Feb 19, 2001
Sell my Opty 170, go CPU-less, live on my laptop for a while (forget burning DVDs sniff sniff) and can't accesss 500gb of data, and then buy a CPU when its cheaper?

dumb huh?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: neutralizer
Why would anyone buy it if they are anticipating the price cut?
What's that theory called about how once information goes public, the market has already reacted and adjusted for it? This was more in relation to stocks and such, not necessarily processors :p

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001

did you know there was an anticipated price cut? I didnt? most people arent informed... sooo

market price is market price

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dxkj

did you know there was an anticipated price cut? I didnt? most people arent informed... sooo

People who's shopping for a processor should be informed about potential price cuts.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001

People who's shopping for a processor should be informed about potential price cuts.

should != would

I agree, but it just isn't reality....

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001

should != would

I agree, but it just isn't reality....

Well, it just makes it harder to sell. Not to mention the hassle of not having a processor.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Last time I bought a CPU I looked for the best price online, I didnt do market research to see how the value would keep :p

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

eBayers are stupid. I sold a P4 Northwood 2.4C for a vastly inflated price only a few weeks ago. :p

cleanerupper

Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Sell my Opty 170, go CPU-less, live on my laptop for a while (forget burning DVDs sniff sniff) and can't accesss 500gb of data, and then buy a CPU when its cheaper?

dumb huh?

What exactly do you have 500GB of? :Q

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
It's a bit risky, you probably won't get as much as you'd hope. However, if you were going to sell it anyway, then there's no reason to wait

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
You gotta at least keep a decent cpu on your main rig.

The price cuts will take a while to be implemented and your cpu should be valuable for the short term anyway.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Crazyfool

The price cuts will take a while to be implemented and your cpu should be valuable for the short term anyway.

It all depends. Frankly, I wouldn't expect him to see more than $20 difference if he sells his CPU now versus later. I would just wait, $20 isn't worth it to me. The question is how much the OP values his main rig and how long he is willing to go without it (not long if he has 500GB full of pr0n)

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Originally posted by: Crazyfool

It all depends. Frankly, I wouldn't expect him to see more than $20 difference if he sells his CPU now versus later. I would just wait, $20 isn't worth it to me. The question is how much the OP values his main rig and how long he is willing to go without it (not long if he has 500GB full of pr0n)

Well I'd be CPU-less if I sold my Opteron. I don't have a backup CPU or anything. Heh, just a thought. I don't think I'll be selling this, but to think that Ispent $400 on this CPU when it's going to be worth slightly under $220? Bleh.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
How much could you sell it for *now*? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd never buy a used processor... and if I would, I don't think I'd pay more than 75% of retail for it considering that I have no idea how well the previous owner treated it. You're probably looking at a $100 profit... how long would you have to wait to buy it for less? I'm not a poor college student anymore, but I do remember $100 being a hell of a lot of money to me then. But then again I wasn't the type to spend $400 on a processor either... I think the most I've ever spent on a processsor was $150.