AMD RAID 1 N00b questions

GnatGoSplat

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
I've got a pair of Seagate drives and don't really trust Seagate (or hard drives in general) so plan to run them RAID 1 mirrored. My machine is AMD.

I played around in the RAID utility and was able to set up a RAID 1 on my two drives. One drive contains the OS, the other did not. RAID status was "Functional" and the machine booted. However, some things are still not clear.

1. When configuring RAID 1, is the 1st drive always the "master" that is duplicated to the 2nd drive? It seemed to be the case since my OS was still there.

2. How can I know when mirroring is complete and the mirror drive is 100% identical to the 1st drive?

3. How do I know when one of my drives has failed? Does Windows detect it?

4. What would happen if I temporarily disconnect a drive, but then reconnect it and the contents between the 2 drives are no longer in sync? Does it automatically re-sync, and if so, does it know which drive's contents are newer?

5. Can I resize a mirrored partition without losing data? For example, say I started with a 1TB drive mirrored to a 2TB drive. Can I then replace the 1TB drive with another 2TB drive and reconfigure the RAID to use the full 2TB without losing data?

6. Will the drive still be usable and boot if I pull the 2nd drive and reconfigure the BIOS back to standard AHCI? I experimented a little and I think the answer to this is "Yes", but just want to verify.