AMD Rumored to Have TSMC Produce BD CPUs

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
heh it's funny when a news article cites some junk site as an orifice for baseless speculation and then contradicts it in its own closing remarks. thanks for clicking.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
This rumor seems to have spread to quite a few sites, and I guess I did not realize that TSMC already produced a number of different fusion CPUs for AMD today. I wanted to be clear this is JUST a rumor, but definitely could be very interesting if any truth is here. I am not familiar with the source here, but maybe others might be?

I didn't see this posted here, so I thought to share the news and get some thoughts.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
It seems to be a plan for the future not the present

28nm Gatefirst HKMG SiGe from GloFo
28nm Gatelast HKMG from TSMC

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Does the processor say "diffused in Germany" or "diffused in Taiwan"? That will answer this question.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Considering AMD Dresden is now "Global Foundries", is this a vote of no-confidence in their own ability to manufacture there own CPU's?

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
I highly doubt AMD will stop manufacturing CPUs at GF, and if anything will probably start producing GPUs there.

In addition to the shared ownership, AMD is VIP at GF (for now, anyway). They have to wait in line behind NVDA and AAPL at TSMC.

Diversifying might not be a bad idea, though. Plus that allows them to play each foundry off of each other. If you aren't producing chips there, the threat of walking isn't very credible :D