Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Supply and demand will correct itself and a price will be found. I'd much rather money go to a tech company than Amazon or a bunch of scalpers.
TBH I'd rather be scalped by a person than Jeff Bezos.

Just out of curiosity whats the most you all would spend over retail to get a 5900x?
CDW has them on preorder for about $585 when you make an account. I have on there in case it takes awhile to find one right at MSRP.

This is combined supply & interest. There were insanely more 5600x available at launch, and also significantly more 5800x sold, than 5900x and 5950x combined. At least based on verified owner review counts. For example, Newegg reviews so far in the 2 weeks since launch:

130 x 5600x
50 x 5800x
13 x 5900x
7 x 5950x

It makes no sense why there would be less 5900x than 5800x The 5900x uses salvaged dies where the 5800x needs a full die. Given it is supply limited you'd expect the 5950x and 5900x to be the most common unless they are having a very hard time reaching the very slightly higher speed binning. Given the reviews that doesn't seem likely.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
If they announced the launch to january or february or whatever date would allow for sizeable steady supplies, the amount of frustrated customers would be MUCH LOWER.

This sort of launch is perhaps even worse than the real paper launch. You let some people have some, then you supply nothing and tell nothing. People hyped up and eager to buy, frustrated that they cannot find it.

If they announced the launch to jan/feb 21, a lot of people would be disappointed, but the total level of bad emotions/frustration would be much much lower.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
If they announced the launch to january or february or whatever date would allow for sizeable steady supplies, the amount of frustrated customers would be MUCH LOWER.

This sort of launch is perhaps even worse than the real paper launch. You let some people have some, then you supply nothing and tell nothing. People hyped up and eager to buy, frustrated that they cannot find it.

If they announced the launch to jan/feb 21, a lot of people would be disappointed, but the total level of bad emotions/frustration would be much much lower.
Nah, they are definitely shipping decent quantities already. Especially of the 5600X and 5800X. Delaying a launch until after the holiday season is pretty much a non-starter for anyone using a modicum of business sense.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Yep. Between this and the GPU launches, I'm pretty fed up. I have Christmas week off and was hoping I could build a new system then but that isn't happening even if I decide to stick with my 1080 Ti for now. It sucks all the way around, but I'm not playing the F5 mashing game and I'm not paying a scalper (though I would pay a modest finder fee if someone grabbed one locally and shipped to me).

Reactions: Elfear

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I believe that resellers do not write reviews... Judging sold quantity from the number of reviews is highly unreliable IMO.

I don't know. I think it would be pretty funny if you bought a product you were going to flip to give it a 5 star review and brag about how awesome the product is because you can flip it for way more than most other stuff. Hell, even if you were a legitimate buyer the amount of butthurt generated from one simple post would be off the scales. It's like the meme reviews of the three wolf shirts on Amazon, only evil.

Yep. Between this and the GPU launches, I'm pretty fed up. I have Christmas week off and was hoping I could build a new system then but that isn't happening even if I decide to stick with my 1080 Ti for now. It sucks all the way around, but I'm not playing the F5 mashing game and I'm not paying a scalper (though I would pay a modest finder fee if someone grabbed one locally and shipped to me).

I just resigned myself to waiting even though I also really wanted to get a new build in this year. On the bright side we'll have better drivers, etc. when we eventually do get our systems so there is some upside to waiting.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Got a 5600X at KC Microcenter yesterday around 11am. All 20 sold out within 2 hours. I was getting an oil change close to there, and picked up the 13th one they sold about an hour after stock showed up Online. Son's computer got the 3700X I was running. I used his 3600 with a motherboard I purchased along with the 5600X to do a long overdue upgrade on my file server, which was running a Xeon x3470.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
DrMrLordX, it appears that BOTH AMD and Nvidia really did fail to be near demand despite the claims of availability.

True, but . . .

Mindfactory had sold 2160 units of the 5600x just 2 days after launch, and that's in a smaller market than the U.S. The number of reviews on Newegg is most likely well under 10% of purchases. That 2160 is more than they've sold of the 10600k total since its release. Also, on Mindfactory, the 5600x had sold just over 2% of the total 3600 sales since it launched. That means the 5600x sold 2% of the 3600 total sales in 2 days versus the 16 months the 3600 has been on sale. Every SKU they launched has been coming in and out of stock at multiple retailers to varying degrees. You can't do all that with a paper launch.

