AMD Price cut

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Cogman
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
I here this allthe time. Iuse to agree . Idon't care knows this stuff I don't . But the way I read it . AMDs 45nm process is designed to go right to 32nm . So they may catch intel napping . Plus the new fab company owners can push up 32 development. Who knows . But the exact same applies to Intel from 32 to 22nm.

Other way around, Intel greased the skids to transition from 45nm to 32nm by adopting HK/MG at 45nm.

AMD's got a LOT of work to do in the production environment with HK/MG just to get up the learning curve that Intel has alreday climbed. I'm talking device reliability and characterization, mastering new yield loss mechanisms that simply don't exist on traditional SiON/poly-Si gate stacks, etc.

AMD's plus is that they have put immersion litho into production before Intel. This will be one less hassle for AMD as they transition to 32nm but there is absolutely no comparing the technical difficulties and differences between implementing a robust HK/MG integration scheme and implementing a turn-key supplier provided piece if equipment (ASML will sell the immersion litho equipment to anyone, AMD does not own the technology).

I thought that AMD was going fabless though? (IE they are not building any more new fabs in the near future). I feel so out of the loop.

It will be interesting to see how this price war pans out. Hopefully it doesn't end with AMD being out.

As I understand the whole 'deal': AMD has discussed the option of high-k/metal-gate in future spins at 45nm. With their limited resources it would be difficult to see any benefit in reaching full-production but who really knows what AMD has up their sleeve other than simple survival.

It would not be out of character for them to do some wacky 'proof of concept' in their process before moving down.

I think the 'Fab Deal' requires ground to be broken this spring on the Malta facility for 32nm. Where this fits in AMD's Grand Plan I'm not sure anyone knows.

UMC validated high-k/metal-gate at 45nm last month with the intention of 32nm in 2010. I don't know the current status of their relationship with AMD only to say that over the last eight years or so there have been exclusive 'arrangements' between UMC & AMD.

When you factor in TSMC announced a half-node (40nm) SOI last summer it looks like the dots are aligning for 'Shrike'. Shrike is the mobile platform with the 'Swift' microprocessor. The Swift CPU is the basis for the whole fusion thing and I think it's first run is to include 2 microprocessor cores and a GPU core on die.

It looks like the overriding issue with Swift is that folks have been slow thus far to incorporate any of AMDs SSE5 instructions (which is required to take advantage of the parallel processing power of the GPU on the die).

Got that? You will be tested later :D

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Denithor
Originally posted by: Quizard
THANKS INTEL FOR UR SUPPOSED PRICE CUTS!!! :)

Huh? Intel's price cuts have already gone through...just go look at mwave.

q9550 - $274
q9400 - $224

Newegg has started easing their prices down but hasn't just dropped them like mwave did.

PLus from what i can tell the Q9400 is a good comparison against the 940....about a 7% loss for 20% smaller clock speed....

I imagine ocing may prove the winner here..bang for the buck....If Q9400 can OC to same clock speed it will likely win by 10%+....

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
I know ya don't like me not many do. Hell the guys I use to work with hated my guts . The people I live around love me it took along time tho. I have not ever changed I am the same today as I was 50 years ago . Its not what ya say or how ya say it. It what you do that counts . Go that extra mile for people . Than they start thinking

I set the bar to high and pushed my self to hard according to the weak hearted fools.

If a man hires me to do a job . I work just as hard @ $1 hour as I do for $100 an hour . To me there is no differance none. I agreed to give the man an hour of My work . That doesn't change because of $$$.

Pride honor dignity. Things worth living for. The guys didn't like me. No biggie. They sugared My fuel tanks which did them no good . I was ready for it . Hell I never even let them know I new . They cut my tires . I fixed without uttering a word . I just plan ignored them . It drove them crazy. Company always paid for damages.

You every shot a man . ya ever felt the pain of it . Or the nite mares it brings.

Don't bother me with your gammer spelling sucks. It means nothing .

maybe you should have worked harder in english class.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Poking a little fun is to be expected and from all accounts appears to be well-received.

I'm sure he appreciates the tough love, but there is such a thing as overdoing it.

Let's just make sure we keep it classy gentlemen and don't go overboard with the beat on Nemesis theme we got going this week.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: snakeye
Just wondering, is there anything legally preventing Intel from constantly replying to AMD's price cuts? Cause I'm pretty sure Intel can afford to keep dropping, but not AMD.

Legally? no...there are 2 caveats however:
1. They must keep it above their cost to avoid predatory pricing laws.
2. They must offer financial incentives to their customers equally instead of on a local basis. The problem here would be Intel using their market position and cash to "buy" AMD out of business. When you give customized incentives to individual customers, you are in essence paying that customer not to carry the competitors equipment. Not allowed...

However, that said I think you are not understanding just how expensive it is for Intel to cut prices...
Remember that it costs them not just the reduced price, but also the administrative and marketing costs associated with changing skus.
I know that many have mentioned AMD laying off 1,100 employees, but Intel is now laying off 6,000 employees as well, and they are also shutting down facilities.
The point is, there is most certainly a "bottom" to this "price war", and I suspect it will be close now.

Dec 24, 2008
I have doubts. Predatory pricing-doesn't that mean putting prices below production costs to try to take market share/in this case, make another company bankrupt? That means that as long as intel keep their costs above production costs, they won't be in trouble. The only thing I can imagine is the shareholders backing out at the reduction in profits.
Oh yes, please try and support AMD, if they loose, we all lose... especially intel users

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
With Intel profits down 90%, and AMDs mounting losses both financially and in market share... I dont think Intel has incentive to try to snap up what little is left.