AMD Roy Taylor "GK110 is not something which was designed to be a gfx"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
The Titan looks pretty good for the prosumer market, mainly just because of 6GB of ram. Might be very useful for Adobe products...

I don't see how nvidia can sell this without cutting into quadro or tesla sales.

Still, not a market AMD really needs to address, I don't think the $1000 video card market is high volume enough to really matter, this is just the tail end of nvidia's business market.
It's great for revenue however. In nvidia's case, they're marketing a design they've already sunk R&D into in another market (now consumer instead of HPC), which has an insane profit margin for them. AMD would actually have to design a competing product and then try to make money back on those sunk costs to be in the same position, which is very far away for them.
I found the constant reference to Ares II pathetic to be honest... Like others said, these are the kind of replies you would expect from Nvidia

I mean, sure Titan might not compete with anything AMD has in price/performance, but they specifically asked "Do you acknowledge Nvidia will have the fastest single gpu card? Yes/No?" and they still refused to answer, wow

Not sure how this is good PR in any way, makes them look like a bunch of idiots
The problem is AMD seems to hire high school drop-out equivalent marketing people. Honestly, given the facts, a middle-schooler could have come up with better responses.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Yeah, I was a little embarrassed for them when I read some of those responses. Can't be easy when ravenous cut throat journalists are chomping at the bit to get the juicy stuff.

Ibra

Oct 17, 2012
Wait, are you trying to say that nVidia doesnt rebrand? They rebrand cards every single year, just like AMD. Just go look up the GT620 for the most recent entry.

And who compete with Titan? One card will rule them all.

He's a severe fan who looks forward to AMD fan suicides according to him.
Needs a bit of help, methinks.

They get what they deserve. ;)

54 posts and every single one of those is loaded with NV fanboy propaganda or dissing AMD at any opportunity. What was the point of you joining our forum again? :colbert: They are plenty of other places for you to join like Semi-Accurate or Fudzilla if all you ever intend to post are comments related to AMD fanboys and taking jabs at them. Plenty of forum members disagree with each other here but they don't troll at every opportunity.

Same goes to you. 13000 post of AMD propaganda.

You get the award for best 5th grade insult of the week D:

Why? Because I explained why big baby can't buy Titan?

Stop your trolling or you career here will be short.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
He'd probably make a great politician.

OxsLtKd.jpg

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Wise? PR? I'm not seeing it!

To me, it looks like they got the people asking the questions off of their back for that immediate moment. People will then realize later how silly it all sounds to keep deflecting to Ares II and its market. What market?

Jedi Hand Wave,

"Titan, it's not the card you're looking for."

Oh well, what card am I looking for? ---->>>> *points* Ares II market

The really ironic thing is that the Ares II is probably the only card out there that's worse perf/$ than Titan. :D

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
And who compete with Titan?

Probably what AMD has been doing to compete with the monolith -- a multi-GPU sku!

However, nVidia offers a very polished and mature GTX 690 as well.

Will see how the market reacts to both in 2013 -- should be interesting.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
And who compete with Titan? One card will rule them all.

They get what they deserve. ;)

Same goes to you. 13000 post of AMD propaganda.

Why? Because I explained why big baby can't buy Titan?

FFS lad, those are extremely immature remarks...get a grip.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
This dude is hilarious.

QQ mode activated:

I have no job, no money, I get AMD cards from junkyard because my mom working in red light district for free.

AMD fanboys are vultures. You can't expect cheap Titans when competitor gives rebrands. :awe:

i have a brand new 7970 for £300 and ill get another soon for another £300.

I dont pay more for less power that is stupid economics.

Im not a fanboy either i just sold my 460 GTX SLI setup which for the cash i paid has been fantastic performance. before that i had a 4870X2 and then before that a 7800GTX and 7900 GTX.

Im pretty fair when it comes to manufacturers. But what i dont like is companies calling their cards "titan" when demi god cards are clearly better and cheaper such as either a 670 GTX SLI or 7970 CF.

They should call it the Nvidia TWAT because you really must be one before you think this is a good GPU purchase

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
OP:
Posting an entire article / interview like that is considered bad form. You should just post the link to the originating site with a synopsis of the article.

totally disagree. i found it very informative.

funny thing is that i was getting ready to pull the trigger on an 7970, but after seeing all that self-flatulance from AMD I'll go with Nvidia just on principle alone.

