Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

STERKOFF

Jul 8, 2019
So what is the current guestimate for when one could hope to find 5900x in stock at main stream retailers? March, April, May or later? Just curious for those who watch this closely.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So what is the current guestimate for when one could hope to find 5900x in stock at main stream retailers? March, April, May or later? Just curious for those who watch this closely.

My anecdotal report. The only vendor whose stock I monitor regularly is Microcenter in PA. 5950X is never in stock. 5900X will come into stock and be available for 1 or 2 days. 5800X and 5700X when they come in might hang around for 3 or 4 days. I can never tell when they come in I just have to check on a daily basis.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Whenever people stop buying stock almost instantly. AMD could probably increase supply by 2x and still sell out. They're just that popular.

Reactions: lightmanek

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Whenever people stop buying stock almost instantly. AMD could probably increase supply by 2x and still sell out. They're just that popular.

Would love to know how many chiplets per wafer? How many wafers per day?
Are the fabs running 24/7? It's like they are producing gold.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Color me burble. A few beers in...

Now all the "Beer keys" are sold out. We are doomed...

I have one on my last keyboard, but it is several years old and would take some additional alcohol swabs to clean up...

Good thing some newer thermal pastes are available!

• Haha
Reactions: lobz

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Would love to know how many chiplets per wafer? How many wafers per day?
Are the fabs running 24/7? It's like they are producing gold.

Based on Zen 3 CCD reported die size of 11.27mm x 7.43mm, the gross die per wafer is about 740. This is gross die, before die yield.

TSMC reported producing 12 million wafers in 2019. Of course TSMC has many process technologies older than 7nm still in production. Only a fraction of the total would be available for 7nm process. The exact current production capacity is likely a secret that TSMC doesn't disclose. (https://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/manufacturing/fab_capacity)

Yes, all silicon fabs run 24/7/365, even when demand is not so high. Many fab processes cannot just be stopped and started again frequently, for technical reasons. Some single process steps can run for as long as 8-24 hours and cannot be interrupted.

Yes, in fact a finished silicon wafer is worth well more than its weight in gold.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Is it just here, or is the availability of 5900X and 5950X worse now than it was the last year?

5800X is available long term (or continuously) from multiple retailers.
5600X has very limited availability.

BTW an information from a large retailer that they got 25 pcs of 5950X in November and NOTHING SINCE THEN quite surprised me.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
I bought 5600X two days ago with next day shipping. In UK there are at least 3 stores with stock in hand and one of them sells them cheaper than launch price ;)
5950X is a bit more tricky as there is no stock I know of, with few 5900X coming here and there.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Going by the reports, late spring / early summer seems like the time we can get CPU's without playing the stock alert game.

Until MicroCenter and BestBuy have an add to cart and pickup same day, I think the CPU chase is pointless.

PC gaming went mainstream in the last few years, kinda messed up the market for the old school people :(

ilal2ielli

Dec 4, 2004
AMD.com has the 5600x and 5800x's currently in stock as of this posting.

Microcenter has 5900x and 5950x's showing available at some of the stores....Store in CA is showing 25+

I'll find out how true this is later, going after work to pick up a Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero that showed in stock. Was able to reserve one for pickup, so if there'es still any 5900x's when I get there, I'll be picking one up. Been watching the stock all morning, but they've only been open a little over an hour, but stock hasn't dropped below 25+ yet...

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'll find out how true this is later, going after work to pick up a Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero that showed in stock. Was able to reserve one for pickup, so if there'es still any 5900x's when I get there, I'll be picking one up. Been watching the stock all morning, but they've only been open a little over an hour, but stock hasn't dropped below 25+ yet...

Woah! 5 here in MN, with 25+ 5600x's in stock! Maybe we're finally getting there. Like others have said, when I can order for online pickup I will consider this "real" but this is a really promising sign.

Looking forward to shuffling my 3600 to my work PC and this 2700x out into the world where it can be loved and appreciated ;)

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Like others have said, when I can order for online pickup I will consider this "real" but this is a really promising sign.

With Covid it's kind of strange that Microcenter killed that option with all the latest launches. It's much safer to bypass the crowd and just pick up what your after. You can add stuff to the online order easily so I don't think it's really a we want to sell you more stuff thing.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Guess I'm lucky to have Microcenter near me. A few days ago they've had large shipments of 5900x and 5950x, they got 25+ of each, they're gone now, but it took about 2 days to sell out. 5600x and even 5800x are now consistently in stock.

I get that this is Microcenter is not newegg/amazon, but to me this shows that supply is slowly improving. They actually got meaningful amount of 5900x/5950x and 5600x/5800x are staying in stock. I expect things are going to get better in the upcoming weeks/months.

I think Videocard availability will continue to be a big issue for a long time to come though.

Reactions: Tlh97

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Welp, a little tip...DO NOT buy a CPU from ebay. I ordered a 5600x from a seller (who promised returns) and I have been scammed. It never showed up. Currently disputing the item.
Both buyers and sellers get scammed on eBay and other places every day. CYA at all times, pics, signature, insurance etc etc.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
With Covid it's kind of strange that Microcenter killed that option with all the latest launches. It's much safer to bypass the crowd and just pick up what your after. You can add stuff to the online order easily so I don't think it's really a we want to sell you more stuff thing.

I think it's done because all the hot parts just get reserved immediately but those people really aren't required to buy them as it's just a hold, you don't pay until you check out in store.

So I think it's just because supply and demand is so lopsided. I can go in there and reserve Ryzen 2 or any Intel setups that I might want...

At least now you have $1 hold on your card for the order. For years before that it was basically on your honor - COVID killed that.