AMD Q4 2016 and Full Year Results

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Since i cannot invest in AMD stocks or any stock overseas thanks to the Greek/European governments that enforced capital controls, i will just make a Nostradamus prediction now before the event take place.

AMD stock price will increase significantly the next 4-6 weeks and will continue to increase its value the entire year.

Reactions: Drazick

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
$50M loss isn't terrible by any means. The consoles are still AMD's only really profitable product, although they do seem to have sold a decent amount of Polaris GPUs.

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
$50M loss isn't terrible by any means. The consoles are still AMD's only really profitable product, although they do seem to have sold a decent amount of Polaris GPUs.
Well, it was expected to see loss in Compute & Graphics market, since they didn't have products in Compute and high-end Graphics segment for some time :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
well, recovered the day's losses and then some after-hours. Hell, they even hit about 5% at one point on the day overall, briefly.

Fairly good news for AMD, I was not expecting them to beat expectations for 4Q.

Reactions: Gikaseixas

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
How can one expect anything to beat expectations?

Sorry, I'm just having a little fun. Don't mind me!

..well, I still don't get it...because what is wrong with the grammar? (I get having fun, but that is a common phrase when talking about quarterly numbers so...people beat expectations all the time? I don't get it. :(

I'd lol too if I could figure out what is wrong or weird with the comment/expression.

OH! I get it. expecting not to ...expectations.

derp. yes, very good. :D

Reactions: Avalon

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Earnings forecasts annoy me. I guess I should be happy for AMD that they beat "expectations" but whatever, they still lost money, and their product lineup in q4 2016 was frankly quite dismal.

They failed to make good on Bristol Ridge, which is . . . eh who am I kidding, it wasn't a compelling product anyway (except for that 1/2 DP iGPU performance, yowza). Some OEM buyers are probably happy with it. We probably won't see much of it at all anywhere, and once Raven ridge is out, it's goodbye Con cores.

Basically the only interesting product AMD has on the market right this instant is Polaris. Despite all the people bashing it on a daily basis, it's actually a decent product. Especially if you like mining crypto.

Reactions: Gikaseixas

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Expect to beat expectations is an extremely common word pairing so much that it has full 7 pages of google search results. So what's unusual or interesting in this?
Don't mind him, just came to threadcrap

Good showing by AMD given it's difficulties in some areas. Ryzen and Vega are needed yesterday

Reactions: strategyfreak

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
eh, that wasn't a threadcrap. Arachnotronic was commenting on the strange grammatical structure of "expecting expectations to x" It is very common and few think about it, yeah, but outside of finance it is grammatically strange. If you expect to beat or not meet "expectations"...then what are "Expectations" if you don't "expect" them to be "that thing that they are"?

Yes, in corporate earnings terms, expectations are "a thing" ...I don't know if you call it a noun but it isn't an adverb. It is not the same as the word "expectations" which is why it works. But out of context, it's a weird expression when you think about it.

There can still be humor in these forums folks. Please do not despair! :D

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
eh, that wasn't a threadcrap. Arachnotronic was commenting on the strange grammatical structure of "expecting expectations to x" It is very common and few think about it, yeah, but outside of finance it is grammatically strange. If you expect to beat or not meat "expectations"...then what are "Expectations" if you don't "expect" them to be "that thing that they are"?

Yes, in corporate earnings terms, expectations are "a thing" ...I don't know if you call it a noun but it isn't an adverb. It is not the same as the word "expectations" which is why it works. But out of context, it's a weird expression when you think about it.

There can still be humor in these forums folks. Please do not despair! :D

:)

I also like to poke fun at people who use the phrase "expect the unexpected" -- as if that makes ANY sense!

Anyway, to the topic at hand...

Generally speaking, financial analysts will have revenue and profit expectations ahead of a company's earnings report. Different analysts will have different opinions, and when they are all averaged, you get "consensus" estimates.

When a company "beats" expectations, what's really going on is that the company did better than what the analysts who were putting their guesses out there for the quarter were expecting -- on average.

Those expectations are usually within a pretty tight range as they are based on the financial guidance that the company itself gives (which is, unsurprisingly, a range -- the analysts really are just picking where in the range they expect a company to hit).

With respect to the AMD results, they are good, better than the average expectations.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Stock +12.25% currently at $11,64. Even if you just bought at $10.00 last week, you will make tons of profit by the end of 2017 ;)

Reactions: Drazick