AMD q3 earnings - 23% yoy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Apparently investors don't share the optimistic spin put on the earnings report by some in this forum, since the share price dropped like a rock this morning and is still down more than 6%.
Intel also down. The stock market is just ridiculous.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
most likely a reaction to the 4 qtr projections.
What seems to be the trend is Lisa is much more conservative and realistic compared to the rest of amd history. That was badly needed. People just need to set expectations low and in accordance to the size of the company and stock value. And mess of ownership and wsa. I still think its highly risky stuff but each to his own.

KTE

May 26, 2016
Good progression but ASPs/Margins are very low.

Sent from HTC 10
(Opinions are own)

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Its not only debt reduction. Its was the debt that was due next and also more expensive debt as i understand it.
Seems to me they are planning long term here with those debt reorganization.
Prepare for the wsa battle from 2020 to 2025. It can turn nasty. Amd vs mubadala. FIGHT! lol
Perhaps more mubadala amd ownership comming that could be the solution to that. Its set at max 19.9% now via the new wsa agreement but who knows what is needed in 2020 when perhaps final round starts?

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
It'll be good news when the improvement is from product and not account juggling. The debt shifting and GloFo contract adjustments give them breathing room for some time.

Hope they can take advantage of it.

kraatus77

Aug 26, 2015
They made more money and paid some of debt, plus increased cash in hand.

so overall did good for their future.

Reactions: cytg111

kraatus77

Aug 26, 2015
Glass is half empty or half full. you can take it as positive(red) or negative(green).

kraatus77

Aug 26, 2015
i don't know what you want to hear.

first you asked if they made money or not. i told you they did.

then you asked are they in red or green i told you it's not that clear situation.

now you want someone else to explain. i guess you have made your mind already and just want to hear it from someone else ?

reported for trolling.

Reactions: superstition
Aug 11, 2008
mabe i'll ask more clearly.....
Are they in the green or in the red.
It is a l
kraatus77 please don't help me.
someone else?
You can try make sense of it from the article linked to anand tech. They actually lost 50 cents per share net, but also reduced debt and took some charges to renegotiate the WSA. Margins also remained terrible. So it is in fact a mixed bag.

Reactions: KTE

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
It is a l

You can try make sense of it from the article linked to anand tech. They actually lost 50 cents per share net, but also reduced debt and took some charges to renegotiate the WSA. Margins also remained terrible. So it is in fact a mixed bag.
thanks.

I was just wondering if they were in real bad shape like last year.
Seems they are bleeding less, that's good.

kraatus77

Aug 26, 2015

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
most likely a reaction to the 4 qtr projections.

That really shouldn't be a surprise. AMD sells the chips that go into the consoles for the holidays in the 3Q.

Zen's obviously what matters in terms of AMD's future but the other problem they have is that the third year is typically the peak of console sales. PS4 Pro and Scorpio might help alleviate that but it's not something they should bank on.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That really shouldn't be a surprise. AMD sells the chips that go into the consoles for the holidays in the 3Q.

Zen's obviously what matters in terms of AMD's future but the other problem they have is that the third year is typically the peak of console sales. PS4 Pro and Scorpio might help alleviate that but it's not something they should bank on.

ya, Q1 2017 is the most crucial qtr, imo. ...assuming that is when we do see Zen sales. the entire year has been steady improvement: increasing sales and massive debt drawdown. The best way to look at these very good quarters is that while increasing sales consistently, they are also losing far less money qtr on qtr. would be GREAT to also show a net profit, but the reality is that it could have been much, much, much worse. They have consistently outperformed their best projections, which is very good news.

Losing less is way better than losing more. :D Even if you are still selling more doohickies. They are reporting piles more money into R&D as well. I think the only bummer here, for AMD, are the poor margins. But, whatever.

kraatus77

Aug 26, 2015
When you pay your debts and have more cash in hand than before, also have more choice regarding which foundry to choose for future products.

then yes, it's a "very good quarter".

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It is a "very good quarter" when you lose less money than you have in the past??

600+mill in debt load paid down. $50mil savings per month going back into R&D. sales up 20% YoY, 9% QtQ. beat loss projections of -0.08 to -0.03, iirc.

By any metric that involves math: yes, it was a very good quarter.

I'm starting to think numbers aren't your thing...