Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You never know.
Remember how AMD initially said B450 boards won't get the BIOS update required to work with the 5xxx CPU series? And then reversed their decision?

It could just be a no as in unknown at this time to be fair. I don't think it's officially been clarified if the current 5xxx series are the end of the line. If they are it's not like they're lacking in performance anyways.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Anyone know if the next zen 4 will be compatible with am4? If there is an upgrade path, I can settle for whatever I can get first, if there is no upgrade path, might as well wait for the 5950x now.

Doubtful, but can't be 100% sure. I would think that if the market keeps staying muddy like it is, distribution issues, demand issues, etc, it would probably be easier to drop a Zen 4 chip that works in AM4 sockets because there's a lot less fuss that depends on everyone else making a motherboard and writing BIOS instruction sets for them. But if things normalize or at least get a bit better, maybe it's worth the added risk and push to release a new socket type drop Zen 4 along with AM5 at the same time for a total ecosystem change. I think most people would like to see it blend over either way.

Very best,

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Doubtful, but can't be 100% sure. I would think that if the market keeps staying muddy like it is, distribution issues, demand issues, etc, it would probably be easier to drop a Zen 4 chip that works in AM4 sockets because there's a lot less fuss that depends on everyone else making a motherboard and writing BIOS instruction sets for them. But if things normalize or at least get a bit better, maybe it's worth the added risk and push to release a new socket type drop Zen 4 along with AM5 at the same time for a total ecosystem change. I think most people would like to see it blend over either way.

Very best,
I'm fairly sure that the motherboard makers would love to sell a new motherboard for each CPU sold.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
At least it's MSRP with a waiting line, and not scalping prices at sub-second intervals.

Very best,

Anyone order from B&H before? I ordered a video card that was listed as IN STOCK, expected delivery Nov. 28th on Nov. 24th,. They sent an email and apologizing that it was out of stock the next day, expected delivery Dec. 15th. They notified me last week that it will now be in stock at the end of February. I still haven't cancelled, since no one else has it.

Later I noticed they charged me the day I ordered it. Sadly I cancelled an order at Amazon that was supposed to ship Dec. 7th, because B&H claimed it was going to be delivered the 28th of November and in stock. Not a great first order experience.

I thought of ordering a 5600X a couple of times, but now I don't know if they can be trusted when they say in stock.

loafbred

May 7, 2000
Anyone order from B&H before? I ordered a video card that was listed as IN STOCK, expected delivery Nov. 28th on Nov. 24th,. They sent an email and apologizing that it was out of stock the next day, expected delivery Dec. 15th. They notified me last week that it will now be in stock at the end of February. I still haven't cancelled, since no one else has it.

Later I noticed they charged me the day I ordered it. Sadly I cancelled an order at Amazon that was supposed to ship Dec. 7th, because B&H claimed it was going to be delivered the 28th of November and in stock. Not a great first order experience.

I thought of ordering a 5600X a couple of times, but now I don't know if they can be trusted when they say in stock.
I've bought a lot from them over several years, and never had a problem. These are strange times is all I can say.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008

I've ordered all kinds of camera and lighting equipment from B&H over the years, always has been bullet proof. But, this is a special year and these goods are coming from Asia. Most of it is sitting on a boat at harbor and not being unloaded due to COVID labor shortage, etc. It's hard to use anyone's credibility right now since the transfer from the source to our soil is where the problem is.

Very best,

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Do we have any idea of the number of 5xxx parts that are being produced on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis? It would be interesting to know production numbers because one thing we do know if AMD is selling every one of them (and them some).

I am curious to know if it's possible supply will catch up with demand before Rocket Lake launches in approximately 2 months.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I was able to get one from Memory Express yesterday. I put in a pre-order a few weeks ago, never expecting that I'd hear from them (I just gave my email address). They no longer accept pre-orders, but they called me Saturday and held it for 2 days. Wasn't marked up either (for Canada anyways). The irony is that I couldn't get a 3600 for the life of me, but I got this one.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
They might announce something at CES on Tuesday, but I'm not expecting wide availability until the supply of existing chips improves. Unless AMD has a lot of chiplets that can't meet any existing bins there's no reason for them to devote chiplets to yet another product category.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
According to the interview

AMD was concentrating a lot on making CPUs for notebooks in the end of the year (beside supplying APUs for gaming consoles and delivering products to OEM partners).

In the interview, AMD CEO also said: There will be tightness in the first half of the year, but alongside consumers we also ship to OEM partners. There is some real-time prioritization between end-user and OEM, but we understand that consumers want more and it’s very high on our priority list to meet this high demand.

So the grind will probably go on for a while.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
According to the interview

AMD was concentrating a lot on making CPUs for notebooks in the end of the year (beside supplying APUs for gaming consoles and delivering products to OEM partners).

In the interview, AMD CEO also said: There will be tightness in the first half of the year, but alongside consumers we also ship to OEM partners. There is some real-time prioritization between end-user and OEM, but we understand that consumers want more and it’s very high on our priority list to meet this high demand.

So the grind will probably go on for a while.

OEMs aren't really using Vermeer right now... it's probally going to be a lot easier to get a Cezanne gaming laptop than it is a Vermeer OEM desktop. Either AMD didn't make that many chiplets or (most likely) they are all being used in Milan.