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
Stuff like this really pisses me off.

Nvidia are presenting a very strong single GPU solution in to the market and some gamers want that, after the 5970 I won't be going back to dual GPU solutions, it's just not a great gaming experience and it's not worth the effort to get it working "smoothly".

So I'm extremely interested in things like the single fast-as-hell GPUs that deliver huge performance, I want to know what AMDs answer to the titan will be.

They avoid the question, the caller then re-words it so they can't worm out of it, and they do anyway. And then they leave off with a comments which DOES NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION, saying it's not a threat to their business is not what was asked.

I'd have much more respect if they simply said, we don't know solid figures yet but it's possible the Titan will take the single GPU performance crown, we have no intention to respond with an equivalent product until late 2013 or 2014.

The answer they gave just makes me mad, I'm not a fanboy of either camp, and sure Nvidia do this as well, I'm so sick of it, just zero fucking respect. It's obvious they're squirming in their pants over possible competition, just be bloody honest for once.
you read my thoughts exactly

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
i have a brand new 7970 for £300 and ill get another soon for another £300.

I dont pay more for less power that is stupid economics.

Im not a fanboy either i just sold my 460 GTX SLI setup which for the cash i paid has been fantastic performance. before that i had a 4870X2 and then before that a 7800GTX and 7900 GTX.

Im pretty fair when it comes to manufacturers. But what i dont like is companies calling their cards "titan" when demi god cards are clearly better and cheaper such as either a 670 GTX SLI or 7970 CF.

They should call it the Nvidia TWAT because you really must be one before you think this is a good GPU purchase
for those of us who want kick@$$* compute performance AND good to very good gaming performance, the price differential between the 7970 and TITAN may be small enough to shift us to TITAN. I'm gonna wait for the anandtech review to decide.

*kick@$$ as defined to exclude QUADRO cards from consideration since their ultra-hyperinflated prices are just stupid and absurd.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
totally disagree. i found it very informative.

Did you even read what you "totally disagree" with? :\

You could find it just as informative by clicking through and giving the original author the courtesy of a page view.

Last edited:

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
One area that I was interested in was the Titan's use of OpenCl. In Tom's Hardware they said that the Titan was crashing when they tried Luxmark and Photoshop using OpenCl. It makes me wonder if they are messing around with the software drivers deliberatly making it unstable. The last card they muted the OpenCl ability in the hardware. Now the Titan is theoretically hardware able to do good OpenCl usage and it crashes. I really hope that I am wrong and I hope that with better drivers that it isn't unstable when using OpenCl and that they haven't deliberalty muted it indirectly via software drivers. Only time will tell. If they do make it stable then it would be a very good buy getting that card instead of the more expensive pro Telsa ones. I'm going to stick with my 7970 until either the Titan becomes stable for OpenCl, or when AMD release the next gen cards.

Last edited:

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
Did you even read what you "totally disagree" with? :\

You could find it just as informative by clicking through and giving the original author the courtesy of a page view.
I read every word of that post.
Having the content in this thread meant that a lot of other people did so as well. What's your deal :confused:

jimhsu

Mar 22, 2009
What's wrong with "We haven't seen final product yet to answer that question accurately, but based on the expected performance of Nvidia's next-gen product compared to anything else on the marketplace, the product appears to be a poor price/performance proposition".

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
What's wrong with "We haven't seen final product yet to answer that question accurately, but based on the expected performance of Nvidia's next-gen product compared to anything else on the marketplace, the product appears to be a poor price/performance proposition".

Ding ding, you are already better at PR than Roy is :)

Its a superb card and there is plenty of buyers in the 1000$ range. Just as they buy 1000$ CPUs. So any PR person should use any advantage rather than acting bitter. And the point that a 1000$ CPU or GPU doesnt give you great return for value. Then thats where you need to hit, even tho you got something worse yourself. Instead he felt into the ditch and mentioned the limited 1500$ Ares II just to complete the flop.

Last edited:

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
I do want to see what this can do on LN2 and Cascade for sure. But the next Gen AMD will kill it so at this price for a few months only worth of use hmmmmmm.

I am down for several but it does not sit well with me but to compete on the bot I must.

However you spin it, its expensive and the performance does not match the cost.

