AMD Readying Radeon HD 7930, HD 7970 & HD 7990

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
None of that stuff bothers me and is part of forum lore and shouldn't surprise anyone. Companies change directions; it happens and at times, occasionally, some of their hardened fans do as well. Ironic, hehe, how sometimes companies do what seems like polar opposites in a way though.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
As a vocal advocate for GPU Physics, this is wonderful to read:

AFDS 2012 Day 1

The session discussed and demonstrated how GPGPU facilitates accelerating physics calculations to make meaningful impacts on gaming design. Where a CPU becomes bottlenecked around 30,000 objects, a discrete GPU like the AMD Radeon HD 7970 can process 100,000 objects

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/afds_2012/day1/

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
With more focus on GPU processing, hopefully more focus on GPU Physics.

The issue currently is that games are horribly GPU bottlenecked and there aren't any engines that need extreme amounts of physics calculations. It makes sense to offload anything the CPU can do half-decently. Physix titles almost require a second card to be get playable framerates with it set to high.

That said, I'd gladly shed IQ features (DOF, you're the worst) if it got us an amazing physics engine.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I see opportunities where others may see issues. Very pleased to see more movement with GPU Physics from AMD.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
The issue currently is that games are horribly GPU bottlenecked and there aren't any engines that need extreme amounts of physics calculations. It makes sense to offload anything the CPU can do half-decently. Physix titles almost require a second card to be get playable framerates with it set to high.

That said, I'd gladly shed IQ features (DOF, you're the worst) if it got us an amazing physics engine.
If you ask me, I'd rather have the bottleneck be on the GPU rather than any other part. RAM improvements over the years are practically non existent, CPUs grow maybe 15% a year... but GPUs move very quickly.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
a tahiti firepro card at 1ghz

AMD_FireProW9000_689.jpg

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/6/14/amd-to-debut-a-4tflops-card-at-siggraph-firepro-w9000.aspx

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004

You could have both if companies weren't trying to make squeeze a dollar from every place by making things proprietary (not that it's unexpected, they're businesses after all). You can do great physics, much better than what we have now, on the CPU if it's coded correctly. Same with IQ. The problem is no company is going to spend the time optimizing code and squeezing in more features unless it's proven to sell more games (hint: it hasn't been). This is the downside to capitalism when the consumers are idiot bottom-feeders.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
How so? Honest question. :)

You know, I have no clue to be honest. Every game I play just feels smoother. Its not the frame rate difference that I notice but it seems that the AMD cards feel a little jittery compared to Nvidia. I am sure its driver related issues but I am not waiting for AMD to perform a miracle in their driver dept.

Plus BF3 doesn't choke with everything set to max @ 1080p

GotNoRice

Aug 14, 2000
I'd rather they just renamed the card than come out with a "ghz edition".

It makes it a lot harder trying to do SLI down the road. Like my friend with a GTX260, trying to find another that is 216sp when most are 192sp.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I'd rather they just renamed the card than come out with a "ghz edition".

It makes it a lot harder trying to do SLI down the road. Like my friend with a GTX260, trying to find another that is 216sp when most are 192sp.

One could sli a GTX 260 216 with a GTX 260 192.

GotNoRice

Aug 14, 2000
One could sli a GTX 260 216 with a GTX 260 192.

Yeah, and i'm sure you would be able to crossfire a 7970 ghz edition with a non-ghz edition also, but any situation where one card has to slow down to accommodate the other really isn't ideal IMO and can even increase micro-stutter. There is also the OCD factor of simply wanting identical cards.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
3 fan dual GPU card in his hand btw. I wonder what the TDP will be.

2x 8 pin connectors & 4TF Single Precision so heavily underclocked. It is a FirePro, the stickers on the fans say as much.

Someone on Techpowerup speculated ~500Mhz core clocks based on the 4TFLOP SP figures but I think somewhere around 600MHz.