Article AMD Radeon GPU Drivers Reportedly Still A Mess – Black Screens, Stuttering, Flickering, Inconsistent Clocks & More

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
I've read now two (one here one over at r/amd) regarding uses with M.2 drives. The people discussing how ULPS work make reference to PCI-E devices and how they are put to rest states.

Would be interesting if this is causing some of the stability issues. But of course too many variables and not enough info.

Can any AMD users with the newer drivers check if eject lists their device?
I've polaris + M.2 combination, no problem here.
No such eject option is seen. There are always people online trying to spread fud. Could be one of those.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The funiest part is that he cannot even bring anything to the topic, because he does not even use Navi GPUs, and he actually does not care about solving the problem.

Thankfully, there are people here who actually care about the problem, and are adding to the topic something(anything constructive), even if the problems are so random.

I don't really understand the mentality of those thinking they're doing a service to the community when it's really just to promote one's agenda(s).

I'm having no issues with my 5700 and my son's having no issues with his 5700x so I can't really add anything constructive to the conversation....But in reality that' not why the thread was created anyways.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I don't really understand the mentality of those thinking they're doing a service to the community when it's really just to promote one's agenda(s).

I'm having no issues with my 5700 and my son's having no issues with his 5700x so I can't really add anything constructive to the conversation....But in reality that' not why the thread was created anyways.
Just cause you do not experience the problems does not mean others don't. As I have mentioned, my friend does experience them with latest drivers, on RX 580 GPU. I cannot say anything about it, because: I don't own Navi GPU, yet(I will, which is why I am interested in the topic) and secondly - Im migrating to Linux, and it appears Linux is completely unaffected by the problems.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
I've not had any black screens with my 5700 vanilla, but I've had two issues, one is specific to Apex Legends, and the other I think has to do with running dual screens.

With the former, on a variety of pre-2020 drivers (I'm on 20.1.3 now), I would constantly get this DXGI device hung crash where within about 5-10 minutes into a game, my framerate would dip to like 5fps and then the game would crash, in addition to the Radeon Software application. This didn't happen with my RX580 using the exact same driver set at the time. It was so bad it was happening every 2-3 games, to the point where I tried everything, including every version of driver within the past 3 months available at the time, and anything I could find online, to no avail. I stopped playing for a couple months.

Either a patch update to the game (Devs are aware of the issue, which impacts both AMD/Nvidia) or the newer 20.1.3 mostly fixed the issue. It still sometimes happens once out of every 20-30 games. Now, however, I can close Radeon Software, and it won't occur at all. It's odd because I have all monitoring and Radeon overlay stuff turned off, so not sure what's going on there. I don't bother to turn it off unless I get a DXGI crash, but at least now things are very playable.

With the latter issue, what's happening is that I run steam/discord on my secondary monitor and game with my primary. However, if someone sends me a message on either platform, it's almost as if the Radeon Software/driver starts to think as if where I'm getting pinged on is now my primary display, because my framerate in games will drop to less than half. I'll be playing Apex or CS:GO (or anything, really), get a ping, and my fps goes from 100 to 30. I'll have to pause in a corner, mouse over, acknowledge the ping and minimize it. Framerate goes back to normal. This one doesn't bother me much because I can get around it, but it's just odd.

Other than that...running two displays, one with freesync, one without, with a 5700 vanilla...it's not been bad. I'm chalking this up to new architecture. On the whole things mostly run pretty smooth and issue free.

philosofool

Nov 3, 2008
The plural of anecdote is not data, people. Smokers frequently report that smoking doesn't make them sick. Only some people are idiots, but every one can post to the internet.

A news article that rehashes what people said on Reddit is the definition of fake news: it's not new, it's not fact checked, and it's likely designed to bring eyeballs to advertisers without regard for whether we are all dumber or otherwise worse off for it's having been said.

Reactions: Gikaseixas
Status
Not open for further replies.