AMD q3 earnings - 23% yoy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
That's more money to invest in future product development, when you consider future prospect it was a solid quarter. Good for AMD

Last edited:

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
...meaning it's back to approximately where it was mid-week before the pre-earnings run-up.

Jesus, what is it with this board?
They are happy with the monopolistic landscape and inflated pricing in the x86 marketspace. There are people who prefer brands at any given time, then there are blind fanboys. The Intel trolls smack of Samsung smartphone fanboys around here because they don't just espouse love for a brand, they admonish anything else.

Reactions: Gikaseixas

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!1 Haha

49ab199a10bd9242c1d229b2118d7be6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
BTW, why does the thread title advertise -23% yoy? It's very misleading considering it isn't consistent with the other thread title by the same poster, 6% yoy for intel.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
I'm still kicking myself for selling my shares that I bought back when they were < $3. Learned my lesson and have been buying small lots during dips, bought a bunch the day after earnings when people sold their profits.

Stocks aside, I'm just excited to see AMD rise up again and bring solid competition to Intel. Hoping we'll seem some major innovations in the next 10 years while they duke it out.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
BTW, why does the thread title advertise -23% yoy? It's very misleading considering it isn't consistent with the other thread title by the same poster, 6% yoy for intel.
"Poster" here. Give me some of that stuff. Now !

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
He s not wrong, though, here what you wrote :

AMD q3 earnings - 23% yoy

While you could have mentioned instead :

AMD q3 earnings + 23% yoy

Yes exactly. Or just 23% yoy like he did with the intel thread; 6 yoy. It's deceptive and gives an impression, whether intentional or not. From his/her response, i'm leaning toward intentional.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It's a dash mark, not a minus sign. To most readers who are not privvy or do not care about the rivalry between AMD and Intel's fans and instead follow the rules of reading English, it's dash mark. You have to be something special of the the wrong variety to think that was a minus sign given the lack of a colon. The other thread is poor punctuation and has the effect of a run-on sentence, an indication of laziness, not bias.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
To most readers who are not privvy or do not care .

To most readers once Piesquared made the remark Krumme should had edited the OP, wich he didnt, rather he implied that Piesquared was high, that s a poor answer and the fact that he didnt edit his post is an aknowledgement.

Indeed you can check the forum history, each AMD quarter earnings related thread is initiated by someone
who is obviously an anti AMD guy as proved by their historics, at the end you re stating against all evidences that there can be some smoke without any fire involved..

Stormflux

Jul 21, 2010
So... if AMD stock reaches ~$7.60 once more, what's the harm in them AGAIN diluting their stock to pay off even more debt? I'm not at all into finance, so I'm just curious.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So... if AMD stock reaches ~$7.60 once more, what's the harm in them AGAIN diluting their stock to pay off even more debt? I'm not at all into finance, so I'm just curious.

I don't really know, but I would imagine there would be a much slower recovery and possibly a real negative reaction from investors. PC sales reports have hurt both Intel and AMD, so larger market issues, and with AMD having low expectations for this Q4, such a further dilution would go against them. If they were do do it again, they may wait until a higher price.

But, at the same time, this was largely a debt sale to Mubadala, I think? selling another ~$Billion in shares to the same entity would be a bad idea. I don't know the exact details of how that sale happened and the percentage of those shares that actually went over to Mubadala, but I know they were able to grab a nice chunk of AMD.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Have anyone actually read the title and thought it was a minus?
If - just reading just 2 sentenses more and its perfectly obvious it isnt.
Its a dash mark. Take a rest and cool down.
For both the amd and intel q3 earnings thread the intention was to give a thread start as objective and cool as possible.
Therefore no personal comments and remarks included except a single sentence about dcg in Intel thread.
Excactly to avoid the usual start where people try to spin the results in a certain direction.

There is actually still sane people left in this warzone. I am not going to alter the title.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I never thought it was a minus, but I see that it can easily be confused as such by some.

But, I find this to be a silly point of contention in the thread. I don't know what real world influence warrants the seriousness of demanding that it be removed from this thread title?

Reactions: tg2708
Mar 10, 2006
For both the amd and intel q3 earnings thread the intention was to give a thread start as objective and cool as possible.
Therefore no personal comments and remarks included except a single sentence about dcg in Intel thread.
Excactly to avoid the usual start where people try to spin the results in a certain direction.

There is actually still sane people left in this warzone. I am not going to alter the title.

Your thread title was fine, and your posts appear to have been good faith attempts to simply post information. I don't see the problem here.

Reactions: tg2708

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

That s a concentration of bad faith....

An exemple ?..

If it was only for the dash then it would have been present in the two threads titles, so it s clear that there s an intention, whatever your sayings your writings are contradicting them...

I am not going to alter the title.

And why not..?..

Because being unclear in the title was the real purpose of this minus branded as a dash but cautiously not used for the other thread title..

Now while we are at it a tech forum is about enginering matters, and genuine enginering require being accurate in the writings, notice that it s also the case with financial matters where the +-x/ operations are ubiquitous in the explanations, so using a dash before a number cant be done by chance since it give another meaning to the number, a dash can be used to separate two words but certainly not a word and a number.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
You have to realize that spaces appear small with today's highres displays. I did not think the number was negative but can see how some might. Even if you can't take the two seconds to edit the thread title, for next time, there is a key that is a better fit in this circumstance:

IHtWX1v.png

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Your thread title was fine, and your posts appear to have been good faith attempts to simply post information. I don't see the problem here.

I agree with Krang....or whatever brain-spider is supposed to be. :p

In other news, current explosion up to $7.30, so opening @ nearly 12% above the pre-Friday doom and gloom. so like, 20% climb since close on Friday. No, I don't expect them to close this high today, but then no one knows anything about the day-to-day, week-to-week-, year-to-year of what the market will do.

I might as well promise that it will close today up 250% Why not? :D

Mar 10, 2006
I agree with Krang....or whatever brain-spider is supposed to be. :p

Arachnotron, dude!! If you have NOT played the game from which I hail (Doom II), I highly recommend DROPPING WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING NOW, picking up copies of Doom and Doom II on Steam, and playing both games until you have killed every last bad guy :)

Moderator Shmee has a similar looking avatar, but we're not quite the same -- that one is a Spider Mastermind (bigger version of me but with a big chain-gun -- I have a plasma gun).