AMD Q3 Earnings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Flash831

Aug 10, 2015
It's funny that people are surprised by this quarter and the forecast.

AMD told us at the beginning of the year that the full year guidance would be 25% better than 2017.
This puts it a little below that.

Another thing to remember is that they have changed reporting standard, so they book revenue earlier than before. The effect of this:
The usually strong Q3 will instead impact Q2 so Q2 and Q3 are more in line with each other. And Q4 will be impacted by the prevously weak Q1.

I guess that Q1 guidance will be pretty solid, as that will get a little bit impacted ny the usually stronger Q2.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
The usual knee jerk reactions that if intel is doing well and AMD not as well as expected, must be intel cheating. .

That it please you or not cheating and lying is in their DNA.

As for knee jerk rection you have one below, going as far as lying in daylight :

1539008644877808506488_575px.jpg

Frst 8C/16T mainstream CPU, lol...

And of course disabling half a 8C Ryzen for "comparisons" is not cheating, isnt it...
So if even they do so publicly we can imagine how it is behind closed doors, ultimately you are supporting a firm that has low standards , live with it...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
That it please you or not cheating and lying is in their DNA.

As for knee jerk rection you have one below, going as far as lying in daylight :

1539008644877808506488_575px.jpg

Frst 8C/16T mainstream CPU, lol...

And of course disabling half a 8C Ryzen for "comparisons" is not cheating, isnt it...
So if even they do so publicly we can imagine how it is behind closed doors, ultimately you are supporting a firm that has low standards , live with it...
Once again, it is Intel's firsts...and it is entirely accurate.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

Yet the slide doesnt say so, it s all in your imagination, so much for accuracy.

That being said i expect a tsunami of FUD and unlawfull practices in the coming months, that s all is left for Intel to counter 2019 EPYC/Ryzen 2s, perfs are already hinted and they appear as being very competitive against Intel s 2020 line up..

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012

Yet the slide doesnt say so, it s all in your imagination, so much for accuracy.
1st off zen is a server design,but even if you think about server as mainstream zen is not one cpu it is two cpus connected by infinity and it shows a good deal especially if you fail to overclock the memory.
So intel is completely justified to state this.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
https://www.hardware.fr/articles/965-3/performances-jeux-3d.html
Look at the i7-7700k ,if you would cut the 9900k in half and downclock it a bit you would get the 7700k,you wouldn't even have seen any difference or at least it's still much faster then even the full 2700x but with the ryzen halving it gets you huge drops in performance.
Although it's not good that they did it but it does show how bad zen is at gaming.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
1st off zen is a server design,but even if you think about server as mainstream zen is not one cpu it is two cpus connected by infinity and it shows a good deal especially if you fail to overclock the memory.

100X lol, but i thought that it was a DT chip glued for yielding a server chip, dixit Intel, and surely you as well if we were talking of Epyc..

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/965-3/performances-jeux-3d.html
Look at the i7-7700k ,if you would cut the 9900k in half and downclock it a bit you would get the 7700k,you wouldn't even have seen any difference or at least it's still much faster then even the full 2700x but with the ryzen halving it gets you huge drops in performance.
Although it's not good that they did it but it does show how bad zen is at gaming.

Please abstain from this bad faith, to defend the indefensible is the best road to sink to new lows..

What would you say if it was AMD comparing a 2700X to half a 9900K, whatever the resulting numbers...?.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

That being said i expect a tsunami of FUD and unlawfull practices in the coming months, that s all is left for Intel to counter 2019 EPYC/Ryzen 2s, perfs are already hinted and they appear as being very competitive against Intel s 2020 line up..
IMO, the "first" slide complaint is petty...it just makes you look like you are reaching for anything to take a poke at Intel.
There are far better things you could jab at Intel with, imo.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
IMO, the "first" slide complaint is petty...it just makes you look like you are reaching for anything to take a poke at Intel.
There are far better things you could jab at Intel with, imo.

That was an exemple among others, it s just the most recent, i could have pointed the despicable smear campaign against Epyc or the recently engaged kickbacks on specific offers.

Notice that the latter practice couldnt exist in public administration bids because it would be unlawfull to revise the offer after envelopes have been opened.

In privately negociated sales it s no more lawfull as the kickback is apparently paid as a compensation for servers sold by OEMs, the same way you would get a check after buying an Intel based laptop (instead of an AMD one) at Bestbuy....

Mar 10, 2006
Nevermind. This is an AMD Q3 thread. Discussion of Intel/Chromebooks should be in another thread. Sorry for the derail.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
The usual knee jerk reactions that if intel is doing well and AMD not as well as expected, must be intel cheating.

I haven't seen one post saying this. Do you think the payola and blackmail in the past are just figments of peoples imagination? The Principled Technology benchmarks were fair and accurate?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/4EA1B704-D7DD-11E8-8A88-5BB37BE5C036

This seems to be saying they sold ~$100,000,000.00 LESS GPU than expected due to Crypto craze bubble pop.

