AMD Phenom II x4 965 and GTX 670

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Nice benchie shots. I got one word for the OP. Bottleneck!!!

Thats a CPU from 3 years ago or so. The 670 will perform, but say at a scene with action you get 20fps, with a new Sandy 2500k youll get 40fps or more, just a guesstimate. gl

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
How many avg fps do you guys think I could expect on a 32 player Caspian Border at Ultra settings, 4xmsaa, 1080p? Thanks for all the great info guys.

Take your current system and set visual details to low. That will pretty effectively show you what you can expect even with a new GPU, but you'll be able to crank up the visuals to max and maintain that same framerate.

obZen

Dec 3, 2012
Take your current system and set visual details to low. That will pretty effectively show you what you can expect even with a new GPU, but you'll be able to crank up the visuals to max and maintain that same framerate.

Hm, well playing at low settings 1080p on a 32 player Caspian Border I was avging around 65 fps. Lowest fps was about 55.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Hm, well playing at low settings 1080p on a 32 player Caspian Border I was avging around 65 fps. Lowest fps was about 55.
In BF3 all you need on high is Mesh quality. The rest can be on low or medium for competitive play(most competitive players don't give rats ass for visuals,it's just fps and fast killing).

If you want visuals to be on the absolute maximum while playing on 64slot servers then you need absolute maximum CPU and GPU can provide,so 39xxK and GTX680 (unless you want to just look at beautiful scenery and get killed all the time ;).

edit: to get best visuals and little cost on performance front on your current machine, google "danoc's FXAA injector" and download and install the "performance version".

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
Not true. Online play is very CPU heavy. For reference, my i7-920 was bottlenecking GTX 560 Ti in 64-player Conquest which is probably the most popular game mode. FPS would be 60 most of the time but it would drop to 45 on occasion and GPU-Z would report much less than full GPU load during those moments.

Phenom II X4 is a good 30-50% slower than i7-920, and GTX 670 is 70% faster than 560 Ti. There will be bottlenecking pretty much all the time during online play, and it will be severe on the larger servers.

Funny I don't have any problems that you speak of.

Hubb1e

Aug 25, 2011

If that is the biggest size server you play, then it sounds like your CPU is handling the game just fine.