons in stock. Im guessing they got told no more new stock for two months or something and they're raising prices instead of letting stock sell out? Still I'd assume microcenter wouldn't be the only vendor pricing above MSRP. Something fishy going on around here
Yes I've seen them do this even for the 10 gen and 9th gen chips as well. The sold out 9900k went from $250 to $369 now.

I've been checking daily for weeks and noticed their cpu prices creep up.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
FML. The tech hoarder in me does not need news like this.
I was simply trying to swap from an 8700k to a 9900k for a reasonable price to scratch an upgrade itch. Mind you Microcenter still is sold out on the 9900k but raised price to $369.

Everyone on ebay wants to sell you the same chip open box or used for $350 or more.

I was expecting the older series chips to decrease a bit in price. Seems like either they are being weird or are prefacing a supply shortage.

I don't expect old gen chips to be sold for much longer either so it would seem they want to take advantage of that and make the most money they can?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I was simply trying to swap from an 8700k to a 9900k for a reasonable price to scratch an upgrade itch. Mind you Microcenter still is sold out on the 9900k but raised price to $369.

Everyone on ebay wants to sell you the same chip open box or used for $350 or more.

I was expecting the older series chips to decrease a bit in price. Seems like either they are being weird or are prefacing a supply shortage.

I don't expect old gen chips to be sold for much longer either so it would seem they want to take advantage of that and make the most money they can?

Well, they did hit $250 for what, a day when they finally hit the "Clear out last gen socket" button. I scored one for $300 with board discount a while back. I think $300 for top tier Intel chip for a socket is about where they stop. Heck the 8700k brings $230 even now on eBay.

If you do ever find a chip and want to move your 8700k, remember me. My son has a e8500 but I always wanted a 8700k ;)

Hans de Vries

May 2, 2008
www.chip-architect.com
Very happy as the waiting is over :)

After a delay of Biblical proportions ( Ordered one week before Christ's birthday, Christmas, and received it one week after his dying day, Easter)

Still, I am very happy with the builder ReduxGaming and certainly also because I still got it for the old price of € 3099,- incl 21% VAT. It's hard enough to get even the two main components (Ryzen R9 5950X and the Geforce 3080 RTX) for that price.

20210414_235640.png

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well, they did hit $250 for what, a day when they finally hit the "Clear out last gen socket" button. I scored one for $300 with board discount a while back. I think $300 for top tier Intel chip for a socket is about where they stop. Heck the 8700k brings $230 even now on eBay.

If you do ever find a chip and want to move your 8700k, remember me. My son has a e8500 but I always wanted a 8700k ;)
I'm continuously looking for a deal on ebay. I think I'm just sour I missed out on the $250 deal and now don't want to pay over that or $300.

I need to update my 1080ti more than I need to change processors but I will definitely let you know if find something.

I'm surprised some Microcenters have ryzen 5900 cpu's. Mine hasn't seen any in months.

Last time I stopped by, there were 20 people camped out for the next morning in hopes of getting a gpu. Later I learned they only received about 3 3080 cards. I'll never do such a thing.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Anddddd now my local microcenter has taken the 5600x from $369 down to $289, maybe the earlier price jumps were in error lol? Still seems fishy, but I think its more likely microcenter is off their game than anything changing on the supply side