News AMD previews Ryzen 3rd generation at CES

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Naturally, the display output lines conflicting with the x16 slot connectivity is also not true. I didn'T check but it is very unlikely, because you would need some switching hardware on motherboard for that - makes no sense really a mobo vendors would hate that because extra cost.

I am pretty sure this is the case though. When Intel went LGA for their CPU's it put a lot of packaging costs off Intel's hands and onto the manufacturers. For Retail boards this isn't a huge deal but for OEM guys this was huge. AM4 was designed and specifically avoided going LGA at the behest of board manufacturers retail and OEM.

I tried to find a pin out but came up empty handed but every piece of information we have is that AM4 is heavily packed in pin usuage. This could be them being forward thinking and have pins that might not be in use now but will with Zen 2 and Zen 3. But still if you were creating a die that wasn't going to have support for those 8x PCIe lanes, would you continue to throw those PHY's in? Their absence doesn't mean that is sole reason why they have less PCIe lanes.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Re-using the pins in that way would definately need hardware switching on the motherboards, i have a A320 on my hands right now and there is nothing that could be a hardware switch.
The only possible way is that the SB are the ones doing that.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Possible reasons for about 3 month delay of Zen2 compared to what we thought. (6 months between demo and launch)
- New chip set motherboards are not ready. (PCIe4)
- Extra silicon stepping required to fix some problems in hardware.
(will the I/O die get a stepping?)
- Improving latency related things.
- Time needed to optimizing some new AI/ML or other fancy feature.
- Waiting for MS, maybe requiring some fancy new Core/Thread Handling for games and >8 core models.
- They will not have enough CPU's to launch in April, need more stock. (Who does NOT want a 7nm ZEN2?)
- Emptying the Ryzen 2000 stock.
- No need to launch early, and later launch means cheaper production, while they can fine tune and be sure of it.
-They feel a bit sorry for intel ;)

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Possible reasons for about 3 month delay of Zen2 compared to what we thought. (6 months between demo and launch)
- New chip set motherboards are not ready. (PCIe4)
- Extra silicon stepping required to fix some problems in hardware.
(will the I/O die get a stepping?)
- Improving latency related things.
- Time needed to optimizing some new AI/ML or other fancy feature.
- Waiting for MS, maybe requiring some fancy new Core/Thread Handling for games and >8 core models.
- They will not have enough CPU's to launch in April, need more stock. (Who does NOT want a 7nm ZEN2?)
- Emptying the Ryzen 2000 stock.
- No need to launch early, and later launch means cheaper production, while they can fine tune and be sure of it.
-They feel a bit sorry for intel ;)

For some reason, the last one doesn't seem likely, but stranger things have happened.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I think it's the right path for AMD to nail down and test this 8 Core part before building the 16 core part or adding in the GPU, Maybe they will do both? Take your pic, 16 core or 8 core APU. That would be funky.

I wonder if this will come with a cooler? Or will it be just the chip and you buy the aftermarket cooler... When I bought a thread ripper I got the enermax to go along with it, it died a horrible death... Not the chip but the cooler. My thought was to push the threadripper as fast as it could go on water at reasonable temps... But, after that was a mess, I bought a high end noctua NH-U14S went back to air cooling. While it allowed for small OC bump... It's not an OC monster as you would get from a custom loop. My point to all this is... I hope this time around, AMD will get its act together and offer better cooling for its products. I heard that this chip was running on air, but a hefty cooler to benchmark it. So.... I'm kinda wondering, if they did make a 16 core version of this chip, they would need some serious cooling ... Or even possibly a water cooler that is included with the CPU. That would be a first.