Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Microcenter in CA is showing 25+ 5950's in stock currently. They're also showing the same for the 5600x and 5800x, but zippo on the 5900x's.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I received and installed my 5600x today.

I have a techbot on discord, and it has been notifying all day about 5600 and 5800. Like 17 times today. Maybe the scalpers are done.

Reactions: lightmanek

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Is there a reason NOT to direct buy from AMD? I mean why even bother with retailers?

If you are looking for an AMD CPU, then buying direct from them seems to be the easiest. Unfortunately, they haven't ever restocked their video cards on their site since the initial launch day that I am aware of. I've been using stock trackers like Octo plugin, NowInStock via telegram,
several youtube live trackers like this one, and a few discord trackers. None of them have ever shown the GPUs ever coming back in stock from AMD direct. Prefer to buy that way as they seem easiest to me like I said. I did get a 6800 from them on launch day though for my wife's computer.

The 3090 I bought I got locally from someone selling it for an actual deal somehow. I have several people asking me to help them get some video card upgrades and I literally seem unable to do so from any retailer at this point. I can buy CPUs, Xboxes, and PS5's every time those drop for the past few months but no GPUs. Unfortunately there isn't many retailers listing or getting a steady supply of GPUs either. Its Amazon, Bestbuy,. and Newegg for the most part. Amazon has zero bot protection so unless you are using a bot then you aren't getting one from there. Newegg has their shuffle thing and I haven't been lucky there. Bestbuy has the regional location drop buys, but again I haven't been able to buy any GPU from them yet. Consoles from Bestbuy I can get, just not GPUs. As for alternatives, I've been in the EVGA notify queue list for months now without a single notification response. I also don't live near a microcenter anymore. I did "try" to camp out a microcenter over the holidays when I was visiting family members for Xmas. I basically got there at 2am and was like 8th in line I think. Problem was, 30 minutes before they opened the other 7 people let all their buddies "cut" in line with them. So I went from 8th to like 50th. Obviously I didn't get anything. It seemed to be what they do every day as they were doing this daily to resell cards and CPUs.

So for CPUs, basically AMD direct has been the best bet so far at least. I've been able to buy 5800x, 5600x, and 5950x from them so far easily enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and cytg111

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I received and installed my 5600x today.

I have a techbot on discord, and it has been notifying all day about 5600 and 5800. Like 17 times today. Maybe the scalpers are done.

For those two CPUs they've mostly been done for awhile now. There has been a lot of them on the market and the demand for them has slacked. Scalping for other products is still going a strong as ever though.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
For those two CPUs they've mostly been done for awhile now. There has been a lot of them on the market and the demand for them has slacked. Scalping for other products is still going a strong as ever though.
Yea, I am gonna need a 6800 or 3080 to be 'available' as well before pulling any kind of trigger. Here is hoping for sooner rather than later.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I got my tracking info today! I should have it Thursday.

Mine ended up coming on Wednesday, a couple days late, probably due to residual problems with weather issues. Not a bit deal as I wasn't planning on putting the chip in until this weekend when I have more time to fiddle with it. I did get it in though.

Side note, AMD direct had another round of drops today. Could have grabbed a 5950x or 5900x as I had them both in the cart and was like "nah" don't need them. For a brief second the 6800 had an add to cart button enabled, but I couldn't add it. The 6900xt hard the add to cart button on for like 10 minutes but it didn't do anything at all. No one on any of the stock checking forums and discords are saying they were able to buy a card from AMD direct today that I've seen. Guessing it was a random bug blip enabling them.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Mine ended up coming on Wednesday, a couple days late, probably due to residual problems with weather issues. Not a bit deal as I wasn't planning on putting the chip in until this weekend when I have more time to fiddle with it. I did get it in though.

Side note, AMD direct had another round of drops today. Could have grabbed a 5950x or 5900x as I had them both in the cart and was like "nah" don't need them. For a brief second the 6800 had an add to cart button enabled, but I couldn't add it. The 6900xt hard the add to cart button on for like 10 minutes but it didn't do anything at all. No one on any of the stock checking forums and discords are saying they were able to buy a card from AMD direct today that I've seen. Guessing it was a random bug blip enabling them.
Mine came Tuesday evening! I put my system together yesterday, and I'm using it now. I usually wait a week before overclocking it. AMD direct drops something every Thursday. I've been trying since the end of November to get a 5950x, and gave up when I got the 5900x.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I grabbed a 5800x over the weekend, doesn't seem too hard to find at msrp now. I was going to wait to grab a 5900x (I still can't find any in stock) but not sure there's really any point for me since I mostly just game on my PC. I'm planning on replacing my 2700x on my x370 board so either way I'm sure it'll be a nice boost.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
I grabbed a 5800x over the weekend, doesn't seem too hard to find at msrp now. I was going to wait to grab a 5900x (I still can't find any in stock) but not sure there's really any point for me since I mostly just game on my PC. I'm planning on replacing my 2700x on my x370 board so either way I'm sure it'll be a nice boost.

Curious - what do you have to do to x370 to make it run the 5800X? I thought it is officially not supported?

I have Asrock x370 Taichi running Ryzen 1700. the latest bios support I see is for 3000 Ryzen generation, nothing beyond it.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Curious - what do you have to do to x370 to make it run the 5800X? I thought it is officially not supported?

I have Asrock x370 Taichi running Ryzen 1700. the latest bios support I see is for 3000 Ryzen generation, nothing beyond it.

Basically just have to check the mobo maker to see if they are releasing a bios for them. Unless you want to try flashing the X470 bios onto your X370 as reported in the link above.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

My mistake I have a X470 board, dunno why I thought it was a x370. Scared myself for a minute there thought I was going to need a new mobo haha.

Edit: Anyways has anyone updated a x470 board for a 5000 series cpu? There is a beta BIOS for my mobo to support it, am I supposed to flash it with my old cpu and then install? I've seen some motherboards let you flash a BIOS without a cpu installed, is that the preferred method? Not sure if mine supports that but seems like it would be the best way to me.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
My mistake I have a X470 board, dunno why I thought it was a x370. Scared myself for a minute there thought I was going to need a new mobo haha.

Edit: Anyways has anyone updated a x470 board for a 5000 series cpu? There is a beta BIOS for my mobo to support it, am I supposed to flash it with my old cpu and then install? I've seen some motherboards let you flash a BIOS without a cpu installed, is that the preferred method? Not sure if mine supports that but seems like it would be the best way to me.
You can do it with your old cpu if your board doesn't have the USB Bios flashback feature.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Oh wow, nice. No markup on newegg? Get your chip quick if you want one!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Oh wow, nice. No markup on newegg? Get your chip quick if you want one!
It's mostly been staying in stock at multiple retailers this week.

Newegg even dropped the $10 shipping charge they had been charging on the CPU when it was selling out almost instantly.

Now only the 5900X and 5950X are the two CPUs that are hard to come by at the moment.