AMD pricing....Bang for the buck Title anyone???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
From Anands KT333 round up.

"Although every single motherboard in this roundup had over two DIMM slots, almost a third of the boards had problems working with more than two DIMM slots populated running at DDR333 speeds. With the KT400, it will be even more difficult to guarantee stable operation at DDR400 speeds with more than two DIMMs."

I845E round up

"Complicating matters further was the fact that very few 845E boards exhibited any stability issues that could differentiate it from the other 845E boards"

And re-reading the article I found none.

Then if you overclock, which most of us do, heat will come into play with the t-bred more-so affecting stablity. And it requires more aggressive hsf which adds to the total cost.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Hmmm...what was the date on the KT333 roundup por que? IIRC, the boards tested have been outclassed by the current generation of KT333/8235 motherboards, and even the KT400. Speeds of 230mhz FSB have been reached so far...only thing holding it back is a lack of a 1/6 PCI divisor or a AGP/PCI lock. It's kind of funny, you quote a part of the review that mentions they can't run three DIMM's of PC2700 reliably....maybe that's why Intel's chipset is usually limited to two DIMMs? Hmm...I wonder....

Then if you overclock, which most of us do, heat will come into play with the t-bred more-so affecting stablity. And it requires more aggressive hsf which adds to the total cost.

Interesting...who mentioned the Tbred? The 1600+, a Palomino core, will run 350mhz-400mhz over it's rated speed, with a FSB of 166mhz+ with no extra voltage or extra cooling. For example, I have a 1600+ @ 166mhz FSB, 1.75ghz with only a $15 Taisol HSF and no case fans at all. No expensive cooling, no excessive heat, no stability loss @ 166mhz FSB since the PCI and AGP are in spec @ 33mhz and 66mhz respectively. I have passive cooling on the video card and the Northbridge as well.

:)

Platinum321

Nov 1, 1999
I've built at least a dozen systems.. and generally, AMD gives me more problems w/ software and just take a whole lot more time setting up/ troubleshooting. Be it, I sometimes build AMD systems that are perfectly stable, but it's usually not a guarantee probably due to crappy chipsets they have available for them. Heat/noise are other issues I go w/ Intel.

Anyhow, at this point, Intel is the obvious choise for price/performance/quality except the extreme low end which doesn't make any money for the company. That may contribute to AMD's current financial results.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001

In a thread that was about pricing, who would post something like this? First of all the thread turned toward the XP1600+ which is a Palamino, not a Thoroughbred. Second, as Insane3D mentioned most XP1600's will hit a 166MHz fsb (1743MHz) with stock core voltage and cooling, mine does.

Most ludicrous of all is the fact that the cheapest Northwood 1.6a to be found on pricewatch is $153. So even if the XP1600 did take an expensive heatsink, I doubt if it will be that much with a heatsink.

XP1600+ AGOIA-Y $54
refurbished 8K7A at newegg $31
256MB of PC2700 $54
Speeze SuperRock heatsink $14
total $153

These prices are available at newegg as I type this. This combo will get you to an easy 1800MHz and is not too loud. This will roughly match the performance of a 1.6a@2.2-2.4GHz. Yes, it might be slightly behind a 2.7GHz overclock, but then some people have gotten the XP1600+ over 1900MHz.

There is absolutely no way Intel can compare in bang for the buck, even if you take into account the P4's best/cheapest overclocking cpu!

Just go take a look at P3 prices, they cost more that the Xp1600+, what's up with that? The only good price for Intel is the Celeron Tualatin, and I bought two of those.

Yes, the higher clocked P4's are the king in top speed when overclocked to 3GHz+, but is it worth the price? I mean with the 2.8GHz going for $480, I can build a complete 1800MHz Athlon system with a Geforce4 Ti 4200 or Radeon 8500 128MB and have a few bucks leftover. Oh well, that's just my humble opinion, if people like buying those expensive P4 cpu's, then more power to them.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Yes but then figure in the fact I paid 130 for my 1.6 that gets me to 2.74ghz but with an insane 684fsb so in some test it score higher then a comparable 2.8ghz with a 533fsb (on like board and setup)...

Some guys have 1.8's selling for around 130's I think now hitting 2.8ghz with 600+fsb's....

So don't compare it to a non oced system...compare it to an oc'd p4 capable machine....

Hands down the 1600+ is the BEST!! Does it need to be said 1000 times!!!

It is in the upper relams of the new 2200,2400, and 2600 the price performance is not there at current prices and then figure in ocing it is still not there and likely will be worse when c1 steppin chips start hitting shelves in Nov. 02.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
AMD pricing....Bang for the buck Title anyone???

XP 1600+ without a doubt, didn't even need to unlock it.....runs 2200+ 24/7. The only instability I've seen has been self inflicted, cost $56 shipped to my door, used all my "old" parts.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Insane3DInteresting...who mentioned the Tbred? The 1600+, a Palomino core, will run 350mhz-400mhz over it's rated speed, with a FSB of 166mhz+ with no extra voltage or extra cooling. For example, I have a 1600+ @ 166mhz FSB, 1.75ghz with only a $15 Taisol HSF and no case fans at all. No expensive cooling, no excessive heat, no stability loss @ 166mhz FSB since the PCI and AGP are in spec @ 33mhz and 66mhz respectively. I have passive cooling on the video card and the Northbridge as well.

:)

The first poster did. Then, this thread got into the 1600 which everyone agrees has the price/performance crown at the lower end. Why can't you admit Intel owns at the higher end price/performance right now? and the 1.8a is the best OCable chip right now, sometimes a 1000mhz OC?

Anyway. I just happy AMD is there so Intel can no longer price gauge us.

CheapTOFU

Mar 7, 2002
I have used both P4 and xp..
What is the difference between 2.4 ghz P4 and 1600+ xp?
just price...

Sure, P4 may be faster according to benchmarking program...
But, in the real world I see NO~ difference in speed...

so XP is better..

and you know how much the heatsinks for XP are?
well~ $10 heatsink works well with XP...
Total=64 shipped