#1, this shows how freakishly many GPUs miners were buying, especially on the more organized levels.

#2, all that excess inventory is especially poorly timed now, with everything in consideration. Holding onto it without deep discounts in a hurry might be even worse than trying to hope for a major GPU Crypto rebound along with no compelling product from Nvidia to grab the same consumers.

#3, much of this should also be affecting Nvidia in nearly identical fashion, as the lag between production orders, manufacturing, and Q&A means committing to vast quantities, and then when Crypto bubble popped, they were left holding the bag on everything already set in motion. So, huge inventory of Pascal sitting around.

#4, An almost unfathomable number of privately held miner GPUs are out there. I'd imagine many are probably holding pat hoping there is some reason to keep them and start it up again, and mining businesses who raised investment who are still yet to reach the point of analysis on whether they should liquidate.

It all points for me to the possibility of one of the best times for consumer deals on GPUs in ages, if not ever. Some minor rebadging perhaps and putting them out there at good prices will get some revenue cranking and salvage some of the expenditure, while sitting on it further risks being late to the punch for the rival company to get there first. It's a timed game after all, once 7nm GPUs, and Navi/Nvidia 21xx/30xx hit, it's going to be that much harder to move ~2017-era products.

neblogai

Oct 29, 2017
It all points for me to the possibility of one of the best times for consumer deals on GPUs in ages, if not ever. Some minor rebadging perhaps and putting them out there at good prices will get some revenue cranking and salvage some of the expenditure, while sitting on it further risks being late to the punch for the rival company to get there first. It's a timed game after all, once 7nm GPUs, and Navi/Nvidia 21xx/30xx hit, it's going to be that much harder to move ~2017-era products.

Yes, it will be interesting. AMD are saying they are going to keep about the same ASP while clearing the channel. Also, I believe mining is still profitable for those who invested, so no real flood of used GPU should be incoming to disrupt new sales. And, there is an abundance of these new GPUs. With mining craze having ended, price of GDDR5 seems to be dropping as well. Many AMD buyers were not keen to buy at inflated prices these past ~1,5 years. Now, with a push from AMD (a refresh to RX590), lots of inventory in the channel, good prices, and holiday season- midrange GPU market should be very active and offer good deals.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
^^ I'm seeing Ether proof of stake date of mid 2019, so about 8 months.

But more importantly, before that, major miners are probably going to have to get onto Lavasnow and other advanced ETH ASICs or be completely shut out of competition, much like how ASICs crushed Bitcoin GPU mining bitd. About 10x faster than a 1080 or 570 for ETH, at a tiny fraction of the power consumption, space, and heat generated. ETH was ASIC resistant, but 2nd gen ETH ASICs are hitting in the current timeframe, so it could be as soon as November before running GPU for ETH would be pointless.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Unbelievable how much AMD's stock price has tanked since they announced earnings for their latest qtr.

Are investors spooked at the pace of AMD's market share gains?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
^^ I'm seeing Ether proof of stake date of mid 2019, so about 8 months.

Sadly, the EF is reporting bugs and other hindrances in advancing the Ethereum feature set. Proof-of-Stake may not be fully implemented (with sharding) until 2021.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Sadly, the EF is reporting bugs and other hindrances in advancing the Ethereum feature set. Proof-of-Stake may not be fully implemented (with sharding) until 2021.

Ah, that's probably good news for the ASICs and Canaan in particular. When those ramp up it's gonna be bananas. I remember my 290X and Bitcoin. Went from okay to utterly pointless overnight.

Aug 11, 2008
Unbelievable how much AMD's stock price has tanked since they announced earnings for their latest qtr.

Are investors spooked at the pace of AMD's market share gains?
Maybe, but the expectations were simply unrealistic and the share price too high.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ah, that's probably good news for the ASICs and Canaan in particular. When those ramp up it's gonna be bananas. I remember my 290X and Bitcoin. Went from okay to utterly pointless overnight.

Right now, there is some debate in the Ethereum development community as to whether they should commit the time necessary to switch algorithms to kill current and future ASICs.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
So by your reckoning Intel could legitimately say that they are the only supplier of CPUs in the mainstream market. AMD is only producing cut down server CPUs afterall...?
I guess you work in a marketing department because your ability to spout drivel is exceptional.

Reactions: Grazick

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
So by your reckoning Intel could legitimately say that they are the only supplier of CPUs in the mainstream market. AMD is only producing cut down server CPUs afterall...?
I guess you work in a marketing department because your ability to spout drivel is exceptional.
No no you got yourself mixed up,you are the one who spouts drivel.
They (intel) are the only supplier of mainstream CPUs in the market,that's the correct way. AMD also sells CPUs to the mainstream market after all.
And drivel or not it's 100% accurate which makes it 100% legal which is why nobody can touch them.