AMD Vega (FE and RX) Benchmarks [Updated Aug 10 - RX Vega 64 Unboxing]

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
The original Titan had double precision, FP64, and was truly geared toward compute/sciencey workstation types that also wanted to play games. But the last several iterations of the Titan line have had all those extra bits stripped away - they're just really expensive halo gaming cards now. What is it? $200 extra per percentage of performance (1080Ti vs Titan Xp)? I don't blame AMD for wanting a piece of that action. If you build it, they will come... with wallets wide open.
You are arguing with NVIDIA itself. That's always a dead end.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Well, in addition to the usual sorts of issues, we're performing a rather 'exciting' economic experiment just now......

That is of course a truly stupid price.

Reactions: 3DVagabond

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
It would be awesome if it was, but sadly it's not. :(
OK. I checked further. And according to Hot Hardware, who did get a pro duo for testing, it does actually load with both Radeon and Firepro drivers. They don't talk about any procedure to switch between them. They aren't the best site out there, but unfortunately they are the only ones who typically get work station cards.

Ae least I know I'm not crazy. :D

Depending on the particular use case, the Radeon Pro Duo can be configured with gamer-centric Crimson Edition drivers, just like all other current Radeon-branded graphics cards, or it can be used with AMD FirePro drivers is you need / want application certifications or the additional stability of workstation-class software.

Relevant Software:
Windows 10 Pro x64 (10586)
AMD Radeon Crimson v16.4.2
AMD FirePro Workstation Driver v15.301.2401
NVIDIA GeForce Drivers v364.72
NVIDIA Quadro ODE Drivers v363.13

I've linked the quotes.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
If you go to AMD's driver page, the Pro Duo shows up under both Desktop drivers and Workstation drivers. It's clear from HotHardware's review that even though you can use FirePro drivers, they don't appear to do anything and it gets trounced by the M6000 (significantly more expensive) in SPEC. I'd really like to see a review that makes the following comparisons using both professional applications and games:

RX 480 vs Polaris Pro Duo vs FirePro WX 7100
1080 Ti vs Titan Xp vs Quadro P6000

Reactions: ZGR

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017
FirePro WX 7100

FirePro is dead. It got killed in July 2016. PRO is the new brand segmentation for workstation cards.

RX - Gaming
PRO (WX) - Workstation
INSTINCT (MI) - Deep learning & data centre

This is the current product segmentation.

Frontier Edition is a PRO (but not a WX, with partial certification) card for rich gamers & poor professionals.

fv6hlo4.jpg

Last edited:

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017
People/companies that can't afford the future PRO (WX - fully certified, fully optimized drivers) Vega workstation cards.
PCWorld said:
Note that the Frontier Edition will do so with pro-optimized software support, though the drivers for the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition won’t actually be fully certified

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
People/companies that can't afford the PRO (WX - fully certified, fully optimized drivers) workstation cards.

imo Radeon Vega FE is looking more like AMD's attempt at a Titan card. This card is neither a PRO WX card which comes with fully certified and optimized drivers and nor a RX Vega card which comes at a lower and more reasonable price point. The only difference between RX Vega and Vega FE is the extra 8GB HBM2 on the Vega FE.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
imo Radeon Vega FE is looking more like AMD's attempt at a Titan card. This card is neither a PRO WX card which comes with fully certified and optimized drivers and nor a RX Vega card which comes at a lower and more reasonable price point. The only difference between RX Vega and Vega FE is the extra 8GB HBM2 on the Vega FE.
Yep and the marketing is much closer to the original GK110 cut down Titan than the later gamer focused ones.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Poor professionals... Meaning?
It's the perfect card for game devs. Can use pro drivers for 3DMax etc... but use game drivers to actually run the game. Can test both single and crossfire configs.

And I'm not sure what drivers people are claiming this card runs. AFAIK they don't make special drivers for them.

If you go to AMD's driver page, the Pro Duo shows up under both Desktop drivers and Workstation drivers. It's clear from HotHardware's review that even though you can use FirePro drivers, they don't appear to do anything and it gets trounced by the M6000 (significantly more expensive) in SPEC. I'd really like to see a review that makes the following comparisons using both professional applications and games:

RX 480 vs Polaris Pro Duo vs FirePro WX 7100
1080 Ti vs Titan Xp vs Quadro P6000

I don't think that's the market for these cards.

Reactions: Bacon1

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Call me daft, but I didn't realize the $600 price difference was just because of the watercooler. Woof. Them some brass balls on AMD. Kudos to them for each unit they can sell.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Call me daft, but I didn't realize the $600 price difference was just because of the watercooler. Woof. Them some brass balls on AMD. Kudos to them for each unit they can sell.

I wish Nvidia would do the same honestly. Titan Xp deserves to be sold with a watercooler. $600 premium? Nah.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

Yeah its time AMD made some money. Zen and Vega are the biggest R&D investments for AMD in a long while . I think AMD is going to be supply limited for Vega. AMD has 3 announced products using the Vega chip - Radeon Instinct 16GB, Radeon Vega FE 16GB and Radeon RX Vega 8GB . I think RX Vega will get the lowest priority from all the Vega GPUs manufactured. Its going to be bad for gamers as they will get the least priority but good for AMD given that the Radeon Instinct is a much more higher margin product followed by Radeon Vega FE and lastly RX Vega.

Reactions: Phynaz

T1beriu

Mar 3, 2017
It seems that Vega FE is cheaper than believed. -$999/1499.
AMD PR said:
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics cards are available from etailers in select regions today with an SEP of $999 USD for the air-cooled edition. The water-cooled edition is expected to launch in Q3 with an SEP of $1499.

Source.

Vega FE comes with multiple driver options.
Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition introduces “Gaming Mode”. This allows you to switch from Radeon™ Pro Settings to Radeon™ Settings where you can access gaming features for playtesting and performance optimization.
If you are focused on game development on a Windows® platform, get your driver here and switch to “Gaming Mode.

Source.

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Why would AMD bench the Radeon Vega FE in VRMark Orange Room and show pathetic scores while stating "Performance may vary based on use of latest drivers" . What are AMD trying to say ? That their Radeon Vega FE sucks on launch day. This card is marketed at VR enthusiasts too along with machine learning and 3D professionals. So they should atleast have solid VR performance on launch day. AMD marketing is horrible.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Why would AMD bench the Radeon Vega FE in VRMark Orange Room and show pathetic scores while stating "Performance may vary based on use of latest drivers" . What are AMD trying to say ? That their Radeon Vega FE sucks on launch day. This card is marketed at VR enthusiasts too along with machine learning and 3D professionals. So they should atleast have solid VR performance on launch day. AMD marketing is horrible.
Yeah I'm not sure why they're showing Orange Room scores, and leaving out the system specs that were included in the other tests.

edit. Tests done on a Xeon E5 3.5Ghz. Scores would be impacted quite a bit with an actual gaming CPU?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.