Just seen kingpins scores!!! He has overtaken several of my world records. So annoying as I don't even have one yet!!! But I am getting that Vantage single card back!!! End of!!!

and he does not even have big arms making it ten times worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can have several mate but i have to wait. Reviewers gain most marketing for the cards. As you can see on HWbot Kingpin has already taken my Vantage world record and others with the cards will be pushing me down the rankings!!!

In this instance I have no option but to buy the cards.

Yeah it is very good to be associated with the best scores. That is effectively my job. But we simply don't have the volumes of cards as yet where I can just get one like that. Hands in pockets time.

I just wish AMD wanted to unleash the fury to be honest and leave this in the land of pointless and needless expense.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18485454&page=98

It does seem as if he knows something but is not going to spill the beans.

Jovec

Feb 24, 2008
The AMD PR for this was mishandled. All they needed to do was compliment Nvidia for needing a $1000 GPU to beat their $450 flagship, often times by not even that much. Say that they are flattered that Nvidia is selling what is effectively a $4000 (or however the K20x cards will go for) workstation/hpc GPU in the consumer space for $1000 because they were so desperate to regain the single GPU crown. Point out that unlike the 600 series, AMD compute performance isn't crippled, and while you may not use it, it's nice to have.

The ARES comments are nonsense. Just say that it is a low-volume specialty card from one of their board partners. Point out that consumers have plenty of options for 7970GE CF that come in under the price of a single Titan and perform better. The only people who think it's weird that a $1000 GPU is faster than a $450 GPU seem to work in the AMD PR department.

Last edited:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Jovec, isn't that what saying "that this (GeForce Titan) is not something which was designed to be a graphics card." is encapsulating succinctly.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
The AMD PR for this was mishandled. All they needed to do was compliment Nvidia for needing a $1000 GPU to beat their $450 flagship, often times by not even that much. Say that they are flattered that Nvidia is selling what is effectively a $4000 (or however the K20x cards will go for) workstation/hpc GPU in the consumer space for $1000 because they were so desperate to regain the single GPU crown. Point out that unlike the 600 series, AMD compute performance isn't crippled, and while you may not use, it's nice to have.

The ARES comments are nonsense. Just say that it is a low-volume specialty card from one of their board partners. Point out that consumers have plenty of options for 7970GE CF that come in under the price of a single Titan and perform better. The only people who think it's weird that a $1000 GPU is faster than a $450 one seem to work in the AMD PR department.

That is very well said...and so true.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
The AMD PR for this was mishandled. All they needed to do was compliment Nvidia for needing a $1000 GPU to beat their $450 flagship, often times by not even that much. Say that they are flattered that Nvidia is selling what is effectively a $4000 (or however the K20x cards will go for) workstation/hpc GPU in the consumer space for $1000 because they were so desperate to regain the single GPU crown. Point out that unlike the 600 series, AMD compute performance isn't crippled, and while you may not use, it's nice to have.

The ARES comments are nonsense. Just say that it is a low-volume specialty card from one of their board partners. Point out that consumers have plenty of options for 7970GE CF that come in under the price of a single Titan and perform better. The only people who think it's weird that a $1000 GPU is faster than a $450 one seem to work in the AMD PR department.
Exactly, it would have been incredibly easy for most folks except the idiots hired by AMD.
Jovec, isn't that what saying "that this (GeForce Titan) is not something which was designed to be a graphics card." is encapsulating succinctly.
Possibly, but who knows? They did nothing to nail home the point or sell their products. They literally fumbled the entire interview. If anyone in AMD management doesn't have their head up their rectums (which is a stretch, no pun intended), those guys should never be allowed in a press conference again.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Yeah, stating it took NV a $1k GPU to beat AMDs flagship would of been a great smack down!

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
The AMD PR for this was mishandled. All they needed to do was compliment Nvidia for needing a $1000 GPU to beat their $450 flagship, often times by not even that much. Say that they are flattered that Nvidia is selling what is effectively a $4000 (or however the K20x cards will go for) workstation/hpc GPU in the consumer space for $1000 because they were so desperate to regain the single GPU crown. Point out that unlike the 600 series, AMD compute performance isn't crippled, and while you may not use it, it's nice to have.

Yeah, i guess that would be awesome:
AMD is calling nVidia out for needing a $4000 card to beat their fastest after they used a $3999 card to be faster than the GTX680. :awe: