Question AMD Rome Epyc 7402 question

mrpiggy

Apr 19, 2012
What the heck motherboard or socket will the Rome Epyc 7402 24-core work with?! So I got my hands on one for free and was thinking of using it for my desktop at home... but, I'll be damned if I can figure out what motherboards it will or wont work with (other than some Supermicro boards listed on Newegg). Not concerned about running two at same time (although I do have two). Will this work in the TRX40 socket motherboards for the Threadrippers? Basically, I prefer not buying a pure server/workstation MB and prefer an enthusiast type MB like the ones for Threadrippers. Unfortunately, can't seem to find anything that tells me whether this CPU will work or not with which chipset/socket MB's. AMD's site tells me jack about cross socket/MB compatibility... Yeah I know it's a server CPU, but it's plenty fast for a nice desktop setup.

Also will this CPU even work as a single? I would assume this model will work both single and double. I know they have the 7402"P" for single CPU only motherboards, but I "ASSUME" the non-p designation means it will work with one or two (I'm just looking to run one). Thought this would be a nice replacement for my 3.7Ghz turbo overclocked 18-core Xeon running on an ASRock x99 MB.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Do you know whether the typical Threadripper CPU coolers also fit the SP3 socket CPU's?
Yes, those are all interchangeable. My favorite is (works for a 64 core 7742 Rome, no problem) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DX2SX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats a Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3, $80 at Amazon.

With all 128 threads@100% load, its 68c. I might add a second fan to get it down a little. You can use two of those fans on that HSF in pushpull. I have a 2970wx in that config.

mrpiggy

Apr 19, 2012
How does the Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I-O Socket SP3/ System on Chip/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.0/ V&2GbE/ ATX motherboard appear for a basic motherboard? Main reason is it's >$50 cheaper (~$385) than the above mentioned ASRock. The Supermicro also seems that it wont have any long video card interference issues. Not being familiar with the SP3 motherboards, are there any particular features the ASRock offers over the Supermicro that make a difference for "desktop" use??

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
How does the Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I-O Socket SP3/ System on Chip/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.0/ V&2GbE/ ATX motherboard appear for a basic motherboard? Main reason is it's >$50 cheaper (~$385) than the above mentioned ASRock. The Supermicro also seems that it wont have any long video card interference issues. Not being familiar with the SP3 motherboards, are there any particular features the ASRock offers over the Supermicro that make a difference for "desktop" use??
It will work fine, and it says it has an m.2 slot, but I don't know where. Also, when you get it, the stock bios will not allow you to use the m.2 or sata drives or ssds without bios tweaking. (what pain) as supermicro manuals never seem to come with the motherboard, and support is almost non-existant.