AMD Reports Third Quarter Results

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
The report.

Still losing money though:

In the third quarter of 2009, AMD reported a net loss attributable to AMD common stockholders of $128 million, or $0.18 per share, which includes a net favorable impact of $54 million, or $0.08 per share, primarily from a $66 million gain from the repurchase of debt as described in the table below2.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Surprised this one made it to page 2 before a response. Generally ati financial is a big ticket item in these threads. Now if amd could only learn from ati.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
ronnn, that's because quite a few people on here don't want to hear about them doing poorly.

Forumpanda

Apr 8, 2009
They did better than 'expected', whether thats good or bad I guess is up to people to debate.
As far as I can read though (I'm not strong in finance), their core business did show qa profit and its only GF dragging them.

I am however much more curious about Q4, and the coming months steam surveys, both these results last months steam survey are before any impact of the 5xxx series.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Also in the cc they did announce 32nm fusion will be deneb-derivative and will precede bulldozer release...fusion w/deneb shrink is Q4/10, BD is 1H2011.

side-note: a mod should merge these two AMD earnings threads...

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Well I think its great. The only thing I hate is AMD said they would be profitable by now . I new that was an out and out lie . But so what Next QT AMD goes BLACK . A very good thing.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Well I think its great. The only thing I hate is AMD said they would be profitable by now . I new that was an out and out lie . But so what Next QT AMD goes BLACK . A very good thing.

Going back a little - AMD's former CEO, Mr. Hector Jesus Ruiz was promising that AMD will be "back in black" by the end of 2008. When it was clear that this is not going to happen even with the GlobalFoundries deal - Hector stepped down and pushed Mr. Dirk Meyer into the role of AMD's CEO. On the other hand, Dirk promised that the company will be "back in black" by the end of 2009. Dirk's management team managed to pull AMD Product Company into black, but we wonder how long it will take to see AMD Consolidated into the black. With massive investments into building the Fab2 complex in New York, we doubt that GlobalFoundries will post a profit in the next 2-3 years. Then again, GlobalFoundries is no longer a financial burden for AMD, since the company is predominately owned by ATIC.

http://www.brightsideofnews.co...but-only-128m-usd.aspx

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
oh, come on nemesis, who predicted the great recession?? shit, I think that I read earlier that even intel lost money last quarter. These results for amd are fantastic imho.

news about bulldozer in 1h 2011 is very bad. amd needs to start getting some money from their mega-suit vs intel SOON or they will fall so far behind that it could become impossible to catch up.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
oh, come on nemesis, who predicted the great recession?? shit, I think that I read earlier that even intel lost money last quarter. These results for amd are fantastic imho.

news about bulldozer in 1h 2011 is very bad. amd needs to start getting some money from their mega-suit vs intel SOON or they will fall so far behind that it could become impossible to catch up.

Oh come on what bryan . I think AMD did good . Next Qt black maybe . As for intel last qt . was that the 1billion theft Qt by EU. So ya they showed red but that 1 billion isn't the EUs just yet.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Well they are bleeding less money which is good. And their products are not too bad right now either. Let's hope that next year will see true black not just for AMD but for everyone.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Well they are bleeding less money which is good. And their products are not too bad right now either. Let's hope that next year will see true black not just for AMD but for everyone.

Aren't too bad? yeah, they certainly arent considering you can virtually find any nvidia card you would want to buy right this minute in stock and overpriced. Try saying the same thing about Ati's whole current lineup. From soup to nuts every price point is dominated by highly competive Radeons that offer great bang for the buck and a promising future.

what about the EOL rumors regarding some of the nvidia highend?

What about the fact that HD5870's and HD5850's are pretty much regarded as the cards to own if you are looking at the highend?

blah blah blah..... step into my office!

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think that I read earlier that even intel lost money last quarter.

Intel made $1.9Billion in profit last quarter. That will likely be about AMD and nVidia's total revenue. Combined.