AMD Q415 results

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
Yes, I think it is safe to say the CPU and GPU component of 35W Bristol Ridge mobile will be lower performing than 14nm Intel 2C/4T and a Nvidia GPU like GM108.....but the big difference is that the AMD processor is a SoC.

So Bristol while Bristol Ridge may be less efficient from a processing standpoint It could be more efficient from a packaging standpoint (allowing a larger battery, smaller form factor, etc.)

Skylake is also SoC, and even if it wasn't the chipset wouldn't consume enough to tilt the balance towards AMD.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I wouldn't buy Intel stock, much less AMD...both companies were late to the mobile game, and mobile is where it's at. Perhaps Intel can catch up and be alright though, but AMD is a goner. Doesn't matter since CPU raw speeds aren't going to make any massive gains the next decade... a 6+ core broadwell-E rig will last a typical gamer 5+ years..

gaming has stagnated in terms of raw power and graphics... mobile is where the money is at.. when you've got people dumping hundreds to over a thousand dollars to get ahead in a game like Clash of Clans, why develop something more complicated?

If you didn't get the memo. Smartphones are dead too. Apple cut production 30% in Q1 and so on.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Yes, I think it is safe to say the CPU and GPU component of 35W Bristol Ridge mobile will be lower performing than 14nm Intel 2C/4T and a Nvidia GPU like GM108.....but the big difference is that the AMD processor is a SoC.

They promised the world with Carrizo and the fastest SKU can't even properly beat HD 520 @ graphics while still being slower than an i3 in CPU tasks, so don't expect much from it.

Mar 10, 2006
They promised the world with Carrizo and the fastest SKU can't even properly beat HD 520 @ graphics while still being slower than an i3 in CPU tasks, so don't expect much from it.

What's hilarious is that Su said they are entering 2016 with their strongest product lineup in years.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
What's hilarious is that Su said they are entering 2016 with their strongest product lineup in years.

07-minister.jpg

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Are they using single channel 1600MHz memory there? It sure looks like it. The article isn't in English, which is all I know. What TDP is the HP configured for? Even with what appears to be single channel memory AMD won nine, lost 10... pretty even.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Lisa Su said on the call that Zen-based server chips will be in the performance class of ~80% of the server market; won't be fast enough for the top 20%.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. NVidia's 750/750ti video cards weren't the fastest either, but they had amazing performance/watt and AFAIK sold pretty well.

It's still possible that Zen is a somewhat power-efficient architecture (some speculate derived from cat cores?), that allows packing in a large number of cores per CPU, along with SMT for a further performance/watt gain.

I'm still looking forward to Zen, nothing that I've heard thus far has dissuaded me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just put a SSD in someone's C2D E6600 / DDR2 powered desktop and installed Windows 10. He was so happy with the machine he won't be upgrading for years now, and that machine is already 'old'.

Good for you! I'm always glad to see someone re-purposing older technology and still keeping it out of landfills.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Are they using single channel 1600MHz memory there? It sure looks like it. The article isn't in English, which is all I know. What TDP is the HP configured for? Even with what appears to be single channel memory AMD won nine, lost 10... pretty even.

Nope, they tested both single and dual-channel. And the 10 x 9 result is with dual-channel.

Mar 10, 2006
Good for you! I'm always glad to see someone re-purposing older technology and still keeping it out of landfills.

I can't imagine putting a Core 2 Duo class machine in a landfill. I would donate it to a local school or to some entity that gives such machines to low income families/individuals.

Core 2 Duo class processors are still mighty fine for basic usage, and that's exactly the PC industry's problem.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I just put a SSD in someone's C2D E6600 / DDR2 powered desktop and installed Windows 10. He was so happy with the machine he won't be upgrading for years now, and that machine is already 'old'.

I can't imagine putting a Core 2 Duo class machine in a landfill. I would donate it to a local school or to some entity that gives such machines to low income families/individuals.

Core 2 Duo class processors are still mighty fine for basic usage, and that's exactly the PC industry's problem.

Speaking of old desktops (including ones with Lynnfield and Sandy Bridge processors), it would be great to see AMD compete again in the low end desktop dGPU market.

Nvidia has had the top entry level card spot (with the GT 730 GDDR5) on Tom's "best GPU for the money guide" since it came out in 2014.

14-133-542-TS

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

I've been under the impression that all Carrizo FX-8800P notebooks (with the exception of the Lenovo Y700, which has dGPU) were/are 15W TDP. This due the OEMs using DDR3 1600 RAM, and not the faster DDR3 2133 needed for the higher TDP.

So I am not surprised it would lose to i5-6200U in 10 out of 19 games.

Bristol Ridge, in contrast, will ship with DDR4 and therefore able to make use of 35W TDP.

Comparing the CPU and GPU frequency graphs for 15W/25W and 35W/42W Carrizo in this post, Bristol Ridge average clocks should scale almost linearly with an increase in TDP. In fact, after seeing those two runs my opinion was that using such a big 245mm2 processor under 35W is underutilizing the silicon.