Also, on launch day they showed 1170 5800x sales and 850 5600x sales. When I see people complain about a "paper launch" for Zen 3, this is all I hear.

. . . in the face of demand like that, how could they have known? Or at least how could AMD have known? Those sales rates are pretty crazy. It's like when Core2Quad came out. NewEgg was scalping the hell out of its own QX6700 supplies by raising the price using interest-based algorithms.

Just how much would you suggest they delay a launch to build a bigger backlog?

Not sure that delays were the solution here. Not sure what was the solution here. Other than "moar CPUz".

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
I have had my 5600X since launch week from Newegg. I don’t think I’ve ever written a review for any CPU/RAM/Mobo in 20 years.

Anyways, as long as people are buying from bots/scalpers/resellers they have no need to stop. Stock for the 5000-series CPUs have been popping in and out of stock everyday on Amazon and Newegg. Unfortunately they get bought up by bots lightning quick. Same with the Nvidia 3000-series GPUs. And you can expect the same for the AMD 6000-series GPUs, PS5 and XBOX series X.

Earlier this year bikes, roller skates, home fitness equipment and thousands of other items were in high demand (and still are). With the global pandemic everyone is trying to figure out how to stay busy at home.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
If there's a good side to all this, at least it's fun to get new CPU's again. It's not 2011-2016 where you got a mediocre update year after year and never any extra cores. I'll take an exciting if frustrating launch compared to a meh/who cares launch any day.
This is a large part of why there is a shortage of the latest generation. There has not been a lot to truly follow up on, but a lot of talk the past 10 years from any common consumer side.

Now there is decent coemption with Apple, Arm, AMD, and others... Being true "high tech" in the past 10 years.....

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
This is a large part of why there is a shortage of the latest generation. There has not been a lot to truly follow up on, but a lot of talk the past 10 years from any common consumer side.

Now there is decent coemption with Apple, Arm, AMD, and others... Being true "high tech" in the past 10 years.....

Good point. Didn't think too much about that.

That's a good way to look at it... At least there's something worth trying - and failing - to buy for once!

Earlier this year I really wanted a 3300x, but ended up with the 3600 instead...

Whatever did happen to that 3300X? May as well be a desktop Renoir it's so hard to get. Anyway I just figured I'd try to bring a bit of levity to some peoples frustrations about the current lack of supply. Or should I say, extremely strong demand?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Whatever did happen to that 3300X? May as well be a desktop Renoir it's so hard to get. Anyway I just figured I'd try to bring a bit of levity to some peoples frustrations about the current lack of supply. Or should I say, extremely strong demand?
Now that is a "paper" product from AMD.

My guess is demand for the Ryzen 3000 CPUs exceeded their wildest expectations with so many people working from home from Covid, that they diverted their production orders towards higher profit CPUs, basically leaving the Ryzen 5 3600 as the entry-level product in many major markets (like the U.S.).

The 3300X hasn't been available for so long now, and AMD has refused to give any kind of firm answer about its availability, so that's the way I see the situation.

Reactions: Tlh97

therealmongo

Jul 5, 2019
snip............As I mentioned, I don't care about downvotes. Opinions are opinions. There is nothing that makes one person's opinion more valid than anothers.
.........snip
Sorry to take this offtopic, but I am sorry, whats going on in this World we live in where each persons realty is the only thing that matters (actually it is in the space of ones individual mind, but in the context of social systems this aint how things work, lol).

Again, nothing to do with the subject at hand.

If you had left your comment as "Opinions are opinions" than i would 100% agree with you, but the second part, sorry, thats not right!

I am sure you didnt really means this

"There is nothing that makes one person's opinion more valid than anothers"

Huh, this is so wrong. People opinions are validated by other people or another entity, be it right or wrong. If you have an opinion that is dismissed by 95% percent of the population than your "opinion" is no longer "valid" its an outlier, as the word "validation" means that another entity is used as a baseline to assess what is the validity of something !

You have literally contradicted yourself in a single sentance, im am sure it was just a heat of the moment response.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well my 5600x arrived today. I'm pretty happy with that, less than 1/2 a business day and I have it. Yes, I know it isn't as popular as some of the others, but it is perfect for what I am looking for with it's 65W TDP which I know my HTPC case can handle quietly (since the current chip in it is 85W TDP). Now to figure out if I really do have to upgrade off Win 7 (since Win 10 removed the media center).

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
If there's a good side to all this, at least it's fun to get new CPU's again. It's not 2011-2016 where you got a mediocre update year after year and never any extra cores. I'll take an exciting if frustrating launch compared to a meh/who cares launch any day.

I agree! I'm loving 15-20% IPC gains swapping each Zen generation (1600AF to 3600 to 5600X), and they're all on the same socket too. I have two other AMD 450/550 chipset computers for my teenage sons, and it's nice to recycle the upgraded CPU downstream and sell off the slowest one each time as well. This year I went through the AMD CPUs listed previously, from an Intel 5820k@4.0Ghz, so the difference in performance is quite amazing. Looking forward to getting a 5900X when supply levels out, as the Scythe Fuma 2 cooler I have is just a bit of overkill for the 5600X. :)

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Well my 5600x arrived today. I'm pretty happy with that, less than 1/2 a business day and I have it. Yes, I know it isn't as popular as some of the others, but it is perfect for what I am looking for with it's 65W TDP which I know my HTPC case can handle quietly (since the current chip in it is 85W TDP). Now to figure out if I really do have to upgrade off Win 7 (since Win 10 removed the media center).

A bit off topic, but I totally replaced media center with Plex and haven't looked back. Plex is amazing in that you can stream your own content to your mobile devices and such. Look for a black friday deal on it. In previous years it's been sub $80 for a lifetime subscription, but it's definitely worth the regular $100 lifetime asking price.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scannall

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
A bit off topic, but I totally replaced media center with Plex and haven't looked back. Plex is amazing in that you can stream your own content to your mobile devices and such. Look for a black friday deal on it. In previous years it's been sub $80 for a lifetime subscription, but it's definitely worth the regular $100 lifetime asking price.

Same, but I am not paying for it. It's where all the videos/movies live.

I bought a Tablo Lite for Survivor and what little NFL Football I watch (SKOL Vikings! SKOL Vikings. SKOL... never mind - I really prefer the radio, the call guy for for the Vikings is amazing and the staff is really good too) after selling my Cable Card Silicon Dust tuner after stopping Cable TV. Cost less than what I was able to sell the tuner for and is "fine."

Looks like I am waiting until sometime next year when I can easily (safely) walk into MC and buy a 5600x or better with a board that will work with my 3600. That will replace my wife's 3570k setup. Mark your calendars for a FS/FT fire sale on 2012 tech :D

In the meantime, I have built/bought like 4 Intel based rigs given the pricing and I haven't built Intel since Zen was a thing. At least two of those would be AMD based if there was availability. Even the 3600 is hard to find online.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I’ve looked at plex in the past, but I am way to accustomed to the combination of MediaPortal for my main interface and SageTV for recordings. I happen to have a decent Hauppauge HD PVR, one that doesn’t suffer the overheating and power supply issues (still on the original power supply I got when I bought it mid 2008 (yes it is ancient, but still works better than anything else I have tried, including my more recent HD PVR2, which when it works, records over HDMI). It is hard to beat completely DRM free recordings of any channel I get. As much as I wanted cablecard to work, the added DRM and other hassles completely put me off.

Anyway back on topic, I am debating on a 5950x if I can find one for my main computer. I had been thinking I would be going with a threadripper, but after really thinking about it, I don’t know if it is really worth it anymore. Good news is that the Zen3 based threadripper will probably be “released” by the time I can find a 5950x, so I have plenty of time to make my decision.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
I've waited 2 years to upgrade :\

I have always built my own PCs since forever but I gave up trying to acquire the latest and greatest (5900x + 6800xt) and ordered from Falcon. Well at least ill have a pretty cool case :)

Well I hear their customer service is outstanding.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scannall