AMD Richland Gesture Control

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by nanaki333, Jun 27, 2013.

1. nanaki333

nanaki333 Diamond Member

Hey all!

I was reading about the gesture control but saw no reviews on it. I recently upgraded my A6 to a new A8 Richland to try it out, but to my surprise, the Desktop models don't support any of the new features AMD was touting. Is it really only mobile chips and I missed that somewhere?

EDIT: I ran the compatibility check AMD provides and the only thing available is the AMD App Zone. Gesture is grayed out along with everything else. I have the latest motherboard BIOS, since my board made me update before letting me use the new Richland APU.

#1 nanaki333, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Richland Gesture Control Forum Date
    What controls Turbo Core in Xeons? CPUs and Overclocking Jan 8, 2017
    How much better are Richland CPUs compared to Trinity? CPUs and Overclocking Jan 4, 2015
    Richland - Half core? CPUs and Overclocking Nov 22, 2014
    A6700 Richland is a fine cpu CPUs and Overclocking Aug 17, 2014
    A8-6410? Heads up: it's Beema, not Richland CPUs and Overclocking Jun 11, 2014

3. sm625

sm625 Diamond Member

AMD Face Login is developed by Cyberlink. I'm not sure about the gesture control but it may be a safe assumption that they did that software too. You should contact them.

4. nanaki333

nanaki333 Diamond Member

there's a utility you can download to see if your system supports the software, then takes you to a page to download it. the parts for facial and gesture are grayed out though, as if i don't support them at all.

5. Hitman928

Hitman928 Golden Member

I don't know for sure, but it was my understanding that the gesture software and facial recognition software was only going to be made available to OEM's as part of a "Richland package" so that they could incorporate the software into their offering. I don't think those features were ever meant to be made available to the end customer for download.

6. fusion238

fusion238 Member

Did the comp check utility install a sys tray icon that you can enable/disable?

Is there an option to enable/disable AMD Gesture Control from loading at Windows start-up?

When AMD Gesture Control is running, there will be a system-tray icon visible. Right-click, and select, ‘Preferences.’ Check/Uncheck “Start with Windows” as desired.

1. AMD Gesture Control is designed to enable gesture recognition as a tool for controlling certain applications on your PC. Only available on upcoming AMD A10 and A8 APUs codenamed "Richland" and upcoming AMD A6 and A4 APUs codenamed "Temash.” Requires a web camera, and will only operate on PCs running Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system.

Supported Windows desktop apps include: Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer, Microsoft PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader. Supported Windows Store apps include: Microsoft Photos, Microsoft Music, Microsoft Reader and Kindle. Performance may be degraded in low lighting or intensely-focused lighting environments.

[​IMG]

7. nanaki333

nanaki333 Diamond Member

There is no icon anywhere. I can't even get the software to download because the compatibility checker says I do not meet the requirements.

8. nanaki333

nanaki333 Diamond Member

9. richierich1212

richierich1212 Platinum Member

10. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

Should this person disclose the fact that they work for amd because it is pretty obvious.

If you have a problem with the poster please open up a thread in Mod Discussions. But frankly I might be missing something here, because I don't see a problem with that post that would require anything to be done any differently.

-Thanks
    ViRGE

#9 VulgarDisplay, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  11. frozentundra123456

frozentundra123456 Diamond Member

Seems like it would actually be more useful on a desktop since they don't have touchscreens. Could you use it as a kind of remote to control the metro interface? I hadn't really heard about this. It sounds kind of neat but I wonder how accurately it can read your movements.

12. nanaki333

nanaki333 Diamond Member

yeah. makes no sense to make it work for only laptops. you're never very far away from the laptop, so why take your hands away from the keyboard/mouse to wave your hands? i was hoping to use this so i don't have to get up or reach my arm over to a remote. laziness and all :)

anyway, i dunno. i just know i'm upset about it.

if anybody has AMD gesture control working with their Richland, be it laptop or desktop, please let me know!