Here are two graphs from post #2351 of the Carrizo Pre-release thread:

15W is optimal if either both are loaded but results in the cpu clock suffering mostly.
At 35W you can run the cpu portion at 2.1GHz rather than ~1.1GHz. And run the GPU at 600-800MHz rather than 500MHz. So yes in terms of efficiency it's less good than at 15W but it would make the difference between playing games smoothly or being hit by a cpu bottleneck.

If it can meat or beat a 50W Intel + Nvidia setup with 35W it's still very efficient. (Let's say 15-20W for the Intel CPU + ~32W for the 840M)

I think they could match that Intel + Nv config going by the results Stilt posted for GTA V

15-25W:

9fab58c2_GTA-V_15-25W-1600-DAR-CLK.png

35-42W:
2fc49047_GTA-V_35-42W-2133-DAR-CLK.png

This test, as mentioned, used GTA V (which is CPU intensive game) with Carrizo at two different two TDP levels:

15W with 25W AC boost

35W with 42W AC boost

But notice the large amount of extra mileage the 35W-42W got compared to the 15W-25W.

Its looks like the iGPU clocks rise form about ~350 MHz to about ~750 Mhz and the CPU clocks go from ~1500 Mhz to ~2500 Mhz in the middle part of the test.

That is a really big boost.
With DDR4, I would think that Bristol Ridge at the same 35W-42W becomes very viable as an entry level gaming processor. (Probably even beating A8-7600 desktop processor with DDR3 2133, which is faster than the OEM A8-7600 desktop boxes that ship with DDR3 1600).

Last edited:

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
That's not necessarily a bad thing. NVidia's 750/750ti video cards weren't the fastest either, but they had amazing performance/watt and AFAIK sold pretty well.

I would say that betting Intel on efficiency will be even harder than to beat them on performance.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Lisa Su:
We’re very much committed to deliver Zen on the time scale that we have previously stated, which is: 2016 you’ll see samples, hardware, some early volume, but 2017 is the first full year of volume in servers and desktops. We’re excited.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/14/a...eo-lisa-su-says-2016-is-the-year-amd-is-back/

I wonder if she is as excited as Rory Reed was for 3 years. :eek:

Also it appears that some folk will have to wait till 2017 to be bitter because they'll be sitting on an expensive and slow 4 core Intel CPU, while others will be using a cheaper and faster 8 core AMD CPU.

Mar 10, 2006

Joke's on you, dude:

Even with a fast dual-channel RAM, the graphics performance of the APU is highly dependent on the bandwidth. Nevertheless, many manufacturers for cost reasons (or to the user to facilitate the upgrade) block only a single module, including the HP 745 G3. For the following 3D and gaming benchmarks we therefore another 8 GB Riegel DDR3L-1600 adds further to assess the resulting performance increase can.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

Never short of words when it comes to bash AMD, hey..?..

This time they will have the process perf/watt advantage, actualy they could
even afford to have almost 20% worse perf/watt uarchitecturaly wise and still be on par in perf/watt..

Joke's on you, dude:

Does change nothing, it s more than competive, you can look at the competition, all their highest scores are achieved with high TDPs, to the point that NBC discard Prime 95 for some Intel based laptops.

Last edited:

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
If AMD does go under, i will weep in sorrow :'(
But... that will also mean we will see the US antitrust division splitting both Intel and Nvdia apart. Oh boy, won't that be fun to watch :D

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I just hate the idea that Zen might die on the birthing blocks at this rate. AMD has made amazing technological leaps and really I think per pound of engineer and per R&D dollar they're more efficient than Intel.

What a sad thing, if AMD dies early.
Take in care something: AMD dies, nVIDIA leaves the x86 market soon after since Intel would start to find a way to lock nVILINK and nerf PCI-e and since they are with the US government, they won't be sued at least initially. Also nVIDIA knows that the dGPU market is slowly dying and without competition, they won't continue the situation like that. They are moving too. They are going Post PC too. They won't waste time on a market who is about to die and without competition, they know that they won't last long enough.

Also it means the death of GloFo (yeah, AMD dies, they do too) and a MASSIVE defeat of Samsung, Khronos (Vulkan) , Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft since the first will lose a key client, the 2nd will lose a BIG supporter, the 3er will lose their only CHEAP way to enter to the current graphics market (they won't move to Intel or nVIDIA, so they will be Power PC all over again and you know how they looks on that), Sony will lose a lot of boost and since they won't move to Intel... maybe they go ARM...

And Microsoft simply leave for real the Console World since Intel is about to enter to that world too and they have other priorities. Even more, since XBox One didn't sold well and is still NOT selling in most countries, seems that this is the last generation from MS on the console world, also they started to focus on PC world again.

Even more, that will mark a defeat of VIA since they need a mid tier competitor to stay alive, without them, Intel will likely to revoke their x86 licence.