Question AMD Radeon cards and Linux

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Anyone here use Linux distribution such as Ubuntu, use a AMD Radeon graphics card or a integrated Radeon GPU? If so does the driver include a graphics control panel that lets you adust graphics settings in Linux and is one of the graphics settings a choice to set the RGB range to Full or Limited?

Bigos

Jun 2, 2019
There is no control panel on AMD Linux drivers. You would need to look at settings of a specific Wayland compositor or X11, depending on distro and desktop environment. And color management is a mess on Linux AFAIK, still needing years for full software support across the whole stack.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
R9 380X and Linux Mint 21.x here (amdgpu driver in use).

Despite having experienced the difference between limited and full RGB I've never thought to check my setup while in Linux. I'm in agreement with Bigos about the lack of control panel in Linux for such options and I spent the last hour or so reading up about solutions (and there are some with varying degrees of ease of implementation). However, given that I have a card with both DP and HDMI outputs and a display with both inputs and a spare DP cable I discovered in my collection recently, I decided to do some checking and I think that my existing HDMI setup has been doing full RGB the whole time because I can't tell any difference in colour output between both modes. I also set up an image that included RGB 16,16,16 and RGB 0,0,0 and got the same results on both outputs as well as the same result from this image: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/img/blacktest.png

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I run Holo iso on my Pro 2400g deskmini. I guess I have been so stoked I can run a lot of my Steam library on it, that I never thought to consider RGB or the Adrenaline interface. I adjust settings in game.

• Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I used to use Xubuntu with R9 cards, but that was for DC/compute.

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
In my experience so far using amdgpu works, but if you are into number crunching getting opencl setup can be a pain. I am getting compute errors on primegrid, from mesa opencl implementation.

It seems that Boinc doesn't like amd opencl drivers, and if you don't have an opencl runtime Boinc complains about not finding a gpu. Almost makes me want to run Nvidia again just for the gpu compute.

Also it seems that if you run the flatpak version of Boinc, it is missing the AMD, opencl files you will need if you go for Radeon.

They have Radeontop for useage but in general anything you want to do with gpu compute might be a pain.

R81Z3N1

Bigos

Jun 2, 2019
For mesa OpenCL, are you using clover or rusticl?

But I guess the idea is that you should use ROCm for compute, but support for various consumer GPUs is iffy :/ Did not play with GPU compute for quite some time.

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
I believe the default was mesa clover, the rocm on debian from gpu-install failed but opencl worked. My amdgpu-install was some thing like --usecase=opencl, --no-dkms, --no-32 or something. If used rocm, usecase it gave errors.

My primegrid errors, could very well be the opencl instance but weird thing is some projects finish, and then give compute errors on same project.

Actually Almalinux was able to give me a good clean install of amdgpu, but boinc was giving me errors of no gpu found. Or when stopping daemon, told me another instance of boinc was running when ps aux showed no boinc processes. I could not find the lock file in var/lib/boinc to delete. This was with trying with no daemon, and running boinc-client.

While I was at it since it was a trial machine, tried Kubuntu 23/10, KaOS, of course Debian, Kubuntu is very nice but amdgpu gave same errors as Debian, KaOS doesn't even show a package for Boinc even if it's arch based. Yes I know about Pacman, and KaOS doesn't use grub, but likes systemd-boot.

All that could of been prevented, if Boinc flatpak had the proper opencl files for AMD, or in my case use reinstall Nvidia for gpu compute, which works with the flatpak. Now I use AMD, and running Intel on Win 11 with primegrid.

So at moment have 2 nvidia cards as backups, one 1050ti, 1080 waiting for new homes, Or the recycle heap.

R81Z3N1