Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman
Oct 19, 2007
Went to the local Microcenter this morning (Cambridge, MA). Got there at about 8:30am, store opens at 9.

Tried again today - got there 30min before opening. Same deal - they got some 5600x and 5800x. No Ryzen 9's. They sold through all the 5600x's before I got inside, and the 5800x's shortly after. It's crazy how high the demand is right now. There was a group of guys in the BYOPC being told the B550 board they selected would almost certainly need to be flashed in order to recognize their new 5800x CPU. They had lots of questions about what that meant, but they were buying one. :) If there's one thing 2020 may have done that's positive, it's probably adding a TON of new PC enthusiasts.

One of the store employees told me don't bother trying for anything new on the weekend, it's insanity when they open and they never get a truck.

They got a handful of 3080's last night. Sold to the folks who were outside in tents all night. (It was below freezing last night, frost on the car this morning!)

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I just managed to score a 5600x off of Amazon using hotstock.io.

I didn't pay for the premium version, so no notifications, but I kept the page up on a second monitor for the past week or so and watched the button to see when it switched to "In Stock"

One tip, it seems like Amazon releases in batches in fairly quick succession. I missed the first one today, but was able to get in on the second one about 10 minutes later.

Amazon shows "Arriving Feb 20". Lets hope that gets bumped up a bit.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Yea, I was staring at the 5600x on Amazon in stock. I added to cart. But then I just closed it. Even at $299, I don't care to wait to post-February, 3+ months likely. I'll be waiting that long for a 5900x anyways, so might as well wait. So someone else can have that 5600x I didn't buy.

I was alerted by that YouTube tracker channel; they posted a link. It does work if anyone is desperate.

Very best,

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Some 5900x and 5950 dropped on Newegg. They are gone. For those that dont know check Newegg twitter. They have been announcing what they are dropping like 1 minute before they drop items. Drops have been 7pm EST. They have been combo items.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
That sucks! He's adjusted his pricing to that of scalpers in your local market? He's the scalper king?

Good on them. Why should a bunch of scalpers soak up all the extra profit when the retailer can have it instead?

No one who buys one of those CPUs is going to flip it, so 100% go to actual customers who will use it. There won't be a massive line that they need to get in hours or days in advance either. Sounds like a much better experience.

I don't get why people get so hung up about this and act like a situation where the end customers pay the same price, only to a scalper, is somehow preferable to a retailer selling at anything but MSRP.

It would be better still if AMD auctioned them all directly and took the excess profit themselves. I'm fairly sure that with an extra $400 per 5950X they could buy production capacity off of someone else who has wafers at TSMC and produce more CPUs which is the only thing that will help satisfy the demand for these parts.

Reactions: Tlh97

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Yea, I was staring at the 5600x on Amazon in stock. I added to cart. But then I just closed it. Even at $299, I don't care to wait to post-February, 3+ months likely. I'll be waiting that long for a 5900x anyways, so might as well wait. So someone else can have that 5600x I didn't buy.

I was alerted by that YouTube tracker channel; they posted a link. It does work if anyone is desperate.

Very best,
I think mine for bumped up a month and a half from original estimated date.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
I think mine for bumped up a month and a half from original estimated date.

Yea, I'm just gonna sit this out until the market settles and stock is more reliable. I don't care for the anxiety of hunting for a CPU like this. It's a first world problem and just supports the concept of scalping and all that. I'll just focus elsewhere for the time being and slum it on a lesser chip until after March or more.

Very best,

Reactions: Tlh97 and Martimus

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yea, I'm just gonna sit this out until the market settles and stock is more reliable. I don't care for the anxiety of hunting for a CPU like this. It's a first world problem and just supports the concept of scalping and all that. I'll just focus elsewhere for the time being and slum it on a lesser chip until after March or more.

Very best,

By then the rumors of Warhol will be heating up, I'm sure.

Reactions: Tlh97 and MalVeauX

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
AMD will probably have the best performing quarter in a long time. Too bad they are so much capacity limited.
I wonder what will be the avilability of Cezzane and Luciene based laptops, I guess not until April we will get a chance of actually getting one.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
For sure. Used 5600/5800's will be dirt cheap as soon as the 5900 supply levels off.

Or at least available for a hair under MSRP. I don't think the stock is going to just replenis and this be over in just a matter of weeks. I'm happy to pay MSRP for the 5900x right now. I don't really want anything less at this point. I almost settled on less. But I realize I would end up just buying a 5900x later on anyways, and I'd rather not go through the hassle of buying something, selling, buying, etc just to end up in the same place. Also, seeing a lot of stuff regarding the motherboards, maybe its good to have time for them to release better BIOS flash.

Very best,

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Bought an Athlon 3000G ($50) to live on, while suffering the long wait for a 5900X.

I bought the Athlon 3000G on December 3rd on Amazon. Every day it showed a new in-stock date, creeping into December then January. I got in just before that mess. It shipped today finally, the 14th, 11 days (almost two weeks really) after I bought it and will be here in another 2 days. Sigh. And that's for a nothing-$50-APU. The rest of my AM4 build has been just sitting there, in a box, waiting for a CPU with nothing else to do without one. Funny how RAM and NAND and all is great priced and available that day. But CPU? Pffffft.

I'm guessing it'll be June by the time I see a 5900X in stock for MSRP somewhere with a return policy.

Very best,

knght990

Jun 3, 2006
Microcenters in the NY area got 5800x's. This morning Brooklyn had 6 remaining and NJ had about 40 (they were closed for covid cleaning over the weekend).

Their website is kinda flakey, "site can't be reached" message, all the purchase bots effectively doing a DOS attack maybe?

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
There's still 10+ 5800X's sitting in my local parts store, but the 5600X and 5900X are just nowhere to be found. Yields must just be really good and they want to sell full chiplets at $449 and not partial ones at $299 or $550/2.