AMD ReLive and RX 460 - not the same media encode / decode blocks as Polaris 10?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovation...ign=relive&utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=301

See that chart.

Polaris 11 (little Polaris) doesn't do recording above 1440P@60. Polaris 10 (big Polaris) can do 4K@60.

So, this is the first that I've heard that the media encode / decode blocks are DIFFERENT between the two Polaris variants.

Is this true? Or is this some sort of arbitrary software lockout, designed to up-sell video cards?

Reactions: Jen

f2bnp

May 25, 2015
Probably some lockout on ReLive, since I'm guessing the card would struggle (although it would run just fine with older games). I'm guessing they don't want it to look bad, so they removed it all together, plus up-selling video cards like you said.
I seriously doubt Polaris 10 and 11 would be that different in that department!

You could use 3rd party software to pull it off.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Hm, that's peculiar. Could the ecode blocks be clocked lower in the RX 460? Considering that the chip itself isn't able to output 1440p60 in the vast majority of games, might they have done this to conserve power? The same might of course be done by scaling down the encoder hardware, although that sounds expensive to me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I guess, part of me, knowing that AMD doesn't have much spare cash around for extra R&D expenses, thinks that it would be crazy if they didn't just design a single encode/decode block, and plop it onto the Polaris 10 and 11 dies.

You might be onto something about the clock rates of the chips, versus the power budget for each of the cards.

Would the shader count matter? I thought that these were hardware encode/decode blocks, and not shader-based (hybrid).

Edit: RX 460 4GB Nitro card, WILL play Skyrim (Vanilla vanilla) @ 4K, so the fact that it can't record it at the same time is curious, if the encode block is truly hardware-based.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovation...ign=relive&utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=301

See that chart.

Polaris 11 (little Polaris) doesn't do recording above 1440P@60. Polaris 10 (big Polaris) can do 4K@60.

So, this is the first that I've heard that the media encode / decode blocks are DIFFERENT between the two Polaris variants.

Is this true? Or is this some sort of arbitrary software lockout, designed to up-sell video cards?
I don't think it is different at all.
The problem is the 128-bit bus, and only 112GB/s memory.
It would tank performance.